• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ok you Apple Sheep !

WildWestDesigns

Yea, but now what you are going to get is Apple coming back and going "see how evil Flash is, that's how you got that virus. HTML 5 all the way baby."

BPI Color

I've used both for years. MACs have their issues same as PCs. You pick the appropriate machine for the task and you take your share of lumps no matter which way you jump.

ThinkRight

It was more of a jab at the "Smug" attitude that apple sheep have .
" They are better than everyone else "
Apple sold a few million puters, not worth the hackers time, PC 's sold hundreds of millions....More fun for the malicious code writers.
Apple has good products, just not worth the money.
Now PC/ Apple are on an even battle ground....(Virus wise)

jhanson

There are technical merits to OSX from a security standpoint. It's not necessarily harder to write a virus for OSX than it is for windows -- but it IS harder to find a security flaw for your virus (or, in the case of the Register article, a trojan would be more accurate) to exploit.

Linux also fits into the same boat, with the added confusion of so many different architectures, distributions, and software versions to keep track of that it makes things that much harder for malware writers.

Theoretically, you can write a virus for anything. The question to ask is, is it worth the effort? Windows has a double whammy since it's not only the biggest (relatively homogeneous) platform in desktop PCs, but it's also the most flawed.

It looks like Android is quickly becoming the #2 target for malware writers... because, guess what, it's the #1 smartphone platform in the world and it has a software ecosystem with relatively few user restrictions. Almost like Windows (the difference is that it's much harder to root the Android kernel than Windows, but the stuff in userspace is what they're after on a smartphone anyway).

CES020

If you were on a Mac, you would have known about that 2 weeks ago when it came out :Big Laugh

Oh, here we go with the "The Sky is Falling, the Sky is Falling" on Mac's. Let's see, that's 2 now.......compared to?

In all honesty, I use PC's everyday. We have 6 or 8 of them. I have a Mac on my desk running Windows 7 Pro. I switched my desktop to the Mac about a year ago now. At the time, I heard the same thing, "the sky is falling, the sky is falling", and it's been a year now and we're up to #2. I'll take that risk. I've had 12 months of not having to even remotely think about it.

Compare that to the voice I heard from the other room today "Hey, I just downloaded this PC optimizer and it says it's found 873 issues on this computer, should I tell it to fix them"? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My response "Where did you get the PC Optimizer?". Oh, it popped up, so I clicked it. :::::pulling gun out and shooting self in head:::::::

SignBurst PCs

You won't see any Apple bashing from me. I just hope that EVERYONE realizes that there are malicious threats out there and ignoring them is ignorant. I am glad that Apple is not perpetrating that myth any longer.

As far as Windows being "the most flawed", I have seen many "white hat" security evaluations with Windows 7 fairing better than OSX. There is an argument to be made either way. To me, it is simply a numbers game. The biggest flock attracts the wolves.

I was not impressed with the 3 weeks of vulnerability though (before patch was issued). But, I cannot say that it hasn't happened on the Windows side before.

jhanson

As far as Windows being "the most flawed", I have seen many "white hat" security evaluations with Windows 7 fairing better than OSX. There is an argument to be made either way. To me, it is simply a numbers game. The biggest flock attracts the wolves..

The bad thing about Windows studies is that a great many of them are sponsored by Microsoft. And they Have An Agenda.

If you want real-world results, look no further than Pwn2Own.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Compare that to the voice I heard from the other room today "Hey, I just downloaded this PC optimizer and it says it's found 873 issues on this computer, should I tell it to fix them"? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My response "Where did you get the PC Optimizer?". Oh, it popped up, so I clicked it. :::::pulling gun out and shooting self in head:::::::

Sounds like you might want to add "basic computer skills required" to your job application forms.

wayne k
guam usa

SignBurst PCs

The bad thing about Windows studies is that a great many of them are sponsored by Microsoft. And they Have An Agenda.

If you want real-world results, look no further than Pwn2Own.

I am not referring to Microsoft studies. I am talking about real world white hat security. As a matter of fact, last year's Pwn2Own is a pretty good example. Apple's OSX was the first to be hacked. This year, they were the only one not hacked (Safari). It is a constant battle with all operating systems and browsers. One can be the most secure one minute, then a vulnerability is found, exploited, and it is not on top anymore. Believing that you are "completely safe" while connected to the Internet, in any OS or browser, is a bit naive.

bjones

Hehe.. some malware actually does affect a mac once in years and it's the whole 'apple sheep' lameness :) It's no more lame to be an apple 'sheep' than it is to be that dork that has to call apple users sheep

Locals Find!

