• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx 22 / Thrive wont auto rotate when nesting?

Chichia96

I just upgraded from onyx poster shop 12 to onyx thrive 22 / go (I got a free year of it with the purchase of my hp latex 800w) and I’m running into a really annoying issue. I’m not sure if it’s due to a present I don’t have right or if they needed the feature but; when I import multiple files into Onyx, it won’t auto rotate them, so that they fit best and conserve the most media when printing. I’ve got best fit and allow rotate checked in my placement settings but still it won’t even rotate something that is landscape 100 inches wide by 45 inches tall so that it fits on the media it just says that it doesn’t fit and I have to manually rotate it 90°.
Onyx 12 did it automatically upon import and I didn’t have to spend so much time manually rotating things so that they didn’t waste a bunch of media. Is it a feature they got rid of with 22 or am I missing something?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Yeah best fit doesn't do what you think it does. I don't think there is a way to go back what you had. So you will just going to have to live with manual adjustment now.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Pretty sure this is a bug with onyx 22 or 22.5.
Because i have the same issue. just need to manually rotate the jobs. annoying but the way onyx goes about their updates. i wouldn't hold my breath of it getting fixed till x24. (which is suppose to be a sizable update)

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
I have the same issue and had it with 19 also. Onyx seems to have a few more bugs than it had in the past. I was hoping upgrading to 22 would solve some, but it hasn't.

Andrew Heiner

Yea its crap. Today put 60 different sized canvases to print and had to rotate them all manually. Still wasted quite a bit of material after trying to get them to fit.
I was thinking this was one of the top selling points... but from 19 on it has never worked.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Couple of things with Auto Rotate
First: Make sure that your quickset has "Process to allow rotation during print state." is checked (Edit Quickset/Advanced/Print/Output)
Second: This only works if your resolutions are even such as, 600x600, 1440x1440, etc.
For example, on our Colorado 1650, this works on Quality Mode since it's 600x600 but if you switch to production it changes the resolution to 450x600 and therefore doesn't work.
This has never worked on our flatbed since they have always been 480x1200, 540x1200, 630x1200, & 720x1200. Its relative to the speed of the carriage and how many dots it can lay down as it move across the media.

One bummer thing about the Colorado M that we found out after we go it is that they got rid of the 600x600 resolution and run everything in 450x600 and now the Auto Rotate no longer works.

Hope this helps

guillermo

on top of that, when you crop an image and then rotate it, the file will change, it will give you some white margins on top and right sides.

I've had the same issue with the different versions of Onyx, I upgraded to the latest version and it seemed to fix it but then I had other issues and had to revert back to the previous. Ugh.

Chichia96

I've had the same issue with the different versions of Onyx, I upgraded to the latest version and it seemed to fix it but then I had other issues and had to revert back to the previous. Ugh.
Oh really? What version are you on right now that will rotate while nesting? I’m on 22.5 and it doesn’t.

ONYXtechtips

I just upgraded from onyx poster shop 12 to onyx thrive 22 / go (I got a free year of it with the purchase of my hp latex 800w) and I’m running into a really annoying issue. I’m not sure if it’s due to a present I don’t have right or if they needed the feature but; when I import multiple files into Onyx, it won’t auto rotate them, so that they fit best and conserve the most media when printing. I’ve got best fit and allow rotate checked in my placement settings but still it won’t even rotate something that is landscape 100 inches wide by 45 inches tall so that it fits on the media it just says that it doesn’t fit and I have to manually rotate it 90°.
Onyx 12 did it automatically upon import and I didn’t have to spend so much time manually rotating things so that they didn’t waste a bunch of media. Is it a feature they got rid of with 22 or am I missing something?
In the placement settings on the right hand side of the RIP Queue, select Conserve Media and then click the little gear to adjust the options. In the options, select "Best Fit" and "Allow Rotate". It should automatically adjust your nest so that you would not need to go into job settings for each print job.

1707843053853.png

Chichia96

In the placement settings on the right hand side of the RIP Queue, select Conserve Media and then click the little gear to adjust the options. In the options, select "Best Fit" and "Allow Rotate". It should automatically adjust your nest so that you would not need to go into job settings for each print job.

View attachment 169627
Yes I have that all checked and set and it still doesn’t work

ONYXtechtips

Here are my settings. This is a multipage PDF with 3 full sized banners in a landscape format at 96x36. I set the media width to 54", conserve media, and best fit with allow rotate. If I were to rotate the image in job editor, the preview image would also be rotated. Would you be able to confirm your settings compared to this?
1707843573337.png

Attachments

• 1707843556693.png
    1707843556693.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 47

ONYXtechtips

Grizzly makes a great point about vertical vs horizontal resolutions as well. If they are different, the system would need to reinterpret the file to determine the number of dots on the swapped resolutions. Have you ever noticed when rotating a file in Job Editor that the "Waiting for Preview" text is distorted? It is due to the resolutions set in the rotation. For instance, if the resolution is 360x360, it is a square rotation and no distortion. If the resolution is 360x720, the 720 is distorted to fit the 360 dimension during rotation and thus needs to reprocess.

Chichia96

Here are my settings. This is a multipage PDF with 3 full sized banners in a landscape format at 96x36. I set the media width to 54", conserve media, and best fit with allow rotate. If I were to rotate the image in job editor, the preview image would also be rotated. Would you be able to confirm your settings compared to this?
View attachment 169629
Here you go:
View attachment 169629
Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 11.25.58 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 11.25.51 AM.png