• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help New VG2 - Printed spot colors don't match the spot color chart

StreamlineDesign

Just got our new TruVis VG2 installed yesterday and it's been working and printing really well - until...

We have a job with some spot colors that I chose from the Roland Color System Library Color Chart that we printed.

The colors are WAY off. For instance PR21J on the chart looks like prints like PR19J in the artwork.
Black BK03 is a nice light/medium grey on the chart, but looks white on the artwork print.

We needed to go to PR23J for the artwork to look like PR21J on the chart
And the grey we needed to go to BK07 in the art to look like BK03 on the chart.

We have a message in to our local tech, but thought I'd try here in the meantime.

Also, we are using the new Orange ink. Where on earth do you find the color swatches to use Illustrator?
There is nothing on the included Versaworks install DVD.

Mainframe

There is something in vesaworks that has to be checked, "substitute spot color or something to that effect"

StreamlineDesign

This is our own chart, on our media in the photo above. There is no Illustrator swatch file for the new orange spot colors that correspond with it though.
So, for instance, I can't be working in Illustrator and choose to print the color [Chart 1 > D, 109] without the corresponding Illustrator swatch.

Our local tech who installed the machine didn't even realize that there are no provided swatches, and said he'd have to contact Roland.

StreamlineDesign

Oops! Sorry! I confused while dealing with two different issues. One was that Roland didn't supply a swatch set for the Orange colors as in the printed library photo above (which we now have) and the color charts printed from the new printer being way off from swatches when used in jobs.

We're going to do some further testing and print some color sample to compare with the color charts and I'll post those later. Thanks everyone!

StreamlineDesign

Here are some of the colors that are off when printed from an Illustrator .eps file compared to the Color Chart. As far as we can tell, ALL the colors are off from the way they print on the color chart.

dmQTsZ5.jpg

StreamlineDesign

There is something in vesaworks that has to be checked, "substitute spot color or something to that effect"

Ah-ha! You're right! I didn't realize our old Queues got removed from our old machine (VS540i) and were replaced with new ones (I was out of the room for that part)
We went into the new Queues and checked the "Convert To Spot Color" boxes and they are printing correctly now.
You'd think the default would be auto-checked. :confused:

Everything seems good to go now. If anyone needs the Roland TrueVis VG2 Color System Library for Orange swatches, let me know. Roland e-mailed them to me.

Thanks for your help!!!!
-Rich

Joe House

The swatches can be found in the install folder for Versaworks. The default path is: C:\Program Files\VersaWorks\Swatch\Illustrator. The file name is: Roland Orange Color System Library.ai

Good luck!