• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Omega users

threeputt

Quick question...

How is it possible to change "page size" when exporting .eps files to the RIP program? In other words if I output a square that measures 12"x12", my RIP program (Versaworks) sees the shape as 12.4" x 12.4". I've looked in the options tab of my export filter but don't see anything there.

Example of problem:
Yesterday I tried to print a banner 36"x96". The RIP sees the 36" as 36.4" for some reason. And the most I could get the Roland width to was 36.3". So consequently it wants to "panel" the layout, when in reality there's room for the print.

Anybody with some expertise care to help?

threeputt

Nope, they don't.

But someone has told me on this board to "adjust page size" but I can't find the post. Even my tech for the software program says it's an internal setting in Omega...has nothing to do with the RIP program.

Any help would be way cool.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
An educated guess would be that Omega does some converting to pixels when measuring and there are minor differences that get magnified.

I Edge printed some 36" measuring tapes a few years ago for my Keen Cutter table and ended up redoing them by trial and error until they came out right. Going by the vector position, it was dead on but at the end of 36" there was a 1/2 inch error.

GB2

Old Member
Well, just to chime in quickly without significant details, I often find minor size differences when taking graphic elements from Omega to Illustrator. I just considered it "one of those things" and have developed the habit of always resizing first in Illustrator before proceeding, if the size is critical. I have often thought that it might be influenced by strokes also but never looked closely enough to confirm that to my satisfaction. I really do wish that the correct size was a seamless intigration though.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Uh oh......we've printed several decals with precise measurements for surveying... All set up to scale of course but now I'm starting to wonder if they printed properly...?!:covereyes:
I'm sure they would have come back by now but I guess it's something to keep in mind for the future.
How did you manage to get it to work Fred?

I precisely measured the error and then calculated from that the correction needed. I then moved each vector the correction amount I had calculated. It was still slightly off, so I repeated step 2 until I had a correct ruler.

In discussion with Tony Teveris, my recollection was that it had to do with internal conversion from decimal to pixels and may be effected by the resolution you are operating at. Basically he said that one pixel = .003" as the closest one can come but that this is not totally precise.

If you're going back and forth between a Postscript application and a non-Postscript application such as Illustrator and Omega, you may also be running into the difference between standards. I'm not finding a quick reference but I seem to recall that Windows uses a 72 points to an inch standard while Postscript uses a 72 and a fraction standard.

threeputt

Wow Fred! You're versed in this stuff, aren't you? You know the funny thing is, is that I believe we had this "problem" fixed sometime before. But then I updated Versaworks with the newest version. And about that same time this started occuring again. I've also updated Omega to 2.61 about that same time. So maybe there's a preset or preference setting that I missed, although Omega is really good about preserving your preferences when you update, so it's likely not that.

Again, if I remember correctly, Sam my Roland tech said it's internal in Omega, and fixable. I believe he said "page size" but now sure. I'm trying to get ahold of him now.

Tony Teveris

I just made a 12x5" box, Kelly Green, exported as EPS, opened in CS3 and selected the box. CS3 says 12 x5 Kelly Green.

Now the "artboard" is a different size and maybe other programs are looking at that.

In the EPS file we have:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
%%Creator:Gerber Scientific Products Exported from Omega
%%For: (Tony Teveris) (GSP)
%%Title: (GSP EPS Export)
%%CreationDate: 10/31/108 16:33
%%BoundingBox: 222 1073 582 1937
%%DocumentProcessColors: Cyan Magenta Yellow Black
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: procset Adobe_level2_AI5 1.2 0
%%+ procset AGM_Gradient 1.0 0
%%+ procset Adobe_ColorImage_AI6 1.1 0
%%+ procset Adobe_Illustrator_AI5 1.3 0
%%+ procset Adobe_cshow 2.0 8
%AI5_FileFormat 3.0
%AI3_ColorUsage: Color
%AI3_IncludePlacedImages
%AI7_ImageSettings: 1
%%DocumentCustomColors: (CutContour)
%%CMYKCustomColor: 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1 (CutContour)
%%AI6_ColorSeparationSet: 1 1 (AI6 Default Color Separation Set)
%%+ Options: 1 16 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 18 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -1 -1
%%+ PPD: 1 21 0 0 60 45 2 2 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ()
%AI3_TemplateBox: 186 987 618 2024
%AI3_TileBox: 18 12 594 780
%AI3_DocumentPreview: Header
%AI5_ArtSize: 396 950
%AI5_RulerUnits: 2
%AI5_ArtFlags: 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0
%AI5_TargetResolution: 800
%AI5_NumLayers: 1
%AI5_OpenToView: 122 2037 1.000000 1000 700 26 0 0 0 0 0 0
%AI5_OpenViewLayers: 7
%%PageOrigin:18 12
%%AI3_PaperRect:-18 780 594 -12
%%AI3_Margin:18 -12 -18 12
%AI7_GridSettings: 72 8 72 8 1 0 0.8 0.8 0.8 0.9 0.9 0.9
%AI9_Flatten: 0
%%EndComments

The above artsize maybe the problem I need to look at code to see where this preamble crap comes from. Within AI the lines that begin with %% are to be comments but many apps will read these and use the info.

Also, AI units are 1" = 72, so 12" = 864

If I edit the EPS and mess with the artsize my artboard rectangle changes.

Fred, as for you losing 1/2" I'm really sorry about that.

Tony Teveris

threeputt send me a file and info on what you think it should be and what VW says. I'll dig into from my end.

Omega's internal database resolution is .001"

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred, as for you losing 1/2" I'm really sorry about that.

Actually Tony, it added 1/2 an inch. I sold my findings to a chemist for a lot of money and, as I understand it, he has made millions by selling it in the form of an ointment on the internet.

:omg2: :Oops:

threeputt

With the help of a tech at Versaworks, I've got it fixed!

It's the .eps margin setting in VW itself.

For any with similar problems, here's how:
Open VW. Click on the Edit, Queue A settings, File Format. Then set the EPS margin to zero. That's it. It'll stay that way as a preference until you elect to change it.

threeputt

And thank you again Tony for taking the time to work on this problem for me. You're a great resource and friend of Omega users worldwide.

AZPAPACHUCK

I have been cutting vinyl since 1985 with a Gerber Signmaker IVB and about 5 months ago my Signmaker broke down and I purchased a brand new P2s Plotter with Omega 2.6.1 software. At the same time the new plotter arrived, I found the parts to fix the signmaker and had some other things come up to prevent me from even opening the cartons. Now, Gerber won't answer any questions unless I pay for the service. I'm learning the software and only wish to cut single color vinyl right now. The problem is importing images and files. How do I import a file that cuts smoothly without the ragged pixel cuts? I can't seem to find any information that tells me exactly how I am doing it wrong. Please help if you can...