• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No business

sdimmick

Im a newbie, almost 2 years into this. It started out fulltime and since then I got a fulltime job with great benefits, etc...that i couldnt pass up.

I have a few regular customers. My main focus is vinyl signs and motorsports. I have been dead with no work for almost 2-3 months. I only do this parttime now. I havent had complaints about any of my work. I know it's not anything special, far from it, but my customers seem satisfied. How I would love to do wraps for race cars, however, it's just not in the budget.

Are there any tips to keep busy, to keep the work coming in and stay ahead of my competition? I have been told my customer service and communication is great, but im dead.

Thanks for any help!

CentralSigns

There is lots in the premium section on this. All you have to do is search it out. I think a premium membership would help with your question lots. Most members aren't likely to reply much in the open forum

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
It's most likely an education problem....you need to be educating the public about your business.

You need to create a marketing plan. Wouldn't hurt to go back and tweak the business plan also.

OldPaint

i dont see why it cant be discussed here.............in this economy........MOST BUSINESS IS FLAT OR NEAR NONE.
i talk to people across the U.S. and not many are so busy they are buyin new HUMVEES)))))
i did a church bus yesterday. 1st paying job since 1st of the year. well i was not in any condition to work last month, but iam back at this month!!!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Op......

It's not that no one wants to discuss it here in the open forums, but the amount of input and knowledge gained in the 'Premium' section is just that...... 'Premium' information. Most won't go into the numbers game or valuable points here.... plain and simple. You're free to do whatever you wish. However, if some guy in Idaho was giving some guy in Tennessee some sound advice and some lurker around the corner from you saw this by googling something about signs.... he could easily use that information against you... the next time he came in. You don't have to let it bother you because you're a seasoned veteran, but some guy that only has a year or two under his/her belt, needs all the help we can give them. If not for yourself..... think of it as a kind gesture thing for others.

Many hobbyists and end-users are lurking out here and no one wants to give our end-users an upper hand on anything..... even to the point of a guy not wanting to pay his local sign shop their worth because they found out what might be involved or how they can get their own equipment and just start making their own signs. Many don't feel comfortable giving that kind of information out.

I'm sure sdim will get plenty of help, but hopefully nothing that will give the farm away for anyone.... including you. :thumb:

WildWestDesigns

i dont see why it cant be discussed here.............in this economy........MOST BUSINESS IS FLAT OR NEAR NONE.
i talk to people across the U.S. and not many are so busy they are buyin new HUMVEES)))))
i did a church bus yesterday. 1st paying job since 1st of the year. well i was not in any condition to work last month, but iam back at this month!!!!!

It's pretty flat on my end to. I've had a couple of orders that I've done for people on here, but I've had some that pulled out due to customer not wanting to spend the money.

I've got one client that I just got done doing a flyer for and a poster(I just do the design on those type of stuff), but she wanted both on a budget. Which is fine, she normally is a very good client, so when there are times that things need to be trimmed I'll do it for a regular.

Your coming in on Tax Season and you still have the bad economy. It is just going to take time.

TheSnowman

We've been dead since Thanksgiving. Just hang in there, once it warms up, people will come back out to work on projects. It always gets totally at a stand still in the winter, but I forget how bad every year...

CentralSigns

Thanks Gino, the marketing information has been discussed several times over in the premium section for all member to try/view. That was my main point. As for business, we are not all slow. We have had a record year and it hasn't stopped yet. Jan is looking like a March or April. Can't keep up with the new orders, we might even have to get some new staff.

Mosh

I have as much business as I want..I GO OUT AND GET IT! Just drive around and look for crappy signs and go sell them a new one. In 20+ years I have NEVER been out of work. Using the phrase "this economy" makes me puke, what a cop out for lazy people!!!!

skyhigh

thought I read where you lost all your employees (because of SLOW), and are now a one man shop? Cant do much drivin around while your manning the shop.

Mosh

thought I read where you lost all your employees (because of SLOW), and are now a one man shop? Cant do much drivin around while your manning the shop.

I lost a good customer (they got there own print shop in house) and my "employees" went "home" to Mexico, not at thier choosing. I am currently two weeks out on getting stuff finished, so it guess that is pretty busy! Never not had a job to do in my shop!

Get an answering machine, if you don't have anything comming in go out and get it!Or do like the democracts and sit and wait for money to fall from the sky!!!

Last edited:

klemgraphics

Never have any trouble finding work, but if I did I would probably do like Mosh says and go out looking for work. I see a lot of signs that need re-done but I like to wait until they come calling on me so it's on my terms and they don't haggle as much.
There is work out there and the money to do, it's all a matter of finding it.

shakey0818

I have as much business as I want..I GO OUT AND GET IT! Just drive around and look for crappy signs and go sell them a new one. In 20+ years I have NEVER been out of work. Using the phrase "this economy" makes me puke, what a cop out for lazy people!!!!
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

I totally agree.

WildWestDesigns

I have as much business as I want..I GO OUT AND GET IT! Just drive around and look for crappy signs and go sell them a new one. In 20+ years I have NEVER been out of work. Using the phrase "this economy" makes me puke, what a cop out for lazy people!!!

Depends on where you are. Some places have it harder then others. I'm by no means a lazy person, but some people if they are in a market for what I can do, what it cheaper then what I can do it for.

fmg

Winter has caused much economical damage.
I am very busy with leads, jobs and such but!!!! People are paying very slowly which is causing a snowball effect (scuse the pun).
Hang on in there it will get busier but it won't be an easy ride this year!
Good luck.

Mosh

You know, I wasn't calling anyone out on being lazy. I just get tired of "this economy" being the excuse FOR EVERYTHING!!! BTW, soybean prices are around $14, so I could care less if I had any sign jobs come in. They hit $16 and you might not hear from the 'ol Mosh, cause I will be kicking it on some island somewhere...

WildWestDesigns

BTW, soybean prices are around $14, so I could care less if I had any sign jobs come in.

Once people switch back to soybeans from producing yellow corn #5 that'll go down(I miss my graduate(Ag. Econ) regression trend analysis reports).