• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx - Kiss/CutContour order

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I don't really have trouble with the order of the cuts in the actual cut file. I get pretty deep into the details of how my paths are created and tweaked. The issue is more in the RIP software when there's two distinct cut styles called out, like Kiss and CutContour. They aren't cutting in the expected order, no matter how I arrange things. I solved this by using two custom prefixes instead. I think CutContour is a bit of a hardwired default, so it can be harder to manipulate it.
Wait up... for me Kiss cut and CutContour are the same thing. My CutContour layer is my kiss cut layer.

Saturn

Aging Member
Wait up... for me Kiss cut and CutContour are the same thing. My CutContour layer is my kiss cut layer.

Yeah, I think that might be why your way works. ;p

99% of what I do is just a single through cut of all my stickers, and I use the CutContour prefix for my setup in Illustrator and the RIP. So when I wanted to do a sheet that had kiss cuts on it, it seemed obvious to me to use the default Kiss prefix for the peel-out "top" little elements, and keep using CutContour to do the final "die-cut." Problem was, CutContour always wanted to cut first. Way around that was eventually just to create two new custom prefixes that had no relation to any of the default choice. Like (ABC) and (XYZ).

Boudica: Going back over things, I AM going to try your reordering thing in Cut Server. The reason I don't have the option is because I have my Cut Server to Automatically Cut Files to a folder, so they are never in Cut Server for more than a split second. If I uncheck auto-cut I think they'll hang out in the queue and I can pop open their individual settings and do what you described in your first post—reordering the cut layers.

A lot of the issues I think we're all having is just because we use different definitions to do the same thing, but I appreciate all the help thinking about things. :)

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Soooo, this is interesting. I'm doing some print/kiss/perf cut labels, and I forgot to move the FLEX_CUT layer down in CutServer. I had a "doh!" moment, then realized it's cutting the layers in the order I want them to cut. Hmmm.

Saturn

Aging Member
Soooo, this is interesting. I'm doing some print/kiss/perf cut labels, and I forgot to move the FLEX_CUT layer down in CutServer. I had a "doh!" moment, then realized it's cutting the layers in the order I want them to cut. Hmmm.

In this case I would guess that FlexCut is unique enough that the RIP or the cutter know that it should be last. ?

Every other cut depends only on matching the name to the path in the file—What their actual name is doesn't matter. Whereas FlexCut has hardwired settings that are adjustable in the RIP and on the cutter.