• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

One man shop growing pains

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Yes on 30 feet for rigs, and I can roll tables & stuff around when I'm not doing a vehicle. I have two helpers coming tomorrow to move all the big stuff. I LOVE moving...

The crackhead tenant beside me has already been in and out of the bathroom six times this morning (we share a bathroom/kitchen). Toilet never flushes. Having my own personal space at the new shop is going to be like paradise!
I'm excited for you. I can't imagine having to share facilities with a neighbor! Lame. You really are making a good move.

gnubler

Thanks for the support, I'm excited too. My gut feeling says this will be a good move for the business. The new place will look so much nicer...appearances count for a lot.

Scotchbrite

No comment
I'm always surprised customers don't make a point to come by our shop just to get a feel for what kind of operation they're dealing with. I feel like you could tell a lot by what you see in a shop setup.

Boudica

I'm always surprised customers don't make a point to come by our shop just to get a feel for what kind of operation they're dealing with. I feel like you could tell a lot by what you see in a shop setup.
We have a lot of customers come visit for this very reason - to see the equipment, the set up, look at materials and options etc.. they are always impressed. It helps to have the huge Agfa Annapurna front and center in the studio when you walk in. It's a very impressive looking machine, especially when it's printing. We also don't look like the average print shop, we are a large format print "studio" so it's very nice in here. I clean up regularly, but the mess can make me look really busy :p

Boudica

Yep, at least - depends on what we've got going on. I also have to vacuum the carpet and clean the toilets.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like my job. When I used to go to conventions and meetings, my name tag always had my position as "janitor".

All paper and cardboard stuff, I take home and burn it once a week. The other stuff, we have 3 huge about 50 gallon baskets on wheels and that stuff goes in the dumpster about once a week.

Boudica

This gets emptied about once a week

Attachments

• 16687147675506488859475758299268.jpg
    16687147675506488859475758299268.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 212

Stacey K

I like making signs
We have a lot of customers come visit for this very reason - to see the equipment, the set up, look at materials and options etc.. they are always impressed. It helps to have the huge Agfa Annapurna front and center in the studio when you walk in. It's a very impressive looking machine, especially when it's printing. We also don't look like the average print shop, we are a large format print "studio" so it's very nice in here. I clean up regularly, but the mess can make me look really busy :p
LOL! My Dad always told me not to keep the shop TOO clean or it looks like you aren't busy. I've never really had to worry about it being too clean LOL

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wha..... do ya put your yoke on and take it out in wind, snow, rain or ice ?? Do you sit on the stool and go through it to make sure it's trash or not ?? Kinda like Santa's naughty or nice list................

We just plop it in either burnable trash cans or just plain throwable trash for the dumpster....... and we don't need stinkin' horse to take our trash out.

Every so often, I even do a dumpster dance, where I go out there and jump around in the dumpster and crush/pack it down. I hate paying to throw away frickin' air.

Boudica

Fortunately for me, I don't have to empty the trailer, I just fill it. With any luck it's just filled with garbage and scrap - and not shame.

RabidOne

That's what I meant by sketching out a layout plan, and you pooped on me. I plan on building an enclosed office in it as soon as I can, not sure what size yet.

Has anyone else moved/set up shop and laid out an ideal floorplan? I was going to play around with it in Illustrator so I can move things around.

How much space should I designate for a vehicle bay, to keep everything not on casters out of that space?
I have done a shop layout in the past but it was the reverse, moving from a massive facility to shoehorning a print shop into a small space. Also had to be concerned about weight as this was on the main floor above an underground parking garage.
I did what you are thinking, took measurements of everything then marked up where power was and starting moving stuff around in Indesign to figure out the best configuration.

gnubler

Here's an update on my new shop, pics comparing move-in day last November and today. It's filling up fast! 1200sf. The red table gets pushed to the left side when I have rigs inside. I can accommodate up to 30ft for vehicles before having to move stuff around...everything is on casters. Considering building out an office in the back as the computer/printer room, maybe with a loft storage area. Dust is an issue, but I think that plagues every shop. This move totally saved my business, things were so bad in the old space I was ready to call it quits. Worth every penny!

After.jpg Before.jpg

Jean Shimp

I got some answers from the landlord about the commercial unit I posted about. It's a Modified Gross lease, landlord pays water/trash/landscaping, tenant pays electric/gas. Are there any questions I should ask regarding this type of lease? Property taxes? Rent is reduced $300/month if I sign a 3 yr lease.

There's one ceiling mounted gas heater, I'm going to call the utility company to see if they can estimate average utility costs. The building is new, built in 2021. They are fine with an office or shelving built within the unit, if they can see plans first.

I asked about the neighboring tenants, none of them are sign/printing related businesses. Mostly production or warehouse/storage. There's a backlit directory out on the main road with several empty slots. A slot can be rented for $250/month, which is probably why they're all empty. Seems a bit pricey, in my opinion. Is that typical? Maybe they could give me a break since I'd be making and installing my signs.

They can hold the unit for me until December 1 and give me access to move in earlier.

Thanks for all the input and encouragement, I appreciate it. I'm going to think about it over the weekend and give them an answer on Monday.
Read the lease carefully. Do you have to personally guarantee the lease or is it in your business name? Also, who pays for repairs to the unit - plumbing, HVAC, etc.? Some of the leases around here want the tenant to pay for everything - if the AC unit goes out, the tenant buys a new one. With a new building there shouldn't be many problems, just make sure you understand the terms of the lease. I think you are making a good move.

gnubler

I grilled the leasing agent with all of those questions and more, he probably thought I was a PITA but I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting in over my head. So far, so good.

Johnny Best

I always realized that leases were written to protect the owner, not the renter. And you find out the hard way when you want to get out of it. I would have a lawyer read it over before I commit to it.

gnubler

The crackhead tenant beside me has already been in and out of the bathroom six times this morning (we share a bathroom/kitchen). Toilet never flushes. Having my own personal space at the new shop is going to be like paradise!
I saw it coming...the dumpy building I moved out of eight months ago is up for sale. I got out of there just in time! Based on all the gentrification going on in my city I'm guessing it'll be torn down to make way for some more million dollar condos.

I took a look at the listing photos on a real estate site and nearly spit my drink out. What used to be my shop turned into a massage studio or something, and the crackhead next door is still at it! The pictures of his space look like tweakers went on a meth fueled rampage...junk everywhere, shredded furniture, trash. And the agent took pictures with no attempt at cleaning up, she must have been horrified.

CanuckSigns

I saw it coming...the dumpy building I moved out of eight months ago is up for sale. I got out of there just in time! Based on all the gentrification going on in my city I'm guessing it'll be torn down to make way for some more million dollar condos.

I took a look at the listing photos on a real estate site and nearly spit my drink out. What used to be my shop turned into a massage studio or something, and the crackhead next door is still at it! The pictures of his space look like tweakers went on a meth fueled rampage...junk everywhere, shredded furniture, trash. And the agent took pictures with no attempt at cleaning up, she must have been horrified.
Realtors don't feel shame like real people, it comes from years of asking for a discount on a $40 sign...