• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Not sure I'm thinking correctly.........................

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Maybe this has been mentioned, but why don't you just go to him and add a travel charge. With certain customers, it makes more sense to send someone out. Obviously, this won't work in winter, but it may solve a lot of both of your problems.

neutrinocv

Maybe this has been mentioned, but why don't you just go to him and add a travel charge. With certain customers, it makes more sense to send someone out. Obviously, this won't work in winter, but it may solve a lot of both of your problems.
It has been mentionned and Gino will not go down that road for various fair reasons.

Johnny Best

Yea Gino, you have to get tougher with your customers. Just try to get that dumpster!
ginoguardhouse.jpg

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I know several shops that specialize in vehicle wraps that require a deposit to schedule a job. They are extremely busy and have a lot of employees to keep busy. When someone doesn't show up it used to mess up their workflow so bad that they were leaking money. They charge $200 to schedule the job. That $200 was credited towards the total cost of the job if you showed up on time. If not, you were charged another $200 to reschedule the job at the next available time, which was often weeks away. The $200 was enough to stop most of the missed appointments and help pay for the employees lost productivity.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's right....... CheckPoint Charlie. If he does not get the message, the 4th time I tell him....... he will be shot.

Johnny Best

Wonder how many younger people on here had to Google "Checkpoint Charlie"?
Do you hand out a stick and a questionnaire on the person's feeling about you and themselves at the checkpoint Gino? If the guy does bring his dumpster in for lettering you can throw all that stuff in it. Never heard so much garbage on how to handle an appointment not being kept and how to solve it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
That's right....... CheckPoint Charlie. If he does not get the message, the 4th time I tell him....... he will be shot.
Best be careful Gino. Your customer may wait until the weekend when you are closed & then drop a wall of dumpsters around your shop and set up an Autonomous Geno Free Dumpster Zone. Hold you off until you agree to their demands of free-range missed and unscheduled appointments. Haven't you been watching the news? Seems it is the way of things these days.

neutrinocv

Wonder how many younger people on here had to Google "Checkpoint Charlie"?
Do you hand out a stick and a questionnaire on the person's feeling about you and themselves at the checkpoint Gino? If the guy does bring his dumpster in for lettering you can throw all that stuff in it. Never heard so much garbage on how to handle an appointment not being kept and how to solve it.
I know. I know !!!

It's a bar in Cancun.

What do I win, a free Tik Tok app ???

Good night. Take care, be safe Y'all !!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, and all the Jerry Lewis movies, huh ?? I believe he's your national hero up there in both northern and southern canada.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Have a customer for some time, and they are a very good customer. Never really complains, always pays immediately and always coming back.. In the last few months, he's cancelled on me, without any notice. I think it's happened 3 times now in about 4 months. No big deal, except, it's hard to plan around this guy. He has 30 & 40 yard dumpsters. So, when they're scheduled, I need to know when, so I can get it out kinda quickly to free up the space these things take up. So, the first time, he just never showed up and I called him the next day and he gave me some silly excuse. The next time, he didn't show up, I called him and he said he was having difficulty getting a driver to drop it off, cause he was so busy. Next time was about 2 weeks ago. He just never showed up and I didn't bother calling him, so he called me this past Friday and we made arrangements for Monday at noon. Around 4 in the afternoon, I called him and no one answered. I got a call around quarter of five and his girl told me he got so busy over the weekend, he hadda use them right away. First of all, it's illegal for him to have them out unlettered and whatnot, so I don't think that's the problem, but here's my question.........

Would you start charging him for not showing up for a scheduled appointment like they do at the doctors or dentists office ?? If so, how much ?? I'm thinking $100 should get 'em to keep their appointment.

I can always use the work, but I have plenty of other things to be doing, so, not sure if I should let it bother me or not. Like I said, a regular truck or whatever, is fine. Just jockey some things around, but this thing takes up almost 2 bays and cannot be moved whenever ya want to.

:thankyou: Gino​
Gino
I have been reading Mike Adams’ book about business storytelling. What caught my attention is that stories can reduce the push back. And then, I was reading about how they can be the path to success. I started thinking about your story and decided to apply what I have learned. Take a look this story and see if you can make it your own.
# # # # #
Mr. John Doe, on Tuesday, August 4th, 2020, I was happy to hear that you need some work done on your equipment. Over the years, I have grown to really appreciate your loyal relationship with me and my company. Those thoughts came into my mind as I saw your new project.
As things moved along, we agreed together that your equipment would be at my place on Thursday, August 13th, at 8 a.m. (Note: 13 is not my favorite number.)
Then, on Wednesday, I began to go through many steps to prepare a large space for your equipment, and get everything lined up to be ready to start just as soon as it arrived. I knew it would take a couple of my highly skilled crew members, so I blocked out their time. Then, just to be sure, I went over all of my plans with my top team member. I was confident that we were ready to take excellent care of your project in a timely manner. I felt good about it.
Alas, at 8 a.m. the next morning, your equipment was not here. At 8:30 it was not here. My feeling good about it began to turn south. I tried to phone you, but could not get through. Let me tell you, I was starting to feel anger, frustration, all feelings that I do not like to have. I am not able to think straight when I have those feelings. It makes a mess of my whole day, and strangely ripples through my staff.
I am hoping that we can come to some kind of workable solution. I am in a calm mood right now, so it might be a good time to negotiate. Please phone me.
# # # # #
Gino, what do you think? I would enjoy re-writing it to fit your exact situation.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I think you should read Gino's book...it has a much quicker resolution....I would quote it to you but I think S101 would bleep most of it out.