• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

One man shop growing pains

Scotchbrite

No comment
This reminds me of an 80 year old guy I had coming in for a while. He wanted to recreate a pattern used in the trunk of an old Edsel. I worked with him for quite awhile. We'd print a sample for him and he'd be back a couple of months later for another tweak. It was annoying but I also kind of have fond memories about it if I'm honest. He was a nice enough guy and paid for the samples. I don't think he ever did get the job done. It's been at least 5 years since I saw him last.

But I can't bring myself to throw away the sample piece we started with.

2022-03-25 13.01.37.jpg

Scotchbrite

No comment
Haha, every time I've posted a picture with that in the background, someone asks about it! It's basically like a giant mouse pad for the top of my desk.

2022-03-25 13.21.51.jpg

Ugh, and now I've noticed I really need to dust my desk!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
It's this old form of voice communication we call a landline. :cool:
I remember as a kid, the kitchen phone had a cord so long, you could walk through two rooms while talking on the phone. The cord would get tangled around a lot of chairs.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
A most undesired consequence of lock down was extending the phone system from the office to softphone apps on mobiles. The PoS system we've got doesn't distinguish ring tones in my old Ford, so calls come through on the way home, or at the weekend, and suddenly I'm back at work... And at the end of the week, too tired to remember to engage DnD (shouldn't it be the N that is capitalised?)

Humble PM

You pushed a button and you were speaking in their office
You can still do that on our Cisco desk phones, like you could on the old Nortel BMS. Page to phone or zone, though I'm not sure that you can still make the paged handset become hands free.

I've always kept my office and production somewhat separate from the main office, and had ownership of anything with a cable or keypad.

Humble PM

Not sure I want to do that again - once secret features become visible knowledge, the curious start finding restricted manuals, and then it becomes someone's job to lock down the systems. I seem to recall that it was possible page a hand set, with your own on mute, and initiate hands free on their end with no audible notice. But that's apparently why we now have radio mics for video work...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The cell service is complete crap at my house. I read the radiant barriers they are putting in these new homes practically blocks the signals... like living in a giant tin foil hat. I've been thinking of getting a desk phone. Our internet is 1 gig so it should have no problem running VOIP

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
The cell service is complete crap at my house. I read the radiant barriers they are putting in these new homes practically blocks the signals... like living in a giant tin foil hat. I've been thinking of getting a desk phone. Our internet is 1 gig so it should have no problem running VOIP
They have these things you hook up through wifi so your cell runs through that while you're home. Call your cell provider and tell them you don't have service at your house. It took some arguing on our end but At&t gave us one, then sprint did and now we have one from T-Mobile.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
They have these things you hook up through wifi so your cell runs through that while you're home. Call your cell provider and tell them you don't have service at your house. It took some arguing on our end but At&t gave us one, then sprint did and now we have one from T-Mobile.
It's a device? I'll call Verizon and complain and see if they have one... every 10 seconds my phone cuts out and I have to guess at what the other person said unless I want to ask them to repeat themselves constantly.

ikarasu

Are you on an android phone or a Iphone? Google Wifi calling - All the "Newer" (Last few years) phones have built in Wifi calling, and most carriers use it. When i'm at home in the basement I drop to 2 bars... so calls automatically get routed through Wifi and its cryctal clear... No device needed.

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1359697 ATT instructions for how to turn it on, but its the same for every carrier. It's not on by default because if you call 911 via wifi the only address they get is the address you supply when setting it up... so its more of an opt in feature, but works great.