• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newest Summa S2 Class firmware removes FlexCut features

Snap2000

So I upgraded the firmware on my S2 T140. Easy process, I've done it before with no problems. Latest firmware is version 026 from 04-19-2022. After I upgraded I found out that on the newest firmware they removed the "FlexCut Mode" button in the FlexCut menu, this also removes the options for selecting between "Fast FlexCut" and "Accurate FlexCut". So now if you want to use the FlexCut feature you must enable it though your cutting/RIP software instead of on the machine itself. Although annoying, the bigger problem is there is no way of enabling "Fast FlexCut" at this moment. This is important because the "Accurate" Flexcut feature slows the plotter down before every bridge, instead of running at full speed. In my experience this makes FlexCut's cutting become inaccurate dude to either the vinyl shifting under the pressure rollers, or from the Y-axis motor constantly having to slow down & speed up. It also slows down FlexCut by a considerable amount compared to the Fast full speed mode.

This is a feature that I use every single day and worked great before the firmware update. The last firmware update I had was from Feb2021 025, the new firmware version is 026 from 04-19-2022. Luckily on Airmark's website they still haven't updated their firmware links so I was able to download the 025 version of the firmware. Downgrading the firmware brought back the FlexCut Mode button and everything is back to normal. I just wanted to make this post as it may help some other people with the same problem. I'm not sure why they would remove a feature from their own product intentionally, but I hope they bring it back in future firmware updates.

Attachments

• New Firmware 026.jpg
    New Firmware 026.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 351
  • Old Firmware 025.jpg
    Old Firmware 025.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Old Firmware.jpg
    Old Firmware.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 149

tulsagraphics

So I upgraded the firmware on my S2 T140. Easy process, I've done it before with no problems. Latest firmware is version 026 from 04-19-2022. After I upgraded I found out that on the newest firmware they removed the "FlexCut Mode" button in the FlexCut menu, this also removes the options for selecting between "Fast FlexCut" and "Accurate FlexCut". So now if you want to use the FlexCut feature you must enable it though your cutting/RIP software instead of on the machine itself. Although annoying, the bigger problem is there is no way of enabling "Fast FlexCut" at this moment. This is important because the "Accurate" Flexcut feature slows the plotter down before every bridge, instead of running at full speed. In my experience this makes FlexCut's cutting become inaccurate dude to either the vinyl shifting under the pressure rollers, or from the Y-axis motor constantly having to slow down & speed up. It also slows down FlexCut by a considerable amount compared to the Fast full speed mode.

This is a feature that I use every single day and worked great before the firmware update. The last firmware update I had was from Feb2021 025, the new firmware version is 026 from 04-19-2022. Luckily on Airmark's website they still haven't updated their firmware links so I was able to download the 025 version of the firmware. Downgrading the firmware brought back the FlexCut Mode button and everything is back to normal. I just wanted to make this post as it may help some other people with the same problem. I'm not sure why they would remove a feature from their own product intentionally, but I hope they bring it back in future firmware updates.
Good to know! Thanks for sharing!

Adhoore

Snap2000 Have you tried using Cutter Control from Summa? It gives you access to some settings which might not be in the touch screen menu.

FrankW

Fast Flexcut is not supported anymore from summa officially as from most current RIP-Softwares too because „accurate“ is more accurate :) in lengths of bridges and cutting through distances, so it is easier to configure for reliable use. I as a service technician has told the customers who I train to forget fast mode and use accurate for years, mainly to avoid support trouble.