• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not a "what would you do?" But a "should I do..."

cptcorn

adad
Virtually all, people with foreign accents, tend to be problem customers. I cant explain why, I have to assume it is a cultural thing. I don't have anything against foreigners, but they just tend to be pain in the arse customers. I dont know if my mechanic customer is limiting myself as much as limiting problem customers.

I treat them with respect, and have never actually turned down an order from a foreigner for the reason that he/she is a foreigner, but I get reall tired of them trying to negotiate price or getting a quote for one thing and then trying to place an order for something totally differnt (expecting the price of the cheaper item).

And it's not the accent that bothers me. It is the actions and attitudes that those who happen to have foreign accents have.

Yeah especially those jackasses that speak that drawn out South Carolina version of English.... F***THOSE GUYS!....Would be faster to read a book than listen to them place an order...

Ohhh Wait a minute...

J Hill Designs

...but I get reall tired of them trying to negotiate price or getting a quote for one thing and then trying to place an order for something totally differnt (expecting the price of the cheaper item)....

I also find this true 9 times out of 10...

just sayin'

Flame

Probably why foreign customers are a pain to deal with is because they come from a different culture, with different rules and practices, which are natural to them so they are used to doing business slightly different...

Which can be aggravating for sure. Which is why it takes patience and lots of talking to work through this type.

imagep

I also find this true 9 times out of 10...

just sayin'

I am glad that it ain't just me. I was getting worried about that. :rock-n-roll:

my guess is that it has nothing to do with the customer or their ethnicity..but everything to do with you.

That is possible. Maybe they misinterpret my polite and respectful attitude to them as weakness which they are somehow obligated to exploit. :banghead:

Yeah especially those jackasses that speak that drawn out South Carolina version of English.... F***THOSE GUYS!....Would be faster to read a book than listen to them place an order...
Ohhh Wait a minute...

I agree. Come to think about it, I guess I secretly hate ALL customers, regardless of where they are from. :scream:

cptcorn

adad
Probably why foreign customers are a pain to deal with is because they come from a different culture, with different rules and practices, which are natural to them so they are used to doing business slightly different...

Which can be aggravating for sure. Which is why it takes patience and lots of talking to work through this type.

Every country I've been to other than than Canada, has had a bartering system in place... It's highly disrespectful to walk in and pay full price for something if its a self produced or grown item.

OneUpTenn

This is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time....no advice here since it would probably depend on my mood at the time as to what I would do...but I would like to wish you good luck in whatever you decide.

imagep

Every country I've been to other than than Canada, has had a bartering system in place... It's highly disrespectful to walk in and pay full price for something if its a self produced or grown item.

I have noticed the same thing, with the exception of American style retailers. But personally, I find it highly disrespectful to have someone try to get over on me.

So exactly how many years (or generations) does it take these transplants to figure out our culture?

signrios

Well I am racist, and still wouldn't do it.....?

i don't know if i like you or dislike you,
you are funny and entertaining for all the stupid responses you make to just about every thread:doh:

you make me have good laughs:ROFLMAO:

Letterbox Mike

It really is true about people from other countries, almost all of the time. It's not racist, as Flame pointed out, it's their culture to haggle and negotiate price, it's customary and commonplace to them and where they are from. There are very few cultures on earth that aren't like this, ours is one of them. I don't shrug off foreign customers, but I usually do anticipate some negotiation on their part. Just stick to your guns, don't give into it.

Rooster

He paid in advance, print the damn things.

You can use watermarked images when printing proofs. Just call them proofs if your panties are getting all bunched up over it. Mark them as proofs on the back of the PVC if it let's you sleep better.

Yes, the customers an idiot. Yes, he's lying about where he got them. Who cares when they pay cash in advance? Shake your head if it makes you feel better, but print the damn things and move on to the next job.

imagep

He paid in advance, print the damn things.

You can use watermarked images when printing proofs. Just call them proofs if your panties are getting all bunched up over it. Mark them as proofs on the back of the PVC if it let's you sleep better.

Yes, the customers an idiot. Yes, he's lying about where he got them. Who cares when they pay cash in advance? Shake your head if it makes you feel better, but print the damn things and move on to the next job.

My thoughts exactly. The one other issue is the copyright issue, but realistically the websites are getting free advertising out of the deal.

JR's

Well Pat, I would play his game.
Tell him that you're printer will not print pictures with watermarks on them. And let him know that you would be more than happy to purchase pitches for him or he could find pitches without watermarks on them. This way your printer will not have a problem printing them for him.
Now he will know you're lying to him, but he really can't say anything. And let him know that you got the files already set up and waiting.

Put the job a side and when he comes back with good pitches you could finish the job.

JR :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber

If you had to post this question, then I presume you already know your answer and what you're gonna do.

If you alter those pictures for the guy, you're very guilty.
If you print them as is and say they're proofs, you're guilty.

You can only do what is right in your heart and on the law books. All else is crap.

Would I do it ?? Hmmmmmm.................... :doh:

:ROFLMAO: NOPE.

Pat Whatley

If you had to post this question, then I presume you already know your answer and what you're gonna do.

No, I'm still toying with what to do. I even considered just buying the images (and raising his price) but images from Corbin ain't cheap.

The main reason I've considered printing them is just because they're going to look completely ridiculous and something in me just wants to see him stick them on the wall.

Imagep said:
[/B]My thoughts exactly. The one other issue is the copyright issue, but realistically the websites are getting free advertising out of the deal.

Yeah, I'm sure the crack whores and drug dealers he's gonna be feeding use a whole lot of stock photography. :ROFLMAO:

I'm gonna try to get in touch with the web designer guy and see if he'll fix it.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If he would blatantly steal photos and then insist they were originals he had taken, he would no doubt steal from you any chance he could get if it benefited him. That would get him a booker flick, noogie, glue the right button down his mouse, shave his cat and I would trip his mother with a stick if a clown tried that on me.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
My thoughts exactly. The one other issue is the copyright issue, but realistically the websites are getting free advertising out of the deal.

That is an urban legend and a convenient untruth producers of graphic products like to pass along. Of course trademark owners love advertising exposure but they also love the idea of retaining their trademark rights. Under the law, if a mark owner is aware of an infringement and takes no action to stop it, they can see their marks become public domain.

solock

I suggest that you are exposed to liability if you print what you KNOW to be a copyright protected image. If he purchased the image the logo isnt there, there isnt a camera in the world that puts a corbis or istock logo on the image and you know it. Ask any photo lab that's been sued and you the printer enabled the copyright infringement are are liable.

If a customer comes into our photolab and wants to reproduce the image and we know either the work is copyrighted by the studio name on the back, or we know the photographers work style, we can he held liable. Even if the customer says he bought the rights, we cannot print without a written release from the photographer releasing the rights.

As far as logos and such, there is a different expectation but photographic images, you know they are copyrighted, and you are liable.