• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Odd Ink Problem...

cptcorn

adad
So I'm happily printing, when the black ink stops flowing... It didn't switch cartridges when the one cart went dry. Ok, replace, hd.maint>fill up> test print... no black coming out anywhere, not even one drop. Do many fill ups, and many hard cleanings and still nothing...

Now what!?

EDIT I Have a JV33-160, all Mimaki Ink, ss21.

Last edited:

Vinylman

Have you checked the ink lines to the dampers?

If dampers are full, any chance there could be an air leak in the black ink line?

Any chance the head is clogged?

Check the docking station gasket for cracks.

As a last resort if you have access to the two drain tubes coming out of the capping station, you can clamp off one of the lines and put a syringe on the other, and with the print head docked draw slowly with the syringe to see if you can regain the ink flow to the head.

hope that helps some.

cptcorn

adad
Dampers are full. Head isn't clogged, test draws were coming out perfect prior to me printing. Gaskets look good on the docking station.

Where can I find a syringe... I know there was one here, but who knows where that is now.

Vinylman

It didn't switch cartridges when the one cart went dry.

EDIT I Have a JV33-160, all Mimaki Ink, ss21.

It sounds like there is or could be a "bubble of air" in the feed lines.

If you can locate your syringe, remove the ink line from the top of the damper {one at a time}. and draw ink down to the end of the line nearest to the damper. Then clamp the line, and re attach it to the damper. I have found that a small forceps [kind of like a pair of scissors, but with plier like jaws} are great for this.

CS-SignSupply

For one time use, purchase a small syringe used for injecting or basting when cooking... get from a local grocery store.

Most any drug stores will have BD brand syringes of different sizes as well.

cptcorn

adad
Ok ... tried pulling ink from both lines at the damper (detatched line) and I got nothing...

Does the machine have to be on?

Case

It didn't switch carts because the sensor in the slot it didn't switch to is broken more than likely.... Put the full cart in the slot that was originally working and go from there.... You will need to have a tech put in a new ink sensor in the other slot or put it in yourself....

Case

Case

Also you don't ever want to pull with a syringe on a JV33 unless you have all the valves open... This has been discussed on other threads as well...

Case

CS-SignSupply

Did you attempt to pull ink through the damper or from the disconnected line pre-damper?

I would not recommend the printer be powered up while doing this... just in case.

If you can pull ink from the line itself (pre-damper), then could be your damper. But it could also be the head, cap station or the pump... Forgive me if terminology is slightly off as I have not worked with Mimaki too much.

My experience with other brands is the cap station assembly is clogged or is allowing air to be pulled through it (not sealing properly).

cptcorn

adad
Disconnected pre-damper (before).

Nothing is coming through the line...

(I was doing this with the machine off... just wanted to make sure I wasnt supposed to have it on)

J Hill Designs

dont know anything about mimakis, but can you check the ink line all the way from the cartridge up to the damper? may be clogged...or there could be a filter that's clogged...

idk...

Vinylman

Just realized something!!

Have you tried going into the service mode and opening the valves on the ink carts?

that relieves some of the back pressure on the ink lines and will allow you to pull ink from the carts into the lines.

send me a PM if you want to discuss other options I could talk with you and see if together we could solve this.

cptcorn

adad
Alright, well, I'm not sure wtf is going on... While the machine was off I opened up the back cover to expose the rear side of the ink carts and checked for movement on (that what I assumed were) the valves... fired the machine back up, ran through the 800th hard cleaning... test draw.... and everything spits out perfect!!

Vinylman

If you can print now GREAT!

Please forward your remittance for the service call to...

P.F.T.F.A.E.T.O.M.:notworthy::ROFLMAO:

robwaterman

I recently discovered the same problem on my JV3 130spII I switched inks from a 4 color to a 6 color and got some air in the lines. On a 4 color set up my printer worked fine. now that i'm running in 6 color. my black and magenta combo head. During the washing process (converting from 4 color to 6 color) i had to wait for two washing cartrdiges to be shipped overnight. (14 hours) now my black won't print at all. during test prints or regular printing.

did it sit overnight with air in the lines? do i need new lines? or can i pull ink through with a syringe?

Rooster

did it sit overnight with air in the lines? do i need new lines? or can i pull ink through with a syringe?

You may be able to run some cleaning cartridges through the ink lines to clean up any residue that may have built up. This should also allow you to be able to inspect the ink lines more easily as the cleaning solution should run clear.