• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

News Gothic Bold Oblique

Johnny Best

breathe.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I just watched that video. I dont think the cop should of done that, he should of got up and not sat on that man's neck... horrible action by the cop.

but I don't think he died of asphyxiation.... I think something else was going on there

Johnny Best

Thats the area of the carotid arteries. They get cut off from the blood flowing to the brain, you will have a stroke. Plus the stupid cops standing around watching just adds to the dumbness of the situation.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thats the area of the carotid arteries. They get cut off from the blood flowing to the brain, you will have a stroke. Plus the stupid cops standing around watching just adds to the dumbness of the situation.

That would make more sense. It looked as if he just blacked out but with asphyxiation you would think there would be thrashing around.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The thing I find truly flabbergasting is the cop continued to grind his knee into the guy's neck for several minutes while being videotaped by the bystanders yelling for him to stop. IMHO it's an act of cold blooded murder. The suspect was defenseless, belly-down with his hands cuffed behind his back. Why he was put face down on the pavement doesn't even make any sense; security video from nearby buildings show the guy not physically resisting arrest. Why didn't the cops just put him in the squad car and take him to the station? The only thing I can guess is perhaps Floyd said something that angered the police and they made him pay for it with his life.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
There are some people that should not be police officers. They don't have the common sense or temperament for the job. Or they had it when they started and just had it ground out of them with the stress and crap they have to deal with daily.
Gotta wonder about the leadership in their department.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I always give police the benefit of the doubt - but not in this case. With bystanders videotaping and yelling it was shocking to me that he continued for so long, almost enjoying it. I saw 4 police were fired, who were the other two? Was there another squad with police in it near by or watching?

The saddest part is strangers tried in vain to help him and there was nothing they could do. Not enough of them to take down the police at the risk of being shot.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I haven't seen a lot of the hardcore "back the blue" types rushing to defense of these police officers like they have in past cases. A few are trying. One of the spin attempts is shifting blame for Floyd's death to the people who were videotaping the incident, "why didn't they try to stop the police?" Obviously it's laughably ridiculous for anyone to actually think it would be a good idea to physically get in between cops and a suspect they were abusing. The "hero" would get a flurry of pop knots on his head from a few night sticks and then be arrested, if not shot.

GAC05 said:
There are some people that should not be police officers. They don't have the common sense or temperament for the job. Or they had it when they started and just had it ground out of them with the stress and crap they have to deal with daily.

My guess is some police officers were formerly bullies when they were in grade school. They never grew out of dispensing cruelty onto others or they got a little too much pleasure from it. Some of this stuff is driven by whatever culture is present in a given police department. If the bullies are dominating that scene then the culture takes over and the department developments an "us versus everyone else" ethic. Most cops are decent people though. A PD with a healthy culture will do a lot of its own internal policing. It's not a flattering thing to be regarded as a psycho cop by fellow officers. One rogue cop can totally mess up the relationship police have in the community where they have to work. It makes the job that much harder for all the other police.

Generally speaking, I don't think enough is done to train police officers in conflict de-escalation. They'll train and train on tactics and other procedures. A good cop pretty much has to be a psychiatrist with a gun and badge. They have to do things like defusing angry domestic quarrels or talking a suicidal person out of doing something terrible. Too often the "ready-fire-aim" approach makes those scenarios go totally wrong.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I haven't seen a lot of the hardcore "back the blue" types rushing to defense of these police officers like they have in past cases. A few are trying. One of the spin attempts is shifting blame for Floyd's death to the people who were videotaping the incident, "why didn't they try to stop the police?" Obviously it's laughably ridiculous for anyone to actually think it would be a good idea to physically get in between cops and a suspect they were abusing. The "hero" would get a flurry of pop knots on his head from a few night sticks and then be arrested, if not shot.

My guess is some police officers were formerly bullies when they were in grade school. They never grew out of dispensing cruelty onto others or they got a little too much pleasure from it. Some of this stuff is driven by whatever culture is present in a given police department. If the bullies are dominating that scene then the culture takes over and the department developments an "us versus everyone else" ethic. Most cops are decent people though. A PD with a healthy culture will do a lot of its own internal policing. It's not a flattering thing to be regarded as a psycho cop by fellow officers. One rogue cop can totally mess up the relationship police have in the community where they have to work. It makes the job that much harder for all the other police.

Generally speaking, I don't think enough is done to train police officers in conflict de-escalation. They'll train and train on tactics and other procedures. A good cop pretty much has to be a psychiatrist with a gun and badge. They have to do things like defusing angry domestic quarrels or talking a suicidal person out of doing something terrible. Too often the "ready-fire-aim" approach makes those scenarios go totally wrong.

