• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not sure how to go about this................................ ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm gonna give the translated sign back to them and make sure it meets their specs after I lay it out. They can let some illiterate truck driver to read it for all I care. Same for the spanish.

They asked if we offered this service and I said not really, but I know a buncha french canadians that could probably read and write in french. He said, let's give it a try.

I will not tackle the spanish.

gnubler

Not your problem. Don't ever, as in ever, write copy. Including doing translations. Tell the client that this isn't a service you can provide, that you do signs, the client writes the copy. Creating copy is almost guaranteed to bite you in the a$$.
Agreed. The wrong accent mark or minor typo could end up being something profane or comical.

JBurton

Signtologist
Agreed. The wrong accent mark or minor typo could end up being something profane or comical.
That's why I use my phone to copy any given spanish, including the hieroglyphs. Also it does wonders to copy/paste stupid long wifi passwords at airbnb's and such.

JBurton

Signtologist
oh, is that what those things are called?
Yeah, for example:
1677093441181.png

spells 'Left lane for passing only'

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What if you're in england ?? Or one of those other countries who drive on the wrong side of the road.......................

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I meant flip, god damn it (as in the eagle, or corvids or herons...)

Most of our complex hieroglypical signs need at least two sets of two posts 12" box tube 1" section, welded on the new moon facing east with lots of people dressed in robes (no hats) and some (engineer apporved ivy, set in bedrock concrete to depth of at least New Zealand (where the signs are rotated 180).

Last edited:

ikarasu

Welcome to dealing with canada, where everything needs french, and no one speaks it.

We deal with this all the time... Customers "need" the french and ask us to translate it. We usually just send it to a paid translator and make them eat the cost.

We have 6 people in our office who speak French fluently. One from Quebec, one for Mauritius, 2 of them grew up speaking it fluently... Not sure about the other 2. But we have them all a sign with about 20 words to translate, and while all were... Similar, they all had different words / spelling.

When we questioned them on it... Every single one said all 6 signs are technical.correct "but" and then added their own take on it. Which in their defence is true. Apparently a pipeline can be "conduits " or " conduitEs" or some butchered pipeline with weird accents and spellings. One explanation was one is the femenite way to say it....

I'm sure either way would work. But definately get your customer to sign off on a proof, just incase a frenchy complains about it being incorrect and they try to make you eat the cost.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Asking the community for a service when naturally you'd pay a translator for the work?
How much you paying said community for this service?