• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old English LOL

TammieH

Coming this March will mark my 40th year in the sign business (yes, I started when I was 9 months old)

Anyway, Today after nearly 40 years I made a sign with Old English

I even let the customer know my displeasure...but he won out :p

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
The only way to forget is with a 40 of Old English.

(for old people that may send me a PM or email, a "40" is a 40 oz malt liquor beverage(served in glass from the partystore))))))))))OE)))))))))

And yes, the easiest way to read this color is to highlight it.

SignosaurusRex

Was it true "Old English", or one of the other Black-letter families? Please tell me that you weren't asked to do it in all upper-case! :O

Years ago I had to hand letter that stuff day after day on 4x4 and 4x8 signs for a couple of local Realtors. Always Dark Brown lettering on Yellow or White. I developed a distaste for those color combinations and "Old English".

printhog

lol.. my first sign shop job.. main real estate client used old english - but white over matte finish dark brown.. always took two coats of one shot.. and then screen print the same crap a few hundred times for the yard signs - more white over gloss dark brown.. i must have loved this trade to weather that..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My very first job in the sign world was lettering a drumhead in Old English for a local band. I was in 8th grade. I got $10. That led to quite a few other bands drumheads. They all wanted Old English, but all upper/lower. I raised my price as each new one came in. That was the start of it for me. My first one was dark yellow on black and I used black shocard and tempera paint for the lettering.

Starter

My very first job in the sign world was lettering a drumhead in Old English for a local band. I was in 8th grade. I got $10. That led to quite a few other bands drumheads. They all wanted Old English, but all upper/lower. I raised my price as each new one came in. That was the start of it for me. My first one was dark yellow on black and I used black shocard and tempera paint for the lettering.

Now that's how you "drum" up new business :thumb:

sardocs

Back in '76 I had been working as a screen printer apprentice/shop boy in Prince George BC. There were 2 journeyman sign painters and me. I had never seen handlettering done before that. I worked there for a couple years trace-cutting ulano films and printing metal signs. Then I moved to a small town 100 mile out into the bush to work at a sawmill and was happy making 3 times the money puttin' lumber in piles. Some of the logging truck drivers got wind of me having spent time in the sign shop in the "Big City" and asked me to letter their trucks. From watching the signpainters working at my old job I knew what oneshot was and where to buy some quills. Of course they wanted Old English, caps on a curve. With speedball book for reference and a homemade mahl I did a rather shakey interpretation of the letters in the book. I stood back and thought "Holy Smut, that looks like shyt". The truckers looked at the doors and said "Wow, that looks great!, here's $200". I've been doing signs ever since.