• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Only had my VersaCamm for a week, but seeing issues with Red showing as Orange.

Lunatic Taskbar

:banghead:

Have been enjoying my VersaCamm, had it for just over a week now, its a great machine. I have 18 signs to print this morning. The Reds are coming out Orange. Almost burnt orange. The files are saved as EPS. with the colour profile as RGB. I have changed the red from "red" to Pantone 1797, still burnt orange. What rookie thing am I missing.

I am on the latest version of VW
windows 7pro 64bit 4gb ram.

I am clearly missing something. so any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Any pointers or direction would be great.

Ian

player

What software are you creating the file in? (maybe try pdf export)

What material are you printing on?

What profile are you using?

Is the red a spot colour?

What model versacam?

Lunatic Taskbar

What software are you creating the file in? (maybe try pdf export)
ILLUSTRATOR CS4

What material are you printing on?
RITE MEDIA Matt

What profile are you using?
Signs & Display and Max impact, and pre-press U.S

Is the red a spot colour?
Tried as a pantone colour and as a red CMYK.

What model versacam?
sp540v

Ian

Lunatic Taskbar

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4353.jpg
    IMG_4353.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_4353.jpg
    IMG_4353.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4354.jpg
    IMG_4354.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 133

player

Rite sounds like All Graphic Surprise...

On a test print are the magenta bars magenta or orange? If they are orange, the yellow is bleeding into the red at the caps.

You have magenta in the cartridge?

Lunatic Taskbar

Yup AGS is right lol

No the test print as shown in one of the photos all 4 colours appear to be printing correctly.

Ian

EDIT: Actually just completed another test print. The magenta doesn't look quite as megentery as it should!!!

attachment.php

How do I fix that? Only had the machine for a week, so a complete newbie. :(

Attachments

• test print.jpg
    test print.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 145

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
What Rendering Intent are you using?

Since you can't seem to get to to work try this: Convert the image to a 150ppi RGB image and print that with a rendering intent of 'Perceptual'. If that produces more what you had in mind. If that works a bit better then...

Turn all Rendering Intents to "No Color Correction" except for bitmap; leave bitmap set to Perceptual.

Print a Pantone chart.

On that chart find the color you want to use, set it into your image, and print. Once again with a No Color Correction rendering intent.

Give the finger to the button men of the profilistas.

Lunatic Taskbar

Thanks Bob, looks like the test print isn't quite a great as I thought. The magenta seems to be more Orange. Now need to figure out how to fix that!

ian

player

To fix the yellow into the red:

Replace captops. The sponge gets swollen and then touches the head, causing the ink to get sucked up.

Check the amounts of ink in the cartridges. (220 or 440?) If one is really full and the other is empty, it can help make the problem. Turn off both powers before pulling the carts, and put them back in before turning on to keep the ink remaining accurate.

Check machine level

To get back to red ASAP:

Clamp the black/blue captop line before the pump. (this will save ink.)

Run medium clean, test print, medium clean etc. until magenta line is cleaned.

Or make a file with pure magenta and print until ink is magenta. You can print over the same area to save vinyl.

You can also use a syringe to suck ink from the magenta/yellow captop when head is docked. This can be risky if you suck too hard you can ruin the heads.

Yup AGS is right lol

No the test print as shown in one of the photos all 4 colours appear to be printing correctly.

Ian

EDIT: Actually just completed another test print. The magenta doesn't look quite as megentery as it should!!!

attachment.php

How do I fix that? Only had the machine for a week, so a complete newbie. :(

Definitely had cross-contamination going on with head number two (Magenta - Yellow). It will almost certainly come back after a period of non-print inactivity.

I would suggest:

1. Replace the dampers for Magenta and Yellow.
2. Replace the cap top for head #2

If you are doing those steps, I would then recommend swapping out all four dampers and both cap tops. This will ensure that you are good to go for the next year or thereabouts.

Lunatic Taskbar

May have spoken too soon... :(

Looks like I have "splashes" appearing almost in a line.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Any thoughts?

Ian

Attachments

• splash 2.jpg
    splash 2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 141
  • splash 3.jpg
    splash 3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 155
  • splash 1.jpg
    splash 1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 161

Lunatic Taskbar

Definitely had cross-contamination going on with head number two (Magenta - Yellow). It will almost certainly come back after a period of non-print inactivity.

I would suggest:

1. Replace the dampers for Magenta and Yellow.
2. Replace the cap top for head #2

If you are doing those steps, I would then recommend swapping out all four dampers and both cap tops. This will ensure that you are good to go for the next year or thereabouts.

Many thanks. Everything (EVERYTHING) was changed a week ago. I have only had this for a week, from a supplier, who renewed everything. (or at least that what I was told).

Ian

Lunatic Taskbar

re-cleaned everything again. and all is good the machine is no longer bleeding all over my prints. Phew what a morning. lol all is good now.

player

For the dribbling, you may have a cracked manifold, but it is probably just from all the cleaning you did...

I would do a manual clean, then print some bars of solid colour and see if it corrects itself.

I would not trust that everything was what THEY told you. Not to be trusted in my opinion.