• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

One Shot Question, rolling, coating MDO, dust in finish

DStanworth

Stanworth Sign
I've coated many boards back in the day but it has been awhile. Anyway it appears there are dust specs in my finished boards.
I always keep my work area clean and use a tack cloth prior to painting.

I picked up some screens and ran the one shot thru some paper screen cones. I thin the paint just a touch with thinner and coat my board.
I then pallet my roller on some cardboard to remove the excess paint and knock down the bubbles on the wet paint.

I still have these fine dust looking specs in the paint. I can't figure this out. The screen are a medium mesh, maybe I need a fine mesh?

I appreciate any suggestions.

DStanworth

Stanworth Sign
Yes Sir.
Ya know this is making me crazy. I do sanding and routing in this room and even tho I am very clean I may need to try and paint in another room.

geb

I take application tape and put around foam roller before I paint, takes off anything on the roller itself. Hard to get speck free in my opinion unless controlled environment.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps your foam roller is leaving bubbles behind and you're not knocking them out. also, too much h paint with a farm roller can also add extra bubbles. Last, I don't know of any background paint that needs any thinning down ?? That seems like a very unnessacary step.

SignosaurusRex

Unless you are painting in an absolute dust free environment with an active air filtration system like a spray booth, you will always get microscopic particles in the finish. particles in the air will always be attracted to anything wet. Learn to live with it or get a booth. After all, " I.J.A.F.S."! ( ;-P)

visual800

My question is why are you using one shot still? Maybe switch to latex?

Using foam rollers and backrolling should alleviate all bubbles and imperfections, well that was back in the day one shot. The only thinner I ever used on one shot was urethane thinner. What thinner did you use on it?

DStanworth

Stanworth Sign
Thanks.

I keep using one shot because that is what I know. It's what I was taught 30 years ago. Latex is not going to offer that high-gloss sheen of an enamel paint.
Maybe I am wrong. Old habits die hard.

unclebun

Nothing wrong with One Shot or Bulletin Enamel from Ronan or someone. We only use latex if we want to coat a board without removing old vinyl lettering, and you never get a gloss finish from it. I was always taught to thin the paint to get the right flow and when I coat a panel, I still do it. I use a foam roller and if I want a really good finish will use a brush to smooth out and get better gloss. Dirt doesn't come from the paint unless you put it there, i.e. the manufacturer doesn't put it there. Filtering should only be necessary with paint that's been opened and then saved, and that's mainly to catch bits of skinned paint. It's what happens after you lay the paint down that is the main issue. The dirt and dust is in the air and on the ground. The fact that you sand and rout in the room is the main reason you are having problems.

DStanworth

Stanworth Sign
So after several failed attempts I figured out the problem. It's not dust. it's hundreds of micro bubbles. I'm painting in cold 50 degree temperature and not thinning my paint enough, AND, I'm putting the paint on too heavy. I'm now thinning with one shot low temp reducer and using just enough paint to barely cover the surface instead of flooding it. No more crappy boards. just thought I would follow up. I appreciate everyone's reply.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
So after several failed attempts I figured out the problem. It's not dust. it's hundreds of micro bubbles. I'm painting in cold 50 degree temperature and not thinning my paint enough, AND, I'm putting the paint on too heavy. I'm now thinning with one shot low temp reducer and using just enough paint to barely cover the surface instead of flooding it. No more crappy boards. just thought I would follow up. I appreciate everyone's reply.
Solvent pop

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When you thin your paint, you are changing the viscosity ,but more, you are changing the recipe. While making it easier to handle, you are changing how it behaves after it dries. Paint such as bulletin, lettering and some others have been chemically balanced to work the way the were mixed. Now, all you did was make it dry a little easier and runny. With a foam roller, the thinner the paint, the more bubbles. If you're using oil based paints, just use some penetrol in your paint. Not the can, but what you roll out or palette. The penetrol will retard the drying time, giving you a far more glossy finish and the flow time might almost double, so you can go back when it's almost dry and very very lightly, roll over the surface and knock all the bubbles out. If you're using latex, use floetrol and do it the same way. You'll have mirror looking finishes and they dry real hard.

In either case, roll like you're trying to push the roller through to the bottom or the other side of the substrate. You still don't wanna flood the paint on. You wanna roll it on. It will take at least 2 coats if not 3.

Johnny Best

Tipping, after you roll on your paint and you have minuscule bubbles you take a good varnish brush and ever so slightly "paint" across the surface. You will see the bubbles disappear and you will get a smooth finish. I prefer turpentine over penetrol. Penetrol has an oily base and as Gino says takes longer to dry. I just put the paint in the roller tray and coat the board really well and then use the roller which I have rolled out on the roller tray to get excess paint off roller and with really ever so lightly pressure on the foam roller go over board to get rid of bubbles.
I like the yellow foam rollers, Corona Slicker smooth finish, get those at marine paint supply stores. Home Depot use to carry gray foam roller but they are not that good and break down using oil base paint.
Also use this method of tipping with Awlgrip marine paint with brush additive thinner. Both come out like they had a sprayed on finish.