• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Guy New to the industry, sign shop owner looking to grow business

ADVANCED DISPLAY

ADVANCED DISPLAY
Hey all, my name's Derek Collins I'm the owner of a sign shop in northeast ohio, bought the business 3+ years ago and always looking for ideas/tips from seasoned vets. Ive got one employee (been here 20 years) thank GOD! He's really good, I've tried hiring part timer's to give him some help, about 4 or 5 in the last couple years and they all just flaked out. I hate my generation.

That said I'm hoping to learn as much as possible from you all, looking to grow the business and have some ideas to do so that I'll be running by the respective forum's on here at some point. till then!

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Welcome!!

I do want to say, we have 26 employees, most of them are between 20 and 30 years old. Our turnover is very low - especially in production. Hire for attitude, not skill, listen to them, and make them feel important - because they are. Thank them every day and smile. Praise truth and ownership above all else. Messing up is part of the business! (BTW: This works on every generation)

This is an amazing industry, and if you stick with it long enough, with a true desire to improve and learn more every day, you can make a living doing it!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Hey Derek, welcome to Signs 101 from another newer business owner. Been just over 3 years for me since I bought the business.

Lots of great info here once you weed through it and find out who the good contributors are. Hint hint.... one of them already posted some great advice!

Enjoy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hi and welcome. How much knowledge and experience do you bring to your table of business ??

Never bought a business, but have been around for a bit of time doing this stuff.​

Stacey K

I like making signs
Hi! Welcome! I just stalked your website, you do nice work! I really like the Ashton van, you should put that on the vehicle page instead of ABC. I also think that banner of the pellet guy is funny! Did he stay in business during Covid? That promise he made on the banner with all the shortages we had this year, I'm super curious! It looks like you do a good variety of work, more than me so looking forward to working with you!

ADVANCED DISPLAY

ADVANCED DISPLAY
Hi! Welcome! I just stalked your website, you do nice work! I really like the Ashton van, you should put that on the vehicle page instead of ABC. I also think that banner of the pellet guy is funny! Did he stay in business during Covid? That promise he made on the banner with all the shortages we had this year, I'm super curious! It looks like you do a good variety of work, more than me so looking forward to working with you!
Funny story, TRUE story: he got out of that business a while ago, actually now he is in the water business.... I don't know much about it other than he's got a semi cab in my back garage as we speak I'm doing graphics for, he hooks up a big tank-trailer full of water and fills up swimming pools and such.... I don't know, he's still in business and buying semi's and branding for them so, water business must be booming!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Funny story, TRUE story: he got out of that business a while ago, actually now he is in the water business.... I don't know much about it other than he's got a semi cab in my back garage as we speak I'm doing graphics for, he hooks up a big tank-trailer full of water and fills up swimming pools and such.... I don't know, he's still in business and buying semi's and branding for them so, water business must be booming!
That's hilarious! Thanks for the update!