• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newb Questions

kuntry_kid

I have been reading threads and trying to search for info so I don't have to re-post, but I am still confused on something.

I have read some people just use AI and others say you can't do it all with AI you have to have a "co-cut." I do not know what a co-cut is. Is this just a snap-in for AI or a completely seperate program to send info to the cutter after creating the work in AI.

Also, does anybody have any suggestions on good books that give a good overview of different types of signs, vinyl, app methods, etc..... I ahve found this book VINYL SIGN TECHNIQUES at this link: http://www.corbingraphics.com/bookssignmaking.htm Has anyone used/read this book?

cOrKinSA

I never read it but I think they might have it at Herwecks. Did you ever go check out that place?
While you are there pick up some issues of Signcraft and also head to Amazon to go order the Mike Steven's book.

Ken

Depends on the cutter. The newer Graphtecs can cut directly from AI. Other makes do this also.
Ken

kuntry_kid

Depends on the cutter. The newer Graphtecs can cut directly from AI. Other makes do this also.
Ken

That will work out then. I am looking at the Graphtec CE5000-60 (24") to get me started with basic stuff.

The thing I am debating is whether or not to upgrade to AI C3. I have C2 education edition, but from reading a post on here I may have problems doing an upgrade with the education one.

Dave Drane

Graphtec, make very good plotters. They are a Mac truck compared to some of the others. Remember, you get what you pay for.

GP

Not sure about the upgrading question. I run C3 with my Graphtec. If I remember correctly, I downloaded the plug-in off the graphtec site. Works great.

Too bad I can't sell my LXi software back to Sign Warehouse. Salesman said I had to have a bridge, absolutely no way around it...gee, thanks.

Lesson learned...don't be afraid to ask questions. Sometimes it is worth a little flaming from the experienced folks to sort through the BS.

high impact

You will be fine with Graphtec but the FC is worth the additional cash IF you can figure it in your budget.

Graphtec's plug-in should work but I don't use it so I can't be any help there. Good luck. Ask a lot of questions and don't worry about a few flames here or there!

zgraphics

you if you want to see some vinyl action, try youtube.com, just punch in Vinyl Signs or Vinyl application? Good luck and welcome to the forum.