• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Omega 8 other comm ports not available?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Only allowing com 1 and USB all others greyed out. How do I change to com 2?
TIA
Go to your system manager and see if you didn't accidently disable them. More than likely, that's the case.

Whenever I disable my Internet connection, I'll sometimes get in a hurry and accidently disable a COM port.

JB

netsol

my guess would be that they are telling you the truth.
WHAT OTHER COM PORTS are you expecting to find?
do you have DB9 connectors on your pc that might be shut off?
finding com 1 available is like winning the lottery these days

IF YOU THINK you should have the access to com2 go into bios (uefi) and look for peripherals
either com 2 is disabled or you need to change settings
EVEN IF they are available in the BIOS you would probably need to purchase a proprietary 8 pin header to "break out" the connector to db9

if you have a desktop, you probably have a pci express expansion slot & can add a serial card, but, you will have to match the settings manually

this is an issue even with usb-serial adapters, since only one end of the adapteer is a "smart" device that can configure itself, the other needs to have setting specified manually