• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ok you Apple Sheep !

WildWestDesigns

How that makes me a "Sheep" or "Cult" follower is comical and just shows how some people will ignore the facts to start an argument.

To my knowledge, no one is saying that just owning a Mac in of itself makes you a part of the flock. Use whatever gets you off, that's not the issue. At least not to me.

What is the issue is when people say:

"Only use Mac for designing."

"You want to make a good impression use a Mac."

"Once you go Mac, you'll never go back." (user on here has that on his siggy, which is not true)

"Macs never get a virus" (which is also not true for all the Mac owners that got that nice present mentioned in the article)

Or any derivative of those and there are more. I am not saying that you said those at any time, however. When people make statements like that, you start to have a labeling of the Cult of Apple, Apple Sheep etc.

I am also not saying that it doesn't happen on the Windows side of things (or Linux), but for those (no matter the side of the equation) that do it, I would label cult members, sheep etc. Does that mean everyone...no it doesn't.

Now don't confuse this with going through point by point the positives and negatives of each platform, but just make sure that those points are relevant to today's time. Not based on the past.

ThinkRight

I have no loyalty to any computer platform.

That is all that matters.
Some people are just the opposite .
Proves my point also, say 1 thing not praising a Mac and it just pushes their buttons . :ROFLMAO:
At least Apple is recognizing they are not above the being hacked and exploited.
It is all good, too many people take too much trivial stuff way to personal...
:toasting:

ThinkRight

To my knowledge, no one is saying that just owning a Mac in of itself makes you a part of the flock. Use whatever gets you off, that's not the issue. At least not to me.

"Once you go Mac, you'll never go back." (user on here has that on his siggy, which is not true)

"Macs never get a virus" (which is also not true for all the Mac owners that got that nice present mentioned in the article)

Or any derivative of those and there are more. I am not saying that you said those at any time, however. When people make statements like that, you start to have a labeling of the Cult of Apple, Apple Sheep etc.

I am also not saying that it doesn't happen on the Windows side of things (or Linux), but for those (no matter the side of the equation) that do it, I would label cult members, sheep etc. Does that mean everyone...no it doesn't.

Now don't confuse this with going through point by point the positives and negatives of each platform, but just make sure that those points are relevant to today's time. Not based on the past.

:goodpost:

SignBurst PCs

That is all that matters.
Some people are just the opposite .
Proves my point also, say 1 thing not praising a Mac and it just pushes their buttons . :ROFLMAO:
At least Apple is recognizing they are not above the being hacked and exploited.
It is all good, too many people take too much trivial stuff way to personal...
:toasting:

I don't think that there is anything wrong with loyalty to a product. I am a pretty strict Windows guy. I do build me a Mac once in a while just to play around and make sure that my "Windows goggles" aren't distorting the deep green color of the grass on my side of the fence.

I just don't care for the folks that seem to believe that they have an enlightened point of view that the other half isn't privy to. I can drive the same brand of car for 20 years without thinking that everyone else is out of their mind for not driving the same car as me.

ThinkRight

I don't think that there is anything wrong with loyalty to a product. I am a pretty strict Windows guy. I do build me a Mac once in a while just to play around and make sure that my "Windows goggles" aren't distorting the deep green color of the grass on my side of the fence.

I just don't care for the folks that seem to believe that they have an enlightened point of view that the other half isn't privy to. I can drive the same brand of car for 20 years without thinking that everyone else is out of their mind for not driving the same car as me.

:goodpost:

mnapuran

Here's a good use for the iPad :rock-n-roll:

Attachments

• ipad.jpg
    ipad.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 69

CES020

Your last line- just make sure these points are relevant to today's times.

I'd say most everything you have said above that is based on the past. I haven't seen anyone say Mac's are superior design computers in this thread or any Mac thread. I think people say "They USED to be", which is quite true. Where did anyone say if you want to make a good impression, use a mac? All those points are the same old, tired points used to defend the argument for the last 15 years.

Oh, let's not forget those that criticize apple products based on one they used 4 years ago, comparing it to their Windows 7 system they bought last week. It seems if you touched an apple product back in 1987, then you're qualified to say that all apple products are hype, as opposed to just using some of the state of the art items out today and give an honest opinion.

rjssigns

Ford or Chevy blah blah blah ad naseum. Use what ya want I don't give a rats a##.
I do however take exception to name calling to try and prove how smart you suddenly became because of an internet article.

WildWestDesigns

I'd say most everything you have said above that is based on the past. I haven't seen anyone say Mac's are superior design computers in this thread or any Mac thread. I think people say "They USED to be", which is quite true. Where did anyone say if you want to make a good impression, use a mac? All those points are the same old, tired points used to defend the argument for the last 15 years.

It is still being posted by people that are members on this very forum. Mainly in the newbie section, but I've seen posts that quoted the exact thing either at the end of last year and/or the beginning of this year.

There are still people that believe that. I rarely see anyone say "used to" in regard to Mac being superior in design making. Mr. Mind is like a Parachute was very much a pro-Mac to which I saw post that quote quite a bit.

Do a search, they are far more recent then you would like to think.

Oh, let's not forget those that criticize apple products based on one they used 4 years ago, comparing it to their Windows 7 system they bought last week.

