• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

NEWBIE... just bought Corel Draw 12

jasondrummer98

Fred-
I do not have a serial port on my computer... I don't think... sorry i'm kinda slow on this... I have 3 USB ports... one plug in that has 15 holes... and thats it... my cutter came with a 232C cord that plugs into a port on the cutter that is EXACTLY the same as my 15 hole port... but the cord is a male/female cord.. and both the port on my computer and the one on the printer is a female... I bought an add on cord that plugs into that 232C cord with a male 15 point end... and then plugs into my USB port... but again this isn't working..

My computer doesn't show a "Ports" option under device manager.... its has a PCMCIA adapter inbetween "Network Adapters" and "Processors".... and if I expand the PCMCIA adapter icon it says "Texas Instruments PCI-1410 CardBus Controller".... this any help?

thanks for all the help
Jason

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I can't answer all the questions here and I'll be happy to stand corrected, but his much i think I can say for sure:

1. The only ports I know of with 15 pins is the video connection and some telecomm connections using RS422 connection as shown here.

sd15-m.gif
sd15-f.gif

2. USB ports do not have pins. They look like a rectangle with a white strip running across and four flat connectors inside that you have to look hard to even see. Most boxes come with two USB ports located immediately adjacent to the round connectors for the keyboard and mouse.

usb1a.jpg

USB connector on PC

usb4.jpg

3. RS232 serial connections can be either DB-9 pin or DB-25 pin connectors as shown in these images.

9_pin.jpg

9_PIN_PIN_OUT.GIF

image30.gif

Bottom line is the standard way to hookup a plotter to a PC is with RS232 connections and cable. If you don't have a DB-9 or DB-25 port on your computer, you should add one or more by adding a standard Com Card available most places computers are sold. You should also identify the type of connector on your plotter since it will determine whether or not a serial, parallel or USB interface is appropriate.

Until you resolve this issue of being able to control your plotter from your software, you cannot begin to deal with your software and determine whether or not the Corel and Flexi combo you have will serve your needs and preferences.

Keep us posted.

Grady

Use the contour option in Corel for your outlines...just make sure you separate the contour prior to altering the size of the design...If you don't the outlines won't change correctly with the text...convert all lines to point .001 and you will have no problems cutting out of Corel..I do it all day..

jasondrummer98

OK so basically i need a DB-9. So just out of curiousity is there any reason that hooking the RS232 cable into a Serial to USB adapter and running it through my USB won't work? Its how I run my regular printer.

Sorry I'm kinda lost completely on this... but i'm starting to understand it a bit more. Thanks alot for ALL your help.

Jason

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
So just out of curiousity is there any reason that hooking the RS232 cable into a Serial to USB adapter and running it through my USB won't work?

Only that it isn't working and you haven't been able to get it to work like that. Since DB9's have worked so well for years and your software and hardware will almost certainly recognize that kind of hookup, it would seem to be the easiest way to resolve your hookup problems.

thomas barth

"Ok ... I'm thinking about buying CoCut or Sign Tools 3... my question is will I be able to easily add outlines and inlines and such when I add this? because basically I can't find anywhere in Corel Draw you can even add an outline to text."

Did anyone mention that text needs to be converted to curves? After kerning is finished, press ctrl-Q. The text will now be a shape and the "effects" options will work.

jasondrummer98

I've been playing with Corel some and i've gotten pretty good with the contour... it works pretty good...my problem is when I do more than one outline I can't seem to get the middle outline(s) to change color.

I'm going to get a DB-9 COM CARD tonight... hopefully that will solve my port problem...

Greg

The long and the short of it is that color selector on the contour tool doesn't work the way you expect it to (at least not the way I expect it to).

Just "Break" the contour and color each contour separately.

jasondrummer98

I went this evening to get a DB9 COM Card... and apparently... laptops cannot take these cards according to the "GEEK SQUAD" at Best Buy... who actually at first had no idea what I was talking about... and apparently I cannot add a serial port to my laptop.... Basically he told me I have to buy a PC to do anything.... although he said the adapter that I'm using to run the 9point cable into my USB should be working... someone please tell me I don't have to buy a new computer just to run this cutter!!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
No but you might need to hire someone at the local level to make it work. Had you mentioned that you're using a laptop, I never would have suggested a COM card.

jasondrummer98

ALAS! I have finally gotten my cutter to cut... well sort of...