You must not watch any Live PD. That show is interesting and many of the cops on there are very calm. Some you can tell are more aggressive and use foul language, but that is few and I'm sure after their boss sees them on video that they will have a conversation with them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've all seen the video of what happened..... AFTER the suspect was on the ground and in custody, but does anyone know what took place before that ?? Did he argue or try to get away ?? Was he combative ?? Did he just let them arrest him quietly or did he struggle ?? That chant of "I can't breathe" has been happening for a long time and it's hard to distinguish when someone means if for real or not. Kinda like the boy yelling 'wolf' all the time. I'd really like to see what took place prior to the video.

Stacey K

I like making signs
We've all seen the video of what happened..... AFTER the suspect was on the ground and in custody, but does anyone know what took place before that ?? Did he argue or try to get away ?? Was he combative ?? Did he just let them arrest him quietly or did he struggle ?? That chant of "I can't breathe" has been happening for a long time and it's hard to distinguish when someone means if for real or not. Kinda like the boy yelling 'wolf' all the time. I'd really like to see what took place prior to the video.
I wonder also...I saw video 1 which shows him being pulled from a sitting position and walked to the car but between the car and the "ground" video...what happened?

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Gino said:
I'd really like to see what took place prior to the video.

Video has been shown before was put on the ground. Security camera video from buildings by the scene clearly show Floyd NOT physically resisting arrest, with his hands cuffed behind him. One angle shows police sitting him down on the sidewalk against a building. Big question: if the guy was cuffed and cooperative why didn't they just put him in the squad car then?

Here's another very important thing: there is absolutely nothing that can justify that cop digging his knee into that man's neck for several minutes. Floyd was defenseless, belly-down on the pavement, hands cuffed behind his back, not doing anything to resist. It doesn't even matter what Floyd might have said or did prior to that. The cop had no right to slowly murder that guy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No offense, but I would like to see the whole thing for myself, not yours or anyone else's interpretation. News media is the pits, so I'm not sure where I'll get that information. It doesn't look good for the police officers, but ya just never know.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Police are trained and expected to act better than this no matter what the situation was leading up to that point. I may feel differently if the guy was not already on the ground but he was and it is not the job of police to punish people.
There are many cops with a chip on their shoulder but most seem to be nice and rational. I think that type of job is going attract a disproportionate amount of candidates that are on a power trip, it almost takes a bit of that to be effective in that role. Like tex said, you can see it on Live PD.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Gino said:
No offense, but I would like to see the whole thing for myself, not yours or anyone else's interpretation.

There's nothing to "interpret." The guy was already cuffed, immobilized and not doing anything. Normally at that point the police pick the guy up off the pavement and direct him to the back seat of the squad car. What they're not supposed to do is continue putting a knee into the guy's neck several minutes longer until he dies.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
12 Angry Men.

I need proof, not just sayso.​

I know it doesn't look good for the cops, but I know of 2 who died in the line of duty, because they were bamboozled. Not a case of letting their guard down, but being tricked. I hadda make plaques and memorial signs for the one. The other guy was someone who stopped in once or twice when dropping off cruisers.​

Being a cop is a really tough job. Being a crook is easy as pie. Obeying the laws are easy, but when you break the laws and possibly drugs, alcohol or other things enter the equation, ya hafta be ready. You must be 1,000%.​

Stacey K

I like making signs
There is some footage missing from what I can piece together. I also heard someone say "this is what happens when you do drugs" - was that an officer or bystander who said that? Did they find drugs on him? Still seems like a lot of drama over a $20 bill. By rights, he could have gotten the $20 at a local retailer and then went to the Cup Shop unknowingly. OR...he is "known" by police and this was just another stunt at forgery? IDK...something seems weird that needed 4 officers over a single $20 bill. Saw the store owner on CNN and his view was that George did not resist. He seems as shocked as the rest of us.

This whole thing makes little sense. They released some of the body cam footage but it's more like a video game with black boxes walking around and little sound. Hard to decipher. If they were all fired there must not be anything to show he resisted. They don't typically fire officers before an investigation.

unclebun

One does wonder about the Twin Cities area and their police. Three high profile police deaths in 4 years. Philando Castile in 2016, Justine Damond in 2017 and now this. I know the one in 2017 resulted in the police chief, who stayed on her vacation four more days before returning and commenting on the case, to lose her job.