Last Mac I used is a year old now. My computer with Win 7 is roughly 3 yrs old. I think that would put me in a better position versus the ones that had 4 yrs ago experience. I know you didn't say that I was apart of that group, I just wanted to make sure that my specific situation was known.

Conversely those that really go wild with a Mac compare their Mac to a Netbook or some cheapo from WalMart. So that does go both ways just to be fair.

It seems if you touched an apple product back in 1987, then you're qualified to say that all apple products are hype, as opposed to just using some of the state of the art items out today and give an honest opinion.

I wouldn't say that at all. I hope you are grossly exaggerated, but unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised either if that was true.

ForgeInc

I know a while ago, when someone was considering buying a mac and posted in a thread what are the benefits or reasoning behind the purchase of one I responded (amongst other things) something to the effect of "if you do design work maybe you should get a mac."

I later came to realize the statement was indeed a bit outdated and came from the fact I started on a mac in design school in the early 90's, right when desktop publishing started to happen on personal computers. In my first 2 years of design school we didn't even touch computers, it was all done with t squares, triangles, letraset, rub down type and sending type specs to a service bureau to be set. Then we started learning how to set type on a mac. Long story short, adobe programs (which any reasonable person must admit the bulk of all graphic design was done on) weren't even available on PCs until what...like mid 2000's? So I think many years ago, YES....if you wanted to do design you should get a mac.

Anyway, I later learned (mostly by objectively reading threads on this site) that indeed is an outdated way of thinking. Nowadays you definitely can do pretty much any computer related work on either format, whether it's design or 3d rendering or video editing. The platform doesn't matter. The benefits of either are entirely personal to the user.

What I DO find interesting is I bet a majority of mac users could care less what computer you use, and wouldn't call anyone a "sheep" or "superficial" simply based on the type of computer they use. (Again, of course there are extremes to both sides.) But if someone starts a mac thread or asks questions of other mac users, undoubtly there will be someone chiming in on how naive said person is to want to do something on a computer that is SO overpriced, and try to convince said user that because they use a mac they must be a "follower" or have "bought into the hype" and say they are part of the "cult of Jobs" or other nonsense. Who the frick cares?

Maybe there ARE die hard mac fanatics who make smart alecky comments in the many PC threads on this site with titles such as "blah blah operating system update now I cant run my plotter" or "how do I connect my peripheral in vista alta windows vers 25" or other PC related questions, I don't know cause I probably don't read them. (Come to think of it I think I have actually posted a smart alecky comment (with a wink) of "get a mac" once or twice mostly just to see the reaction so maybe I am part of that problem.)

But again, my main point is who cares? Like others have said, its the same old chevy vs ford debate and you will NEVER change anyone's mind so why bother?

Most people have made a decision to use one or the other and I would bet can't be objective in such a debate. The opinions I think weigh the most are folks who are experts and up to date on BOTH systems, and whom I would listen to if I were undecided in a computer purchase. But my gut says few of them are around. As consumers who spend their hard earned money, most everyone else has a dog in the fight and undoubtedly the endless debate that ensues ends up comical or flat out mean.

I mean...Can't we all just get along?

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Long story short, adobe programs (which any reasonable person must admit the bulk of all graphic design was done on) weren't even available on PCs until what...like mid 2000's?

Wow.

Just.... wow....

I'm not even going to read the rest of your post after your attempt to disseminate such flagrant misinformation.

mopar691

Wow.

Just.... wow....

I'm not even going to read the rest of your post after your attempt to disseminate such flagrant misinformation.

version 2.5 in 1992 was windows first and every version thereafter.

version 1 was in 1990 with the beta starting as early as 1988

mopar691

I can remember going to the University of Minnesota Morris in 1990 or 91 for classes on this software. I had a pile of them big old floppy discs to take with me everywhere.

Layers came out in version 4 i think and that was like amazing!!!

Last edited:

mopar691

That was Photoshop, AI was out on pc in 1989, Version 2.

Version 1 was released in 1987

Quark was about the same way, Ver 1 released in 1987. Version 3.1 supported windows in 1992.

ForgeInc

Wow.

Just.... wow....

You are right OG, you are right....Thats what I get for not checking my facts, seems the more accepted and usable windows versions of adobe (edit to say: this will be an endless debate I'm sure, but still irrelevant to my post above) started to become available around 94-97, depending on the program. I stand corrected.

Feel better?

Last edited:

oldgoatroper

You are right OG, you are right....Thats what I get for not checking my facts, seems the windows versions of adobe started to become available around 94-97, depending on the program. I stand corrected.

Feel better?

Its great that you are big enough to admit a shortcoming, but why do you ask if I feel better?

oldgoatroper

...seems the more accepted and usable windows versions of adobe (edit to say: this will be an endless debate I'm sure, but still irrelevant to my post above) started to become available around 94-97, depending on the program

sooooooo.....

In just a few short moments, you've gone from being unaware that Adobe published versions of its programs for PCs in the nineties to......

having an opinion on how useful these versions were in comparison to the fabled Mac versions...

Your speculative powers amaze me.

WildWestDesigns

I had a pile of them big old floppy discs to take with me everywhere.

I remember those days. I still have some of the floppy discs and the harder 3" ones laying around stitch files on them. I don't use the true floppy ones anymore, but I will on occasion load those on the one computer that I have that still has a drive for those diskettes. Ironically that computer is running Linux.