• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not full wrap just side graphics on a boat

shadi75

owner
HI everyone

I got a customer thats wants a side graphic on the side of the boat, he is asking if salt water splashing would damage it, i asked my material supplier and his answer was the orajet 3551 Ra and 3951 Ra would be fine as long as its just water splashing and the graphics are not under water.

From what i read on the forums here, everyone says the 3951 with no Ra is the way to go, but that was for full boat wrap, this is just graphics on the side with water splashing against it.

I did look at the referance guide on the oracal website and they say the same thing 3951 with no Ra is way to go for marine.

Has any one done 3551 or 3951 on the sides of boat with success and no problems.

shadi75

owner
HI thanks for answering

yeah for sure will laminate

just wanted to be sure the rgular 3951 Ra is good on the side , i m glade i found out i can do full wraps with the 3951 none RA on boats, its nice to know the vinyl will stick underwater.

MikePro

my truck is wrapped and sits in salt water nearly all winter long, as i drive on the slushy-salted roads in wisconsin (and rarely wash since it will just get mucked up again)... no issues, but i definately recommend laminating if you want the color to last.

edited: oya, and my truck is wrapped in 3M IJ180, but I also have plenty of wraps out there in Orajet's 3551RA, as well. All happy customers!

signswi

Rapid Air, it's what Oracal calls vinyl with air egress channels. We do 3951RA for almost all vehicles--cast makes a big difference (and 290 lam of course). Haven't done many boats so I'm not sure on the RA vs no RA debate for marine. Can't see how it could make a difference after install?

kstompaint

We've wrapped boats with 3951RA and 290 laminate. Just seal the bottom edge with a strip of laminate to stop the water from attacking the air egress.

signswi

We've wrapped boats with 3951RA and 290 laminate. Just seal the bottom edge with a strip of laminate to stop the water from attacking the air egress.

Ah, worries of the water working into the channels? Interesting. I guess that would be a concern if you don't squeegee the heck out of it, good info.