• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ok Mimaki cutter owners got a question for you!

ok so I have a mimaki CG 75 FX here that I am trying to figure out how to use... I can make cuts just fine, I am using Flexi 8.6
My question is with contour cutting, I printed something out with the mimaki 1 marks on it, I think I set the cutter up correct but I must be missing something.
When I try to set the mark up I get an Error 36 which means that it can't find the marks. I am following the instructions to set it but I am just lost right now.
I also notice that when I am moving the cutter back and forth using the arrow keys it will only travel about 15 inches back and forth. Is there a setting on the cutter that I need to change to make it know that I have a 30" sheet in there?
I'm exhausted now so I am hanging it up for the night but I figured I would post this tonight so I can hopefully have some feedback in the morning when I come back to this machine.
Thanks

GARY CULY

im sure you need to set the perimeters in production manager ...im looking at it here on my 8.1? flexi ...anyways theres so many settings it would be stupid for me to tell you on here ...if you call a flexi rep anywhere .im sure they can walk you through it ..it is just a stting so dont freak out it can be solved quickly ..it just isnt "seeing" for no better word that theres 30 inch mat in there

Last edited:

Vinylman

First thing I would suggest is that you check the locations of the pinch wheels. The sensor on the cutter reads the locations of each of the wheels and will only move left as far as the left most pinch wheel has been set. I have the CG160-fx, and if I forget to set up the plotter with 4 pinch wheels I get some pretty stupid results.

I am still learning my plotter as well, and don't have the cut outline thing down exactly yet myself. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys, I had no idea that there were sensors in the rollers...
I am just getting a chance to mess around with it now so I will post my results with moving the rollers.
In the meantime if anyone else has any suggestions?

iSign

on my CG160-fx, I think I only need to use 3 of 4 wheels, but the 4th has to be pushed alll the way to the left. Then of course the 3 in use must align with grit rollers. Also, there is a mark-detect option in your cutter menu options. This can be toggled on or off. For regular vinyl cutting we turn it off, so to detect marks, we have to turn it on again.

By the way, your wrote "When I try to set the mark up I get an Error 36"

Why don't you take the time to explain everything you do & everything that happens. What you wrote tells me next to nothing.

ok, so I am doing just as my instructions say to do. Reg marks are set to Mimaki type 1, Mark Detect is turned off, I am setting the origin at the lower right mark and then sending it to cut from Flexi. Now when I do this it pulls the sheet all the way back to the lower right edge of the vinyl (not the mark) and then gives me an error 36. If I then push the End button on the display it starts to cut the pattern at the bottom edge of the sheet of vinyl. Any thoughts?

brent brooks

you need to turn mark detect on, on the plotter, i'm not familiar with flexi I use finecut
which has an option called detect mark, which basically tells the program thet you are cutting with registration marks, on your plotter if the detect mark is enabled then you should get a screen message which says TP1 after the plotter has measured the media. Once in TP1 mode you should get a red laser mark showing on the vinyl which is beamed from the front side of the cutter head, position this mark on the inside of the cross marks(reg marks) then hit enter this should cause the plotter to automatically detect all four marks. Just be sure that your pinch rollers are not too close to the mark and that the media is loaded in straight.

iSign

you need to turn mark detect on, on the plotter, i'm not familiar with flexi I use finecut
which has an option called detect mark, which basically tells the program thet you are cutting with registration marks, on your plotter if the detect mark is enabled then you should get a screen message which says TP1 after the plotter has measured the media. Once in TP1 mode you should get a red laser mark showing on the vinyl which is beamed from the front side of the cutter head, position this mark on the inside of the cross marks(reg marks) then hit enter this should cause the plotter to automatically detect all four marks. Just be sure that your pinch rollers are not too close to the mark and that the media is loaded in straight.

agreed!

Mark detect ON

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!
Thank you so much! I downloaded FineCut from Mimaki's website and I was able to cut from there! It's a demo download so now I guess I need to find out how to purchase it.
Thanks for the help!!!

iSign

did you buy your cutter new?
Finecut should be free with every Mimaki plotter. Maybe you can still get it from whoever sold you the plotter. If you got it used, whoever is receiving your ink and media business should be easy to bribe, I mean talk into giving it to you...

...for that matter, whatever you downloaded... are you sure it's just a trial & not everything you need?

Yeah, I get a pop up every time that says that it is a trial and will expire after 60 days. Good idea about bribing one of my suppliers! I am also going to call the guy that I bought it from to see if he has the disk but if memory serves me right he said that he did not.
Thanks

teddybier

on my CG160-fx, there is a mark-detect option in your cutter menu options. This can be toggled on or off. For regular vinyl cutting we turn it off, so to detect marks, we have to turn it on again.

just pushing the end button when the CG asks for the first mark also gets it out of mark detect mode and in "normal vinyl cutting mode". Its a lot easier and faster (imho) this way instead of having to dig in the menu to turn it on and off.

GARY CULY

TEDDY BIER ...i wondered if someone would post that....after loading any material just for cuttinga path without marks. course push ROLL/OR PIECE selection let it read that ...then push END [the head will move to the corner position and wait for file]now shoot the file over ..push REMOTE shell take off a cuttin!

REMEMBER.. in production manager you have to enter the media width up in left corner manually ..if your cutting a 24" vynle and its set to the 52.0-54.0 what ever you PRINT on ...it will not cut the whole thing you send ..mesure center of left wheel to center right wheel..thats your cut area..on 24 in. i set it to 23.2 make sure you file is no more than 23.2 wide before sending ..adjust accordingly to media ...hope this helps lord knows ive gained info from here time i pay back a bit

Last edited:

TheSnowman

If your supplier doesn't have it, we got ours from Advantage. They could probably hook you up w/ one. I really like Fine Cut.