• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No Brushes available

tdgraphics

I know, before someone calls me a dope, this is probably very easy, but I cannot for the life of me sort it.

What I want to do is add some sparkles to my image. So I go the the brushes tab, press on the expansion arrow and then add the 'Assorted Brushes' but nothing seems to happen All the brushes are greyed out.

I know I am missing something but I don't know what.

Can someone please enlighten me as I am going to put my fist through the screen shortly!

Neil

Techman

Photoshop?
are there any masks set on the image?
Little marching ants in there anywhere? remove them and you should be good to go..

tdgraphics

No not that I know of. There are the background layer and 5 other layers, 2 of which have effects on. I have attached a screen shot as I am baffled.

Neil

Attachments

• banner 1.JPG
    banner 1.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 141

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The selected layer is a shape and is not being treated as a normal layer. From my incomplete knowledge of Photoshop, you have two choices:

Rasterize the layer or create a new layer for your sparkles on top of the shape.

To prove the point, try selecting the "th" layer and see if your brushes are now available.

tdgraphics

The TH layer is the one I want to put the sparkles on. When I select that layer, the brushes are still greyed out.

Thanks anyway for the comments.

Neil

tdgraphics

I have even tried to close Photoshop, then create a new image. I then created a layer with text and resterised that. Even then the brushes are all grey.

I am lost on this one.

Neil

tdgraphics

Which settings. I have checked everything I know. Are there any specific settings I need to check.

I have loaded Photoshop onto my notebook and opened the file. I have just the default setup. There are still no brushes available.

I have also tried to create a new image, but no brushes are available.

I am really getting a little T'd off as I cannot find anything wrong.

Neil

Techman

ITs really difficult to guess whats wrong over the net, but

If the palette is grayed out, press B on the keyboard to activate the Brush tool.

Open the brush menu and click on the little arrow upper right and click reset brushes. default that may clear some off setting.
Same place click on load brushes. Maybe yoru brush is not selected there.

Which version of PS in use?

Did you make some presets, use them and not save them. if so they are gone.

Do you have another tool selected? if so grayed out will appear.

Is your brush too big over that which is allowed in PSD?

are you brushes deactivated in the brush menu

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I am able to duplicate your situation by simply looking at the brush palette without having selected the brush tool. All brushes are available if i first select the brush tool.

tdgraphics

Thank you both for your help. I managed to find the same thing.

I had not selected the brush tool, as soon as I did I could go in and select the star / sparkle brush and hey presto.

As I said in my first post, it was something simple.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Neil