• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not a clue.....

IanZane

I'll Stick, Spray or Paint Anything!
Hello to all, and once again I'm here asking for advice. My dilemma is I started working for this company a little over a year ago. I have found myself wearing many hats since the day I took over. I don't think I really knew what I was getting myself into, but since I'm here now, I have to apply my all and make it the best I can during my watch. Which means a helluva lotta work! The 2 peeps I took over positions from..... well, let's just say I'm working on a total restructure of the signs & graphics and billboard divisions, plus all advertising and graphics for a gem mine and theme park businesses. Everything I've encountered is out of date, incorrect or not completed, doesn't match up and just makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes. But I'm not a quitter. So..........
Sorry, now to the dilemma at hand. I have to update this website for the businesses we operate. Including 4 times a year posting dates and times or updating info as needed. I've worked professionally in signs for 32 years. I'm really clueless about social media platforms and websites and hoisting and such. I need to make a change. And time is of the essence. The website was built in WordPress by a company that does not exist anymore. I have no info left to me on user names or passwords to this site. However, it is hosted on GoDaddy and I do have access to my pages on there. I talked to a rep from GoDaddy and he directed me to the c panel file management portion of my site and told me that changes could be edited in that section without using Wordpress. I took a look and wp admin I think is where i can edit or update my site, correct? However I really don't know where to go. I try to open up something and it downloads it. Not sure about that. Do I need to download Wordpress to make changes? And if i do, I don't have the passwords or user name to get in. If I can edit that info in GoDaddy, where do i go to be able to do so? There are 4 pages. I need to add a line of copy that says "Closed for the season November 5th. See you next year! to each page. I don't want to have to pay GoDaddy a fee to make a small change to it now, and then again in the spring for reopening. I'm planning on updating the site over the winter when we are closed and I have a little more time to put off current workload to have time to learn and design the new pages. Is there a way to do this easy and quick just to get me through so I can let the upper echelon know its updated? I need 3 of me here at least., And I certainly do not get paid enough for the work that needs to be performed to get these Artwork departments up to snuff. Any help would greatly be appreciated greatly.

Attachments

• Snip & Sketch File Folders Website.png
    Snip & Sketch File Folders Website.png
    278.1 KB · Views: 249

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have no idea what those folders are and I've had some pretty complicated shopping sites before. I never used WordPress so not sure what's that all about. Most sites you just log in and you can edit directly in the site. They are "interactive" with a website editor. Are you sure you are in the right spot to edit? If it's Go Daddy you should be able to log in, edit site and a change like that should take you under 1 minute including logging in. Maybe you should see if the rep can "switch you over" from Word Press to GoDaddy? That folder system thing seems more complicated than it needs to be. I could be wrong - for real, I don't know anything about WordPress.

webguru

You need to open the index page in the control panel, find this (its line 476)

<h2 style="text-align: center;">Now Open for the Season Everyday from 10:00am to 6:00pm</h2>

Then just type in the new verbiage and save the file.

Simple huh!

IanZane

I have no idea what those folders are and I've had some pretty complicated shopping sites before. I never used WordPress so not sure what's that all about. Most sites you just log in and you can edit directly in the site. They are "interactive" with a website editor. Are you sure you are in the right spot to edit? If it's Go Daddy you should be able to log in, edit site and a change like that should take you under 1 minute including logging in. Maybe you should see if the rep can "switch you over" from Word Press to GoDaddy? That folder system thing seems more complicated than it needs to be. I could be wrong - for real, I don't know anything about WordPress.
Hey Stacey K. I appreciate your

<h2 style="text-align: center;">Now Open for the Season Everyday from 10:00am to 6:00pm</h2>

Simple huh!
Thanks Stacey K. I don't know about being in the right spot, maybe like the right region. Many folders were empty and some had massive amounts of copy in them. I tried searching to no avail. The whole code thing to me is like algebra. Like you said you don't know wordpress. I don't either and it does seem like that particular interface could be a little more user friendly. Maybe I should dedicate more time to learning and creating and I'd like to even be able to say that, but... life is busy and sometimes there is not enough time in the day to get done with what you wanted to finish from the onset of the day and the things it throws at you throughout the day, every day, for the rest of your life. Seems like it should be easier to just simply see your page in an admin copy and simply retype your new copy over old and bam. you save and exit and across the globe that change has been made. Instant change web based apps occur pretty instantly I know. But code is a bit different than your standard graphics and signmaking software steps and processes. I guess I can't get the world to conform to me so I should try to conform to

