• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

NO WASTE-INK BOTTLE Error?

aha!creative

HELP!

Mutoh Falcon 48" Outdoor

Wasn't laying any ink so I dumped the wast ink bottle and went to run a cleaning.

Now I cannot get past a "NO WASTE-INK BOTTLE" error message and there is indeed a properly installed waste ink bottle in place, with some water in it for weight, and pressing down on the switch under it.

What can I do???

:help

randya

You are going to need to check the switch, first make sure it is connected properly, then check to make sure it is working correctly.
Finally, check and insure that the handle is being made by the waste bottle.

This is a simple contact switch.

Coeur d'Alene, what a beautiful place!

aha!creative

Checked the switch, it seems to be moving up and down fine, but not registering when there is a bottle (or my finger) in place. Is this something that goes out often? Easy to fix? Any ideas?

HulkSmash

we have this problem alot. We just have to play with it until it recognizes it. It's really a 2 person job. One has to sit there and watch the screen until it recognizes that it's in.. the other person has to move it around. Last time to get it to work we have to place like a thin aluminum under it to give it a small boost and fit more securely in there..

SlightlyChilled

yes you need a VOM "volt ohm meter" to see if the switch is okay.

Did it tell you to change the waste tank before you dumped it?

If so you need to tell it you did. look to see if you bumped the wires.
I for get if there is 2 or 3 wires in a last ditch you could jump them to see if you have a bad one. or it somehow popped off from the board.

I would see if your ex-partner would give you a hand.

This should be a easy trouble shooting thing BUT only if you have a good understanding of how the printer works and you are a handy person.

I am not bashing you just some people are not fixers that's all

aha!creative

Thank you! I have been able to fix most problems on my Mutoh and Summa so far, but this one is stumping me! I will see what I can figure out. Thanks for the advice.

we have this problem alot. We just have to play with it until it recognizes it. It's really a 2 person job. One has to sit there and watch the screen until it recognizes that it's in.. the other person has to move it around. Last time to get it to work we have to place like a thin aluminum under it to give it a small boost and fit more securely in there..

:goodpost:

I had the same problem all the time when I had my Falcon.
Just keep lifting the bottle up and putting it back down until it sees it.

aha!creative

Been lifting and lowering the bottle, nothing changes. Tried rebooting. Still not working. Tried drinking a beer. It's still not working. Any thoughts...?

SlightlyChilled

ok the switch is a OPEN OR CLOSED switch I would jump them and see if it works. Or drop the housing and see if it popped off the main bourd

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Do not, repeat, do not use an ohmmeter on a switch that's still in a circuit. Not only can you get a fraudulent reading from circuitry parallel to the switch, but the meter applies a small voltage to the circuit which can easily hose delicate circuitry. That's why an ohmmeter and/or a multi-meter has a battery in it. If you simply must use an ohmmeter, disconnect at least one side of the switch.

Besides, there's probably nothing wrong with the switch. Back when I was herding a 48" Falcon, every time I removed the waste bottle the printer would start to sulk and refuse to sense it when I put it back. Just keep cycling the switch and turning the printer off and on. Eventually it will recognize that the switch is made. Apparently based on some principle unknown to normal people.

aha!creative

This is a photo (not very good...) of the switch. I don't know if this gives you guys any better idea of what I am working with.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Switch_1.jpg
    Switch_1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 94

aha!creative

Cave...no. Dungeon... sort of.

It's a 4,000 sq foot shop, underground in the downtown strip of Coeur d'Alene. May not be ideal, but it's all I've got!

SlightlyChilled

We all know what you have it's hard not being there.....

The odds of the switch being bad are low. But seeing that's a point of the circuit you can test real quick. remove the switch and jump the wires. or just keep dropping the waste tank on the switch all night and hope it works.