• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie looking for advice

AirJordan

Hello everyone. I have been doing my research on vinyl cutting for a while. So I decided to join here and make my first post. Yes I am another person looking to start vinyl cutting. This is some thing I have always be interested in. I own a landscape business and have had many of my trucks lettered with logo's and I have always designed the logo's my self and had a local shop produce them. I also work off a virtual landscape program for my designs so I do have some experience with computer design. Ok enough about me.

After doing my research I have realiized that my budget for equipment had to be expanded. So I have ruled out any of the chinese cutters. I was leaning toward the zumma 60 but I think the graphtec 3000 is a better choice because of the registation mark sensors. I do not plan on printing right now but I would like to in the future. So do you think I'm making a wise choice on cutters?

Ok this is where I'm a little confused. What software to choose. I have read all the polls and it looks like most people are working out of corel draw. Is this because it is the best or the easiest or is it because it is less expensive than flexi? I have also read alot about Cocut how does that compare?

One more thing when purchasing a cutter say from sign supply store or another supply store. Some suppliers offer software packages, are they worth it? Or is it better to just buy the cutter and buy separate software like the software that I stated above?

Thanks in advance.

Jackpine

I recommend the Graphtec CE3000 MK2. Checkout SSK for price. You can not beat their service and the tech support is second to none. If you can swing it I would look at the Graphtec FC7000 30" cutter, with a PrintTech 36 printer you would have a great combo.

Jackpine

Look into the vinyl cutter packages SSK has with the CE3000MK2. They are loaded with cutting software and clip art. I also use Corel 10 for design and just upgraded to X3. You can buy Version 9 on the net for as low as $40.00, $50.00 then upgrade.

Cadmn

I would look at the Roland cutters they have a new 24" that is awesome just came from show & since it is standard HPGL driven there ar many ways to go with it it also has sensers for contour cutting. ITs fast, quiet, & mines about 18 y.o.& still rockin. I cut strasight from corel the same progran I design in.

Jackpine

Mark, welcome to the forum. You and the others at SignSupplyStore are a very good resource for sign equipment and supplies. And you and the other "Tech Guys" are always willing to share your your expertise with others.

SSS_Tech

Everyone has to start somewhere, and I know when I got my start I was very blessed to have a couple of guys willing to answer my questions, and now I get to give that back. Feels good! Thanks again.

andy

Yeah Corel with a cutting plug in is the way to go. Corel is THE daddy for general layout and design.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What software did you use to make your earlier logos and layouts?