Simple huh!

it.

webpage,
are you talking about the control panel that's in the computer that contains the page? I know there's a control panel in the operating system of the pc. Is there another control panel (?) maybe in the website itself? Idk. The system that was used before to make changes in the past has took a missing and I don't have any login credentials to access thru wordpress. I downloaded wordpress to my system but have yet to install it because there's no sense in it if I cannot access it anyway. Ive looked at the folders on the page I snipped on c-panel and don't see anything index page or control panel. Maybe i'm not even in the same ballpark. The wp-admin folder in the public-html folder in c panel has uploads with annual folders in that. Then when I tried opening it within, it would start a download process. The rep from Go Daddy said it would be in there....somewhere. Ok....Tell me I'm silly and not losing my mind cause there's only one control panel and it's in my computer operating system, everybody knows that duh, and I can access line 476 from right where I sit and in a minute I'll be finished with my website update and my bosses are happy its a sunny beautiful day and i got a fn killer raise and 2 weeks off a year paid. Nah, I must be dreaming again.

webguru

The control panel through Go Daddy. Not familiar with WP but my best guess would be its hidden somewhere in the Includes folder

Jester

Slow is Fast
I only have experience with one Wordpress site. I manage it for a chapter of a large non-profit club. We log in by navigating to www.<oursitename>.com/wp-login.php. Enter user name and password (which it sounds like you don't have). Takes us to the Wordpress dashboard (see image), click on Pages on the left, hover over a page name in the list and choose Edit from the popup menu. YMMV depending on what plugins your wordpress site is running.
wordpress dashboard.jpg

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I try to open up something and it downloads it.
This is a nuisance issue only because it's the Year 2020 and that seems to be what this year is all about, just being a nuisance, however serious it is. (It's a PHP issue in this case.) Try using a different browser.

As mentioned above, this method should work as well...

"www.mywebsite.com/admin"
Which will present the WP login screen. You will need credentials. Search google for how you might do so. Know that the WP application and your enclosed site is being served by GoDaddy.

Good luck.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
of course it downloads
you are editing a site that is "live"
make your changes and save (publish)

regarding your passwords, windows has a password cache, you can retrieve your passwords. if not, purchase the appropriate module from the passware kit.
a friend in the business was not a believer in using passware
i showed him how to retreive passwords, on his pc, it retreived HUNREDS of sire passwords, things he had created, used once and never bothered to record since he ws never going back again

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
of course it downloads
A WordPress admin edits from a browser on a live site. It's the same as posting here without needing to download this site.

Here is screenshot of the type of problem the OP might be seeing. This site erratically downloads an index.php file when visitors click on any forum titles. Certain browsers and settings download the file without warning.

grabSiteNuisance.jpg

BALLPARK

1) Enter the GoDaddy Account.
2) Click "My Products" using the top right drop down options once your signed in to the account.
3) "Web Hosting" / "Manage" button will be on the right.
4) Click the "C-Panel" button. It will be a black button on the right side of the page at the top next to your domain name in bold.
5) Scroll down on the page to "Software" icons.
6) "Installatron Application Installer" click that icon.
7) This will take you to a page that manages that website. Click the link that has your domain name.com/wp-admin. That will open up the Admin Control panel on the actual website.
8) The image posted by Jester above shows the correct highlighted area to click. This will take you to all pages that have been created. Look for the correct page then click "edit".
9) This will open up that page and depending upon the framework used on Wordpress it will have the options you need to update the page. Make your edits and then click save on the block that you updated. Blocks are used to display text, images, vids, etc... Then click Publish on the far right near the top of the page. That will update the page with your edits. You can then look on the page and you will see an option "view page" and it will show you what the world will see when you update it.
10) Visit youtube for many great vids on how to update wordpress. It's a great operating platform that has many different levels of themes, 3rd party plug-ins, etc...

I suggest to create a BACKUP before you make the changes. This is done on the Installatron Application Center. There are three tabs on the top. The first one shows your installed wordpress websites. This is where you click the "Backup" icon on the right side of the website you are about to update. If you need to replace it with the previous files... click the second tab on that same page called "My Backups". You can then tell it to restore the saved files in the same directory.

You can also rollback your update on the ADMIN Control Panel of the website that you used to make the actual updates. There is an option called "Revisions" on the far right. You will see the previous versions that you can restore.

