• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

One man shop growing pains

gnubler

Hi Boudica - not sure if I'm really back. I've actually been considering closing the business entirely due to all the struggles, and now this new space opened up. Maybe it's a "sign"...

What was the black hole phase? Pretty sure I've been in one as well.

Am definitely losing money in my current space by not taking on particular jobs, and unable to improve my skill set without a proper place to work. I have enough money in the bank to cover the rent increase for at least a year, so I'm not just jumping into it foolishly.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
What was the black hole phase? Pretty sure I've been in one as well.
You quit showing up for band practice, so I changed my avatar from the cat with the studded collar to an image of a black hole that had me mesmerized. Now I'm all about penguins. ...

and then Gino's contribution...................
1666724429378.png

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
In business, you have to look the part. If you have a sh!t show, expect the same with the customers that show up and the prices you are able to charge.

gnubler

Totally agree. I went and looked at the space. It's been vacated and freshly cleaned, 20 foot ceiling with overhead door, I could get big rigs in there. End unit with a wall of windows and another trade business beside so I could run tools to my heart's content. And no crackheads loitering in the parking lot smoking or meth factory next door! I'm all over it. This may be a new beginning for gnubler.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Totally agree. I went and looked at the space. It's been vacated and freshly cleaned, 20 foot ceiling with overhead door, I could get big rigs in there. End unit with a wall of windows and another trade business beside so I could run tools to my heart's content. And no crackheads loitering in the parking lot smoking or meth factory next door! I'm all over it. This may be a new beginning for gnubler.
If you've done the figures (and sounds like you have), then just do it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's been a long time coming. Financially, an extra 2-3 jobs per month will pay the rent and I'll have the motivation to go out and get those jobs.
View attachment 162268

Is that after you take out utilities, insurance, taxes, material costs, waste, and other hidden costs...... or are you figuring 3 jobs at $350 a piece ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That fan might hafta go, or at least be put somewhere else. It looks lower than the garage door. Door looks to be a 12' or 14'. That's nice. Also, you're gonna need to run more electric lines. Does the place have another door ?? It's tough having people come in through the garage entrance area til they get to your office area. Some insurance policies won't allow customers in those areas at all for your safety as well as their own. See if your landlord will allow you to put a door down at the other end, since you're an end unit.

Stacey K

I like making signs
It almost looks like there's outlets 4' high about every 8' - a little hard for me to see though...

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
That looks like a space to work in!
If additional power oulets need to be fitted, would be a great time to install "paintbooth" wall lights as well.

Johnny Best

If your going to get a table saw, get a portable one to take outside to cut things to keep dust down.
Looks good. Keep the fan, if you move out the owner will want his fan reinstalled just the way he had it. You seem smart enough to make it work.