• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question On Print/Cut which one is better?

Print and Cut Machine ?

• Total voters

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I am still trying to make a decision between Mimaki CJV and Roland TrueVIS ?

Saam, I have a branch in Anaheim and I would love to show you some options. I think it would be a great idea to see why a separate cut system would be more beneficial for what you do. Have you seen an HP Latex before? I am a dealer of both Mimaki and HP, you will not find a bigger nerd when it comes to this stuff! Feel free to reach out anytime 714-878-7989 I am Josh.

rjssigns

Saam you forgot to add None to your poll.

Been there done that with a SP540V. Bought a Summa before I went broke trying to get usable contour cuts from the Roland.

Only exception would be if you're only doing sheets at 4' or less.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I still cant for the life of me figure out why anyone would want a print/cut machine.
For one....... If laminating your prints you still have to unload, and reload.
For two....... My printer is printing, While my cutter is cutting.

This is Mutoh's philosophy as well which is why they don't offer one. That being said, we are Mutoh and Mimaki dealers and we sell probably 20 Mimaki print and cuts for every Mutoh printer with separate cutter. We have a lot of smaller shops as customers or people simply working out of their house. Most people do it for the space savings.

If you have the space, a separate printer and cutter will always be, not only more efficient, but will also cut faster and more accurately.

Saam

I have enough space for both machines, but I just thought it will be more accurate if you don't load and unload the job.
I just saw a demo on Mimaki CJV and I loved it.
So What combination of Print , cut and laminator do you recommend ? Application: Aluminum signs, Decals, Wall Graphics, .... Preferred size : 54"

Thanks

CanuckSigns

I have enough space for both machines, but I just thought it will be more accurate if you don't load and unload the job.
So What combination of Print , cut and laminator do you recommend ? Application: Aluminum signs, Decals, Wall Graphics, .... Preferred size : 54"

Thanks
all of the products you listed should be laminated, so they need to be removed from the printer, laminated and put back in the machine, which eliminates any benefit to the print/cut workflow, and in fact hurts it, say you have a large decal order, with a seperate printer and cutter, you can be cutting while your printer is still printing the job, but with a print/cut machine you can't.

We had print/cut rolands for 13 years before we went with a separate cutter, the productivity boost with a stand alone cutter is like night and day

C

ColoPrinthead

Thanks
Does that printer laminate also?

Saam

How about a separate print and cut ! On the plotter, I have heard Graphtec is really good. and then again , on printer I personally think Mimaki is better than Roland . Has anyone had issues with Mimaki printers ?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
How about a separate print and cut ! On the plotter, I have heard Graphtec is really good. and then again , on printer I personally think Mimaki is better than Roland . Has anyone had issues with Mimaki printers ?

Look at LATEX by HP. You would be good with the 315 print and cut solution, $14,995! . You like doing daily maintenance and waiting for stuff to dry? Do you like Banding and VOC's in the air you breath?

jpescobar

Wow I did not know about HP Latex. Any disadvantage on HP Latex?

I agree with BigfishDM that the HP Latex is more suited for wide format printing business especially printing and cutting without sacrificing a job to another. HP Latex Print & Cut solution is a gainful product, no need to wait for outgassing, it's odorless and friendly environmental. There are many threads in the forum on HP Latex vs Eco-Solvent technology (make a search). There are also plenty of blogs and websites explaining why the HP Latex is the way to go. You will find answers, demos and hundreds of documentations on Latex technology.

I can't give the cons of the Latex but you should see it, print some jobs and decide by yourself before purchasing. I highly adivse you to not buy print or cut solution like the CJV and the TrueVis. Here a video on the benefits of the HP Latex Print & Cut solution.

C

ColoPrinthead

Look at LATEX by HP. You would be good with the 315 print and cut solution, $14,995! . You like doing daily maintenance and waiting for stuff to dry? Do you like Banding and VOC's in the air you breath?
Those are HP's favorite talking points, as proven by $14,000 worth of testing by an environmental consulting firm, I learned that running 2 GS6000s in a 10x25' closed room has less VOCs than the air outside of the building. I posted the report here back in 2011/12.

particleman

Wow I did not know about HP Latex. Any disadvantage on HP Latex?

Saam, I see you are new here. Just a heads up these threads usually erode into battles about Latex vs Solvent printers and this one is probably no exception. If you use the site search you'll find literally hundreds of threads on this topic with lots of useful information. There are legitimate reasons one is more appropriate than the other.

More to your topic, as others have stated you would probably be better served with a separate printer and cutter (get a summa).

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Just a heads up these threads usually erode into battles about Latex vs Solvent printers and this one is probably no exception.

The truth of the matter is that the split between Latex users and Solvent users is about 50/50 if you look at market share reports. Will be interesting to see where things go from here. My bet is everything becomes UV in the next 20 years.

DerbyCitySignGuy

I still cant for the life of me figure out why anyone would want a print/cut machine.
For one....... If laminating your prints you still have to unload, and reload.
For two....... My printer is printing, While my cutter is cutting.

They're good if you're not high volume and you need/want to save space. Otherwise, you're definitely better served by having two separate machines.