Good luck...

visual800

Since you are "redoing" why not redo the website in WIX or any other program like that and go that route. WIX is very easy and quick!

IanZane

of course it downloads

regarding your passwords, windows has a password cache, you can retrieve your passwords. if not, purchase the appropriate module from the passware kit.
i showed him how to retreive passwords, on his pc, it retreived HUNREDS of sire passwords, things he had created, used once and never bothered to record since he ws never going back again
Thanks for the info Netsol! That's awesome there! Definitely one of the things I encounter often and I have them actually in a flexi file. Of course there's no auto updating or saving for you and I sometimes don't update then I'm screwed. Archaic at best but.... I'm gonna do me a search on this password cache in windows and check that out.

IanZane

1) Enter the GoDaddy Account.
2) Click "My Products" using the top right drop down options once your signed in to the account.
3) "Web Hosting" / "Manage" button will be on the right.
4) Click the "C-Panel" button. It will be a black button on the right side of the page at the top next to your domain name in bold.
5) Scroll down on the page to "Software" icons.
6) "Installatron Application Installer" click that icon.
7) This will take you to a page that manages that website. Click the link that has your domain name.com/wp-admin. That will open up the Admin Control panel on the actual website.
8) The image posted by Jester above shows the correct highlighted area to click. This will take you to all pages that have been created. Look for the correct page then click "edit".
9) This will open up that page and depending upon the framework used on Wordpress it will have the options you need to update the page. Make your edits and then click save on the block that you updated. Blocks are used to display text, images, vids, etc... Then click Publish on the far right near the top of the page. That will update the page with your edits. You can then look on the page and you will see an option "view page" and it will show you what the world will see when you update it.
10) Visit youtube for many great vids on how to update wordpress. It's a great operating platform that has many different levels of themes, 3rd party plug-ins, etc...

I suggest to create a BACKUP before you make the changes. This is done on the Installatron Application Center. There are three tabs on the top. The first one shows your installed wordpress websites. This is where you click the "Backup" icon on the right side of the website you are about to update. If you need to replace it with the previous files... click the second tab on that same page called "My Backups". You can then tell it to restore the saved files in the same directory.

You can also rollback your update on the ADMIN Control Panel of the website that you used to make the actual updates. There is an option called "Revisions" on the far right. You will see the previous versions that you can restore.

Good luck...

Ok. step 7. There seem to be many apps to download and the second set, content management is where I want to go. I don't see the link that has the domain name.com/wp-admin. I do see a wordpress blog app I can download but I'm sure that doesn't give me the ability to edit. It would be a cms app, correct? I guess anyone of them would work. Am i correct in that assumption? I like the actual step by step that helps us unedjumacated folk get it. I know I'm close

IanZane

Since you are "redoing" why not redo the website in WIX or any other program like that and go that route. WIX is very easy and quick!
I'm gonna check on that. I already started using Adobe Muse but the guy at GoDaddy said Adobe quit supporting it back in june so I am on the hunt for a program to make it easy, quick and have a dynamic "look" that has interactive qualities to it. Wix is on my list. Thanks

IanZane

I want to thank webguru for helping me see the light and become a lil bit more knowledgeable in something I had no clue in. He was paying it forward and I really appreciated that! Helped me outta a bind and got our site back on track. So I am going to do the same and pay it forward when I see someone I can help out who was feeling like me the other day. Arppreciate it webguru!

PortlandPrint

If you need more help, you can hit me up. I have been using wordpress since it first came out and power many of my websites with it.

Wordpress uses a database (mysql) vs flat files like many folks are used to editing. It also acts as your CMS for your site. This also means that the files on the server will only be templates/telling the server what data to load, but the data you want to change/access is in the database.

Likely you can reset the user name or password using some database tricks if you have access to those but not to the email on file.

As others have said you can go to your domain - add /wp-admin to the url. Here you can reset your password or try and login if you have the credentials.

Wordpress runs something like 30% of ALL the websites on the internet (over 27 million sites). It is very very popular and pretty easy to get the basics... but also is a target for hackers/exploits/etc because of the popularity. Over the years it has gotten better, but it can still crash/hangup when you install a bad plugin or something.

Feel free to reach out.

IanZane

of course it downloads

netsol-
I have been using lastpass as a pw manager for about 4 months now. Just basically for passwords when i log in somewhere a prompt comes up, I hit ok and it remembers for me. I still haven't utilized it to it'd fullest extent yet. But so far so good.