• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nice Office Door Sign - Need some suggestions...

neato

I was brought back here by an email notification and noticed another boo-boo on your drawing (the side view).

Another thing is, the overall sign may be 12" but in actuality, the type area is only 10 1/2"... it may be a little small for the type of sign it is.

Side views on a dimensional signs are almost as important as the elevation. Occasionally you find that the side view is not all that appealing... I also thought while I was playing with it, I would take 30 minutes and come up with variations using aluminum/green glass acrylic and wood veneer...

I was assuming that you are trying to build up your portfolio, but as I noticed a while back you have a side hustle, you can make a few blanks with the cash you are making, then sell them on your site and make up the costs/labor. I've started my side hustle from the hundreds of logos, wraps and signs I have designed here (a lot I never showed) as well as the thousands I have done over the years - along with ads, invites and brochures. Even complete apartment signage packages. You probably have a stockpile of gold waiting to be sold...

Holy schmoly. Can I just come and work with you for a couple weeks? Those drawings are pro. And I do need a hobby, I ready the whole thing. I'm also saving them and studying them so I can improve my presentation drawings a bit more. It's a side of design I really need to work on. Do you really get that detailed for customer presentation drawings? Or is that more of a shop drawing?

Thanks for taking the time to do that Rick. Much appreciated. I like some of the other ideas you presented too.

Johnny Best

If I am doing a sample for a friend I will do something different than a corporation wants, Different design for each office. Give the poor Cratchit's office some light.
neato-peato.jpg

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Holy schmoly. Can I just come and work with you for a couple weeks? Those drawings are pro. And I do need a hobby, I ready the whole thing. I'm also saving them and studying them so I can improve my presentation drawings a bit more. It's a side of design I really need to work on. Do you really get that detailed for customer presentation drawings? Or is that more of a shop drawing?

Thanks for taking the time to do that Rick. Much appreciated. I like some of the other ideas you presented too.

To the average designer, it might take more than a couple of weeks, but I think you could pull it off...

Most of my schooling came from collecting shop drawings from designers and other shops and studying them, and then making my own section drawings and collecting templates. I do a lot of drag and drop because most signs are typical, but in a pinch, I can modify a section drawing or redraw it as needed. You would be surprised how many shop drawings are out on the internet.
Like this: https://www.ci.laguna-hills.ca.us/DocumentCenter/View/2161/2---Five-Lagunas-Master-Sign-Program
This is from an EGD firm, so this is the DD phase, a shop would take this, and make construction documents out of it.
You need to design, then partner with someone who can work out the details... or stick in on here for everyone to pick at... it's a good lesson to see what limitations your work has - or shops on this forum have in replicating your design.

If you read Chatterbox's book, it's mostly standard signage stuff... start with that - but please do not stay there! Once you learn about code/planning and zoning, then material and fabrication limitations, you let your imagination run free (until a guy like me slaving away at a shop says you can't do it) Most shops only deal with standard stuff, even the slightest out of the box thinking makes most shops grind to a halt.... don't send them your work (or work for them permanently). Find a qualified fabricator who deals with real custom fabrication.

In spirit I agree with Rossmosh's thinking, though it stops dead in it's tracks when you figure out you have no laser cutter. You can send out for laser cut panels with 1/32" Rowmark and standard walnut panels, but there goes your profit (well, there is none) or money to purchase supplies to make more samples. I'm thinking you want to get your hands dirty anyway but you will have to learn in time that there is a system to fabricating stuff like this. Standards are set by a shops capabilities.

On the detail, the drawing I show would be the in-between drawing or DD (Design Development) stage - right before the shop drawing.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What happened to Neato? I went to his Facebook page where he used to post all the time but nothing after 2020. Hope he's OK... His designs were great

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
Door design is obviously not my specialty, but I try to diversify my drawings in this direction, too. When I chose the Faculty of Architecture at the university, I did not even assume that I would find ideas and inspiration from https://onstage-online.com/our-services. It started a year before I was accepted when my father decided to sell a summer house near the city. He did a renovation by himself and threw out all the old furniture because it was worthless. The company I mentioned above somehow managed to liven it up with new ideas. I'm sure they're pros at design, so I decided to learn from them. These ideas gave me ideas that have changed my life in the future.
You should totally fuck off and die, spammer. Just sayin'.