I can transfer my Corel stuff over to Flexi and cut from Flexi... but...

for some reason the cutter doesn't do anything but cut a TON of lines in the vinyl ... it never actually cuts the lettering out that I asked it too... any thing I'm doing wrong here?

OldPaint

1st off... there aint no easy type a line and cut right now sign programs! you can forget the idea of buying a plotter, sign program and you IS A SIGN MAKER!!
old 50's song TIME! is what its gona take either with COREL or any other program. so resign yourself to these facts.
figured i needed to say it again. you bought corel, you bought a plotter and you are going into the sign business....just like that.
well now its down to the rubber meetin the road.....and aprently you dont have the KEYS TO START THE MOTOR..... sorry but you needed to do some "pre-learning" as to what you are atempting to do here.
1. before you bought the plotter you shoulda found out if it had a connection for both com & printer port.
2. you shoulda told the plotter seller you intended to use a laptop!!
3. to cut from corel you need a plotter with a printer port/usb connection. if plotter dont have printer port connection you need a cable that will go from a USB to printer port.
4. home work, home work, home work.
5. can you return plotter?
6. can you return corel 12?
7. i would then get a part time job at a sign shop or find someone local who will teach all the "details" you need to know before you sink $3-4000.00 into equipment and programs.
this is not a "turn key-type-a-line" operation...you do need some background knowledge....with out it is like entering a martial art contest......and only watched the movies...and never taking a lesson.

jasondrummer98

I didn't buy this to go into sign making business... I bought this because we own a race team that consists of 4 cars and 2 trailers that need lettering... now around my parts they will charge you upwards around $500 per car to letter a race car... and $800 or better to do a race trailer... so thus its actually me spending a couple grand to save our team money in the long run.... from what i've found out lately this is a very profitable business... but unfortunatly i have 2 businesses of my own that take up more than enough of my time. I'm just looking for help... not a critic.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Let me guess ... you also bought this cutter used so you're not getting support from whomever you bought it from in getting yourself setup either.

Now you tell us you only acquired all this so that you wouldn't have to spend the bucks with someone who has acquired the experience and successfully gotten him or herself in a position to provide you with solutions to your needs.

I see a certain irony here Jason. Do you? :rolleyes:

OldPaint

jason, i bought my 2nd plotter from a HOOTERS CUP racer. they did the same thing, and found out in the long run you are futher ahead to find a good sign person who is resonable and they will save you from the agrivation and spending your time learning all there is to know how to operate the plotter and work the program.
yes, you might save your team money...if you had the knowledge already in place to do the vinyl cutting. now the next problem your going to run into is VINYL COST. this again is a problem for the uninformed. say you by a 15" x 10 yard roll of vinly to do your race car. now your thurs nite and your lettering and you run out of the vinyl you need....now you got a real problem....so fri you try to get a roll shipped to or delivered so you can finish the lettering....then you screw up the cut....and it will stick to its self and you need tranfer tape......buy the time your figure your time to learn how to do this, buy all the equipment, buy all the needed vinyl and tranfer tape, then you got the time spent in cutting, weeding and taping and then applying....the $500 per car is gona be a bargain!!!!!!!! like i said "1st off... there aint no easy type a line and cut right now sign programs! you can forget the idea of buying a plotter, sign program and you IS A SIGN MAKER!!"

Scott Reynolds

jasondrummer98 said:
ALAS! I have finally gotten my cutter to cut... well sort of...

I can transfer my Corel stuff over to Flexi and cut from Flexi... but...

for some reason the cutter doesn't do anything but cut a TON of lines in the vinyl ... it never actually cuts the lettering out that I asked it too... any thing I'm doing wrong here?

Sounds like the servo bearing fluid is getting hot. The best thing for that is to get a spray bottle with some water and do a test cut while spraying water in the back of the ploter. This should quite the bugger down...

:Big Laugh