• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

not printing cyan or black Roland SP300v

Mikecolle

Roland SP 300v
listed are the following steps ive taken so far:
replaced the heads
replaced the captops
replaced the fuses on the main board (this was the issue last time this happened and replaced with sockets to avoid this issue in the future)
swapped the head wires on the carriage (magenta and yellow print on either set of ports)
replaced only the black and cyan print head to verify (unless i have two bad print heads that cant be the issue)

im about to say screw it and retire this machine which i really cant afford as it would mean the end to my small business. are there any other things i should check or try?

Terry01

Recheck the fuses.. Make sure ink has drawn right through the head. Swap cables over from MY head to CK head if the MY is printing. Let us know how ya go.

Mikecolle

thats all been done already and thats where i am now. when swappping the heads i swapped the cables same issue on two different heads, no printing on ck head despite being plugged into my ports my still prints when plugged into kc ports, swapped to original print head that was replaced due to cross spraying jets and same issue.
ink is pulling theough the heads verifying by watching the ink pull through the captop tubing to the splitter thats connected to the pump. have also manyally pulled ink through with a syringe to be sure its not a clogged line

Terry01

Sounds like a dead head or 2. Very little else to go wrong. SP300 and 540 are fairly robust and great machines.
Why I say recheck the fuses is because either one of them will blow as soon as you power the machine on, if it has a failed transistor.

Last edited:

Mikecolle

where is the transistor located? im wondering if that could be the cause, i have one more head from the machine that i can try tomorrow ill put that in and see if it works

netsol

where is the transistor located? im wondering if that could be the cause, i have one more head from the machine that i can try tomorrow ill put that in and see if it works

Mikecolle
i believe your machine is almost the same as my sc545-ex
be VERY CAREFUL with the white ribbon cables. almost undoubtedly, you have a foil lifting when you plug them in, causing a short.
it is also possible that you have ink dripped on the ribbon cables. they ink solvent can dissolve the insulation also causing a short.
of course the heads themselves can short.

when i get to my office, i will find service manual and pm you. when you follow the ribbon cables to the big board, there are large transistors with heat sinks (they are screwed to a piece of metal with cooling fins.) i forget if the fuses are right in that area or on an adjacent circuit board.
i do remember that there should be 41volts dc on both sides of the fuses.

again, check the ribbon cables carefully, and, although you want to be printing right away, remember it is very common to do more damage switching ribbons if one of the silver foils is lifting & moving when you plug in to the head board.

netsol

i think we bought the s/m while helping someone with your model
i will send to you if i am correct

we bought our sc545-ex in "can't be fixed" condition
pita at first, but what a workhorse. we bought it in 2018, probably the best money we ever spent!

be patient with your sp300 they are the same series machine, you will be glad you fixed it

Martin204

Transistor death 100%

Attachments

• IMG_20211121_114542.jpg
    IMG_20211121_114542.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 166

Mikecolle

i think we bought the s/m while helping someone with your model
i will send to you if i am correct

we bought our sc545-ex in "can't be fixed" condition
pita at first, but what a workhorse. we bought it in 2018, probably the best money we ever spent!

be patient with your sp300 they are the same series machine, you will be glad you fixed it
oh i need this fixed my car wrap is due for some updates.

Terry01

They are the two banks of them on the heatsinks to the left of the fuses. Fuses will blow if any one of the transistors is faulty to protect the head. Is why I mentioned rechecking fuses.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Did you retest the fuses just to make sure they weren't blown? Check with a multimeter just to confirm, if they are okay, then proceed to the next step. When you did the swap test, did you plug the MY in the CK slots and the CK head into the MY slots to see if anything printed that way? If so and the MY printed plugged into the CK port and the CK didn't print plugged into the MY port, then you know it isn't the cables or the board and it pretty much indicated another bad head, although this is a very unlikely scenario. Let me know and we can go from there.

netsol

Mike
when i checked i had a vp300 not your model at all

but once again, you should see 41vdc on both sides of the fuses

Mantaworld

If you are still having issues, I have several of these printers running everyday....and we do all our own maintenance.I would be happy to talk to you and run thru some ideas....

Mikecolle

shoot me a contact phone number
3 different print heads and the same issue, they cant all be bad, fuse is good, and as stated swapping the cables going to MY and CK MY prints either way, in is flowing, can see it being pulled through the cap top tubes and verified with a syringe. imm really at a loss as to what the issue could be.

netsol

Mike,
There are many other ways that circuit can fail, without blowing a fuse
That's why I keep asking you if there is 41volts on both sides of the fuse
Power transistors normally short, blowing the fuse
One of the junctions in a transistor can open. Leaving the fuse intact
There can be a "cold" solder joint on either of the circuit boards
A foil on a ribbon connector can break. Electrolytic capacitors can open or develop high ESR

I would like to work with you on this, but I think I would start by trying to find someone with a little troubleshooting experience. Someone from a tv repair shop, for example, if they exist any more, could have a quick look at that board & potentially spot a problem you just aren't seeing. This is tough if you have never done a repair, or any troubleshooting
I don't want to cause you to short something accidentally, then you will have your original problem + the shorted transistors we have been looking for

netsol

Stupid question, are you getting the right fuses?
They are very tiny & markings are hard to read
About 4 years ago, I went crazy with one of our printers
They sent me a bag of 1.6 amp pico fuses (used on other Roland models, they look almost identical)
Mine were supposed to be 3.2 amp for my model.

I just reread your posting & realized you have had fuses blow before
Your story sounded just like my experience & you did say you installed fuse sockets

When I get to my office I will order and download your service manual