• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx 12.2 - applying image bleed and overlap, what is the correct order of procedure?

Precision

When discussing with our production assistant, why we always set up bleed in Illustrator, or Corel, rather than using Onyx to do this. It seems that when tiling a wall in onyx 12.2, we go into job editor, make sure the image is to size, then go to tiling setup, enable tiling, enable overlap (whatever the job may require), then enable print as separate jobs, everything tiles perfectly, and the measurements seem great. Once you add image bleed, even when just selecting the edges you need bleed on, it seems to add bleed to all of the tiles, rather than just the outside edges of the wrap itself.

Is there an order, or method that this should be done in, so you can add bleed to the outside of the wrap edges, and still apply a 1" overlap, and still run as separate jobs?

Also, when adding bleed, the "mirror image bleed" tab works correctly, but when using "duplication" as the bleed setting, it seems to pull a white line on either side of the graphic into the print, anyone have any experience with what causes this, and how to fix?

If we could understand this better, it would save a huge amount of time, manipulating artwork to add bleed, prior to printing. I have tried to find an operating manual that thoroughly explains Onyx's controls and settings, but have not been successful in doing so. I appreciate any help or advice, life experiences that any of you have with this in Onyx 12.2. We use Onyx 12.2 with our Latex 360, and usually design is either Corel, or Illustrator.

I appreciate all your comments and help.

Have a wonderful day, and a Happy and Safe 4th of July!

Thank you,

rjssigns

Too much thinking. We just did a beer trailer and per the installers directions added 2" to the height/width then set equal panels in Flexi with 0.300" overlap both sides.
Installer was standing over my shoulder as I asked how he would like it set up.
Only think we would change is set the overlap to 0.500"

Precision

Too much thinking. We just did a beer trailer and per the installers directions added 2" to the height/width then set equal panels in Flexi with 0.300" overlap both sides.
Installer was standing over my shoulder as I asked how he would like it set up.
Only think we would change is set the overlap to 0.500"
Thing is when I set the bleed, and then the overlap, it is adding the bleed to the overlap areas also. This is in Onyx, as we are not familiar with Flexi.

When we set the bleed and overlap, and do not select the "submit tiles as separate jobs" button, everything panels correctly. However, when you select "submit tiles as separate jobs" button, it adds the bleed to all panels.

In essence we should just not select that and print, however, sometimes these walls can be quite long and we need to print other items in between running these.

I appreciate your help.

When using submit tiles as separate jobs, Onyx always applies any bleed settings to every tile individually. There's even a warning about this on the bleed tab in job editor if you have the separate jobs box checked. If you need separate jobs and bleed the only way around this is to add the bleed in illustrator/corel before you bring it into onyx.

Also, when adding bleed, the "mirror image bleed" tab works correctly, but when using "duplication" as the bleed setting, it seems to pull a white line on either side of the graphic into the print, anyone have any experience with what causes this, and how to fix?

The duplication setting takes the row of pixels at the very edge of your image and copies it out however much your bleed is. If part of your graphics didn't quite make it to the edge of the artboard you could have a single row of white pixels there that the duplication bleed is grabbing. Gotta make sure all the graphics go to or past the artboard edge or the bleeds in onyx won't look good.

rjssigns

YwH
Thing is when I set the bleed, and then the overlap, it is adding the bleed to the overlap areas also. This is in Onyx, as we are not familiar with Flexi.

When we set the bleed and overlap, and do not select the "submit tiles as separate jobs" button, everything panels correctly. However, when you select "submit tiles as separate jobs" button, it adds the bleed to all panels.

In essence we should just not select that and print, however, sometimes these walls can be quite long and we need to print other items in between running these.

I appreciate your help.
Onyx is trying to "help" but just adds confusion. On the beer trailer I enlarged the graphic by an inch all around then sent it to Flexi. There I just clicked even number of panels, 0.300" overlap both sides and that was it.

CanuckSigns

We always submit tiles as separate jobs, that way if 1 panel needs to be reprinted it is easy to do, I don't think it's even possible to reprint a single panel otherwise.

I generally will make sure the overall size has bleed before I bring it into onyx, so if I'm printing a 10'x20' wall, I will make the graphic 122x242 then bring it into onyx, but depending on the design, you can usually just increase the overall size in onyx, in which case your order is:
- import file
-increase overall size by 2" or whatever you want
- enable tiling, output tiles as separate jobs
- set overlap
-set number of tiles needed
- print

balstestrat

Problem Solver
We always submit tiles as separate jobs, that way if 1 panel needs to be reprinted it is easy to do, I don't think it's even possible to reprint a single panel otherwise.

I generally will make sure the overall size has bleed before I bring it into onyx, so if I'm printing a 10'x20' wall, I will make the graphic 122x242 then bring it into onyx, but depending on the design, you can usually just increase the overall size in onyx, in which case your order is:
- import file
-increase overall size by 2" or whatever you want
- enable tiling, output tiles as separate jobs
- set overlap
-set number of tiles needed
- print
You can open the job and disable other tiles, keep the one you reprint. I think its possible this way but maybe I'm missing something.

Precision

Everyone has really been super helpful and I get it. Just needed some direction. It helps me understand why our old designer/production assistant preferred to build it in.

It's a must if you want and need seperate the panels. Today we ran a box truck without selecting "run as seperate jobs tab. Everything printed just like I'd wished.

Also, the white lines that appear when making sure the color covers any art board, and that fixes that. Did that today as well.

I appreciate all the comments and helped, learned a lot, which saves not only vinyl, but aggravation on the installers.

Awesome. Thanks!

Hope you all have a fantastic holiday, Happy 4th!