• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Office printer

Sticky Signs

I'm currently using a crappy inkjet printer for the office. It prints fine but costs a small fortune in ink. I'm looking for something that's a little more economic.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
Is it true that laser printers are cheaper to run?

2NinerNiner2

Colour or B&W?

A while ago, I picked up a cheap HP b&w laser at Staples ... 99.95 at the time.

Of course, it's on now for 79.95! ... HP P1102w, a nice, small wireless that prints quickly; easy to set up and prints wirelessly from both my Mac & Win 7 64b PC.

BUT ... I notice that the toner cart is more than the printer! 85.36! ... CE285A

Pretty much all printers are really just ink/toner "vending machines" :)

premiercolour

Merchant Member
You can refill them with costco. They have 100% satisfaction guaarnateed. $10 each cartridge i believe. We also have high quality refill inkjet ink for desktop printer. $15 you can refill 3-4 times. So $45 I can get you both color and black shipped to your door.

sales@fieldcenterusa.com

Justin

You guys are serious? You have $2k to $50k printers/cutters/plotters and your spending $80.00 for a cheapie office printer? Any GOOD printer is going to cost $100-$200.00 and up.. You know the type of printer where the toner/ink isn't going to cost the price of the printer, and it will actually last you more than a year.

Justin

Epson Workforce 1100. Individual ink color replacement helps a lot, and it's a great printer.

Yulp! The individual ink cartridges are key these days IMO! Just like the big printers so if you use a ton of black you just replace black, if you use a ton of yellow, you just replace yellow, etc..

jhanson

Laser or LED is the way to go. Forget inkjet desktop printers... have you ever seen an inkjet paper print get wet? Useless.

For example, an Oki c330dn can be found online as low as $275 (new).

The Workforce 1100 costs about $100.

The Oki c330dn prints color 5 times faster than the Workforce 1100, and B&W twice as fast (using Epson's "laser quality" speed figures). Its duty cycle of 45,000 pages per month is also twice as high as the "business" Epson B-510 (rated for 20,000 pages per month) to say nothing of the Workforce 1100.

And we haven't even gotten to the consumables yet.

Oki toner costs about $100 per color, and each cartridge yields around 3,000 pages, for an average cost per color of $0.03 per page. Obviously that assumes you have 5% coverage of every color on every page.

Epson 69 cartridges for the Workforce 1100 run around $16 for OEM ink, which will give you about 345 pages according to Epson. That works out to almost $0.05 per page; or, if you bought in the same quantity as the Oki toner, you would be paying $140 for a similar amount of coverage.

And considering that each machine comes with the supplies, $275 for an LED printer with four 3,000 page cartridges comes out as a steal. A new Workforce 1100 with 3,000 pages worth of ink doesn't cost $100 -- it would actually cost $600 INCLUDING the initial set of ink they supply with the machine.

Of course, you could get a Workforce 1100 and then run someone else's ink. Costco may be the way to go; I'd avoid the alternative cartridges you find on eBay or at some stores like Fry's. Even so, assuming that a refilled cartridge gives similar yield, you're looking at $350 in ink to make your $100 machine match the yield out of the box with an Oki. Oh, and good luck getting proof-quality colors off an Epson with alternative inks if you don't profile it...

I would really only suggest using an Epson desktop machine if you were planning on printing small color separation film sheets.

OldPaint

iam fortunate i own a HP K850 OFFICE JET. now it aint a $79 printer. its replacement now is called a HP 7000 http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTE...tJ4dVIOHz&CatalogCategoryID=&JumpTo=OfferList
ALSO...........FOR INK....i was able to get a BULK INK SETUP for mine. included 4 new carts, with tubes to a external tank. whole setup was $50. i buy 4 bottles of 4 oz. ink each color for $30. look here and see if your printer is one that can be changed over or pick a printer and then get one that can use bulk ink. http://www.cisinks.com/

rjssigns

HP OfficeJet 7000 Wide Format. Can print 13"x18" sheets, although I only use 11"x17" for portfolio work. Bulk ink tank set-up and my ink costs $15.98 delivered and includes 4 syringes. I get CMYKK(2 blacks) and the bottles are just under 4oz. each. It cost $240 for the whole shebang delivered and set-up. On a Sunday too!
Quality wise I use Aspen Laser with a wp of 96, printing at best quality and never had an issue. (although I do fiddle with PS profiles for output) While in school during Critique Week I never got dinged because of poor quality output. And I had access to the best that HP had to offer including an Indigo. Okay there is a difference between an Indigo's output and my printer, but trying to schedule "run-time" was a PITA with the college print shop and students vying for time.