• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not sure how to handle 3rd party job not picked up

signs_welly

Currently flying by the seat of my pants
Back in April we were contacted by another installer to produce a 10' x 2' HDU routed and painted sign to hang in a plaza. We quoted the job, agreed on a price, and heard nothing for a few weeks. Around May 15th the installer approved the job and gave us a 50% deposit. The check cleared and we started work on the job. I let him know it could take about 6 weeks to complete and he pressed us to complete it faster but didn't want to pay any rush charges. I told him 6 weeks was the estimate and I'd let him know if we had it done before then. In the meantime he asked for some basic drawings for permitting which I supplied at no extra cost. I also mentioned that we'd likely have the sign complete before he got his permit approved based on my experience with the village doing the permitting.

Fast forward to June 15th - the sign is completed (early) and I send out an email to let him know it's ready to be picked up. Heard nothing back for about a week and sent another email. Still nothing. So I call the number we have for him and the number is no longer in service. Then I go to Google and see that the company is listed as Permanently Closed (has been for quite some time - well before this sign was ordered) and the reviews are peppered with unhappy customers who were ghosted by the owner. On July 11th I sent another more sternly worded email letting him know that he needs to contact us regarding the sign and haven't heard anything back.

We have a great relationship with our rep at Tubelite and he was in our shop the other day so I casually asked him if he knew the guy. He says "Honestly? He checked out a while ago. I haven't heard from him since pre-covid."

So here we are today with this 10 foot sign that we've had to move around the shop as it's always in the way of something - risking damaging it every time. We are owed half the balance on the sign and I'm fairly certain this guy isn't coming to pick it up.

I'm leaning toward sending him one last email letting him know that if we haven't heard from him by the end of the day on Monday we'll contact the customer he's supposed to install the sign for and let them know that we have their sign and would be happy to install it for them if they pay us the balance on the sign plus installation. I hate to throw another sign guy under the bus like that but how long should I be waiting for him to at least let me know what's going on? Should I call the village first and see if they'll let me know if there is even a permit in progress for the sign? Should I drive by this guy's shop (about 20 miles away) and bang on his door - if the shop is even still there? I don't want to wait too long with the possibility that he's completely ghosted the end user as well and they find another person to make the sign for them or worse, the sign is damaged being moved around our shop.

This is the first time I've dealt with a situation like this and I'm stumped.

Black Star

Not A New Member
Back in April we were contacted by another installer to produce a 10' x 2' HDU routed and painted sign to hang in a plaza. We quoted the job, agreed on a price, and heard nothing for a few weeks. Around May 15th the installer approved the job and gave us a 50% deposit. The check cleared and we started work on the job. I let him know it could take about 6 weeks to complete and he pressed us to complete it faster but didn't want to pay any rush charges. I told him 6 weeks was the estimate and I'd let him know if we had it done before then. In the meantime he asked for some basic drawings for permitting which I supplied at no extra cost. I also mentioned that we'd likely have the sign complete before he got his permit approved based on my experience with the village doing the permitting.

Fast forward to June 15th - the sign is completed (early) and I send out an email to let him know it's ready to be picked up. Heard nothing back for about a week and sent another email. Still nothing. So I call the number we have for him and the number is no longer in service. Then I go to Google and see that the company is listed as Permanently Closed (has been for quite some time - well before this sign was ordered) and the reviews are peppered with unhappy customers who were ghosted by the owner. On July 11th I sent another more sternly worded email letting him know that he needs to contact us regarding the sign and haven't heard anything back.

We have a great relationship with our rep at Tubelite and he was in our shop the other day so I casually asked him if he knew the guy. He says "Honestly? He checked out a while ago. I haven't heard from him since pre-covid."

So here we are today with this 10 foot sign that we've had to move around the shop as it's always in the way of something - risking damaging it every time. We are owed half the balance on the sign and I'm fairly certain this guy isn't coming to pick it up.

I'm leaning toward sending him one last email letting him know that if we haven't heard from him by the end of the day on Monday we'll contact the customer he's supposed to install the sign for and let them know that we have their sign and would be happy to install it for them if they pay us the balance on the sign plus installation. I hate to throw another sign guy under the bus like that but how long should I be waiting for him to at least let me know what's going on? Should I call the village first and see if they'll let me know if there is even a permit in progress for the sign? Should I drive by this guy's shop (about 20 miles away) and bang on his door - if the shop is even still there? I don't want to wait too long with the possibility that he's completely ghosted the end user as well and they find another person to make the sign for them or worse, the sign is damaged being moved around our shop.

This is the first time I've dealt with a situation like this and I'm stumped.
I say throw the other sign guy under the bus ASAP and contact the business that the sign belongs is for and explain the situation. They may still want that sign. If that guy hasn't responded to you yet, he won't most likely walked away from the whole deal.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds a little odd, especially that you received a deposit and it went through. I wouldn't d!ck around with the first company if you've gotten numerous reports he's no longer around.

I'd contact the company the sign is for, explain to them what happened and that they will most likely be getting the sign at a reduced cost, since the middleman isn't involved any longer. Also tell them, yu can instal it, but there will be some additional costs for that. Also, you need them to get you a permit to do the work. Here's hoping all the pieces fit.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I say throw the other sign guy under the bus ASAP and contact the business that the sign belongs is for and explain the situation. They may still want that sign. If that guy hasn't responded to you yet, he won't most likely walked away from the whole deal.
I don't like throwing anyone under the bus because it's too easy to get a reputation. But sometimes you have to do it to preempt someone who's throwing you under the bus.

signs_welly

Currently flying by the seat of my pants
Did a little digging on the village website for the permit to see what's going on with that and found that a permit was applied for and has been on hold since 6/13 due to a contractor certification hold. Looks like he couldn't get it approved and has probably jumped ship. We'll likely reach out to the end user on Monday to see how to move forward.

Yikes.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
I don't like throwing anyone under the bus because it's too easy to get a reputation. But sometimes you have to do it to preempt someone who's throwing you under the bus.
I think the only reputation you will get is in your own mind. How can you feel bad about something you have no control over?

Call the folks who ordered the sign, tell them what happened, and the rest will roll down hill and land where it may.

Mr. Signboy

I agree with everyone here, call the end user. this is not even close to throwing someone under the bus. That guy got ran over by the bus a while ago...