• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Omega 5 cannot locate Edge 2 or Envision plotter

Titch Sanders

Hi Folks, if anyone is on here today..understandably if not....
Attempting to run my recently acquired Edge 2 and Envision plotter on a new pc running XP pro.
I can set up a 'job' on the programme etc no problem, but come time to print...nothing..nor can I cut on the plotter. It's as if the programme doesn't 'see' the plotter or printer. Running a direct, Gerber usb cable to pc, the plotter has a serial port converted to usb.
I certainly aren't able to understand the 'guts' of programmes etc though unfortunately.. I do get, when I initially try to print, error code: Incorrect function: (1) file gq_pftp.cpp line 1053, making me think the programme is spooling the file, in readiness when I can tell it where the printer or plotter is connected..??
Any clues guys please?
Regards,
Titch Sanders (UK)

Attila Nagy

Have you added the printer and the cutter to Gqmgr?
Did you install the Gerber USB cable Driver?
Start investigate in your device manager, if the drivers are installed.

Titch Sanders

Hi There, thanks for writing back.
Hope Christmas was OK for you too..
I can see 'device select' from the drop down menu 'file' ? that is showing Gerber EDGE2 highlighted?

netsol

Premium Subscriber
titch
if you have never setup the equipment, the serial device needs to be set

if the parallel is also on a usb adapter it has no setting, other than perhaps a parallel mode (bidirectional/epp/ecp)

the serial you will need to go into device manager ports choose that port, go to advanced, and match the settings to the envison
settings. i can work on this with you later, if necessary

it is also worth noting that if the com port is lower than 5, we need to go into bios setup for the computer and be sure the onboard com port is disabled
there is almost always one, even if there is no visible header (a 9 pin or 25 pin connect), it still will exist and complicate your life on many computers

both usb adapters have a specific driver that needs to install, otherwise they will become a "composite device" (this just means non functional to you)

Jburns

Here is my setup for reference - you need to look at the devices in GQ manager ( spooler) send a cut or prit job ( or open up GQ manager in the program file) and you can view your devices. ( I have my envision on COM 6 - which happens to be generic USB-serial adaptor.

Attachments

• Omega Device Manager.PNG
    Omega Device Manager.PNG
    19 KB · Views: 340
  • Omega GQ Manager Envision.PNG
    Omega GQ Manager Envision.PNG
    24.4 KB · Views: 350
  • OMega GQ Manager Printer on USB.PNG
    OMega GQ Manager Printer on USB.PNG
    21.7 KB · Views: 336

netsol

Premium Subscriber
jburns, what we needs to set is the com port settings
device manager>ports>comx>advanced. (ie: 8, 1, none odd, xon-xoff)

the usb to serial still needs to have the com port settings match the envision, the port created is virtual, but it is still a dumb device, just like the real com port. no plug & play device here. i have set these up for over 30 years (modems, shipping scales, scanners, hp laser printers <back in the 80's>)

hopefully, titch will message me from my profile page. attilla is very good, but these can be very cranky, setting up the first time

Titch Sanders

Just a quick Thank You, to all that helped here.. it may be just me, (Non Techno Titch) but may have been a combination of everyone's, gratefully received, advice.. So Thanks again, I feel like I've moved forward 15 years now..
Except...but I'll ask another question on another post..showing/displaying dimensions at the bottom of the screen when I select any/all objects??
Thanks again everyone,
Dumb Titch