• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OLD wrap removal

mnapuran

Okay... so we all know that heat and steam only get so far on old/bad wraps. And erasers can take forever and can get costly too.

What other methods have been used out there, to prep the car for another wrap (versus just removing the wrap and hoping the paint is ok)?

Orbital sanding? Sand blast or Media blasting? Other? ;)

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Remove and charge accordingly.

The client should NEVER have let it get that bad. Fault is on the client now they must pony up the money.

Other option....
Replace the hood. Guessing a few hundred bucks would get you a good salvage one. If rewrapping, the color does not matter

Keith_F

We just did one like this at our shop it cost the customer around $1700 for removal. We set up a billable item for removal and they get billed by the hour. Its definitely on the customer to not let it get this bad.

Lil' chiselers, scrape rite plastic scraper blades, rapid remover, hours, hours, hours and hours. There is no fun / easy way to do it. But I like the buy a new hood method!

There will most likely be some clear coat inconsistencies where the cracks in the vinyl are.The paint **should** be fine, I mean, the vinyl took ALL of the sun damage. I would still be careful. On the wrap we took off there were some areas where whoever installed it cut to deep while finishing and cut through the paint and whole sections were rusted out under the paint that came off with the vinyl. So look out for that...

Good Luck!

AKwrapguy

The new hood would probably be cheaper agreed. But if the customer was didn't want to do that than it's an hourly rate. Start of removing as much with heat and remover as you can. Than hit it with the wheel. For something like that we would probably end up charging over $1000.

mnapuran

It's not just the hood that's bad... and since it will be re-wrapped, was hoping there was a more aggressive, easier way to remove ;)

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
4000 PSI steam/hot pressure washer.... sand blaster, belt sander, etc. Handheld steamer with a lot of time and patience with some plastic scrapers and a couple of gallons of xylol to clean up. I'd also say by looking at that hood that I'd almost guarantee paint and/or clear coat damage.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the money truck will be backing up to your shop

Heat & peel a bit
And.......
Repeat several hindered times

Bad client bad client (scolding not a BAD client)

Hours into removal x rate = bill
I’d discuss this with you client. Tell them how to remove it and maybe they will do it for you.

Billct2

The hood isn't worth it for the cost of a replacement, the sides shouldl be easier. Still the cost of the removal is going to be painful.

ikarasu

I'd subcontract it out to another shop. Preferably a competitor I'd want to be tied up for a month, so they couldn't bid on the profitable jobs :D

In all seriousness, I wouldn't want to touch it. You're not going to get it all off without damage - Whether its complete paint removal, or scratches, or one of your guys punching out a window out of frustration after hours of removing a 12" section.

Have you tried to remove it at all? I'd say do some trials. Begin with a simple scraper, time doing a FT of the worst section... then give the customer the bad news on how much it'd cost based on that estimate.

By the time you're done removing all the vinyl, getting it prep ready to re-vinyl... then the amount you charge him to re-vinyl, he could probably buy a used truck in better condition.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We used this from the orange box store with good results:
Citristrip 1/2 gal. Safer Paint and Varnish Stripping Gel-HCG73803T - The Home Depot
Turned the wrap into goo that could be removed with a plastic spreader. Rinsed off the excess and it didn't seem to harm the paint. Didn't let it stay on the paint too long after the vinyl was removed. This were on tanker trailers. It's non toxic, citrus based. If you get overheated you can cut it with water and pour it over ice for a refresher.
You could buy a pint or quart and try it out on a small area for a trial run.

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
replacing hood is not always the best way to go. I just did it last week and still took me half a day to hunt down a hood from a junk yard. go there. find it. Remove it with someone. ( you can remove the vinyl yourself but you can not remove a large suv hood by yourself) then change the hood with somebody then take the old one back for the core charge. Just aligning the hood took forever.. And good luck finding a hood that's in a decent shape and finish.
I could have remove the vinyl from the vinyl in half of that time probably