It was the owner of the company. Not much I can do about that.

Yes, You can you show him simply how being ignorant of the real world translates into lost revenue. Explain to him politely that he hires employees to be smarter than himself for a reason and if he doesn't know he should ask one of his paid employees. That is what they are there for. DUH!!!

If that doesn't work let him ruin his computers with viruses and charge him extra to fix it. Then save up all that money and buy him out.

Of course their is the 3rd option. Get a 2x4 and smack him upside the head with it. (Option 3 is usually reserved for Mac Users when they start in how Macs are better. I personally prefer to make my own choices when it comes to computing and not be dictated to by a DEAD guy's cult followers)

WildWestDesigns

Hehe.. some malware actually does affect a mac once in years and it's the whole 'apple sheep' lameness :) It's no more lame to be an apple 'sheep' than it is to be that dork that has to call apple users sheep

What gets me is that you have Mac users (and you do have Windows people as well) that say you can only design on a Mac. Mac's don't get viruses. Macs last forever. If you want to have the right equipment, have to have a Mac. Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.

I think that's what get's people more then anything. I'm not saying that you don't have wack jobs on the other side of the fence either.

They all have their issues, you just learn about them and deal with them. I can't remember the last time I actually got a virus and I'm running the horrid Windows 7 OS.

bjones

Yep. I agree wildwest. A little common sense and no viruses no matter the platform. Zealotry on either side of any given fence sucks :)

I like windows for some things hate it for others.. I can say the same for macs. I just happen to like using my macs for design as the apps seem to just flow better to me, but I use PC's for all my printing/cutting for generally the same reason.

ThinkRight

I was not saying all apple users were sheep.
But to the ones that are ...Haha
You know as well as the rest of us that those smug ,arrogant whiny mac boys are very irritating .
And not everybody with mac is like that .

bjones

I was not saying all apple users were sheep.
But to the ones that are ...Haha
You know as well as the rest of us that those smug ,arrogant whiny mac boys are very irritating .
And not everybody with mac is like that .

Sorry bud, but the fact that you posted this at all just makes you look like the 'smug arrogant windows sheep'. A sheep of a different color, but the very same breed you had to be negative against. What does it matter to you if someone loves the computer they use? Why does it concern you so much that you have to call them names because of it?

ThinkRight

Sorry bud, but the fact that you posted this at all just makes you look like the 'smug arrogant windows sheep'. A sheep of a different color, but the very same breed you had to be negative against. What does it matter to you if someone loves the computer they use? Why does it concern you so much that you have to call them names because of it?

Take a chill pill :toasting:

CES020

I've earned my right to have an opinion on which computer I want to use. How that makes me a "Sheep" or "Cult" follower is comical and just shows how some people will ignore the facts to start an argument.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I started on a Commodore VIC-20 that plugged into the t.v. and had a cassette deck for storage. I've used PC's since there was a PC. I used DOS long before Windows came around. I've worked on UNIX workstations, mainframes, and PC's. I ALWAYS liked UNIX from my first experiences with it. It had features DECADES before Microsoft even had a clue.

My best friends growing up went into printing and graphics. I argued with them daily about how Mac's sucked, even though I didn't have or use one (yeah, that was brilliant, arguing about something I didn't have real time personal experience with).

So I've "been there, done that".

Do I think any of my programs work better on my Mac? Nope.

Given the choice, a new PC sitting 12 feet from me with Windows 7 Pro or my Mac, which would I walk to first, it would be my Mac. Not because I have apple stock, not because I'm a "fanboy", it's just a personal preference on tiny things like when I open an email, and someone says "Can you meet for lunch at 11:30 tomorrow?", it pops up a little drop down and if I hover over it, it asks me if I want to add it to my calendar, which, when done, updates the calendar on my phone.

It's just a bunch of those tiny things that get blown off as trivial that all add up for a more pleasant user experience for ME. Might not for YOU, but they do for ME. That's just one tiny thing, but there are many little things just like that just make the overall usage of it something I personally like better. Things like being able to see EPS previews in my email. So when someone sends an EPS file, I don't have to open the file to see it, I can see the preview of what it is. Is that a big deal? No. Is that one more tiny thing that makes the experience more pleasant for me? Yes.

Doesn't make it better or worse, it just makes it different and I choose what I like, much like all of you do all with everything else in life.

After using computers for the decades I have used them, I think I have earned my right to have my opinion without being called a cult member or a blind follower. If it was a pain to use, I'd push it off the desk today and replace it with something that was easier for me to use. I have no loyalty to any computer platform.