• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Onyx X22

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Onyx X22 has been announced.
Quite a bit of an update it seems.

It seems to be more about automation with this update.

Im excited for smart job submissions, allowing onyx to get details from file name.
& hopefully improved fotoba marks from x21.1

Youtube link:

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Looks like they might have some nice features! Bummer my 3 year contract expired 2 days ago.
One thing though. SIMPLIFY.....THE.......PRINT VIDEO......PROCESS o_O That was a little busy.

ikarasu

Looks like it finally got released today... Going to install now, Hopefully it fixes the FC9000 glitches!

Looks like 19 and below is now legacy.... They said once 22 is released you can no longer get drivers for 19 and below. Nice of them to release that tidbit of info concurrently with the 22 release instead of giving people time to d/l drivers. If you're on 19 or below, time to make backups of your print installs!

ikarasu

Loving it so far - It's a busy work day so I havent got to test much besides ripping... but I love that we can finally drop and drag into onyx. It makes finding random stuff to reprint so much easier.

Neat how you can select a preset then drop and drag to a window and it'll use that pre-set. Just that feature alone was worth the upgrade to me!

Havent tested anything else out yet... but so far so good.

ikarasu

I have a weird workflow. There was a time in onyx 12 where you could drop and drag... They issued a quick patch because it broke some functionality... I was so disappointed!

I'm very anal-retentive on my file storage... Mainly because I have so many backups, so finding stuff in an organized way is important to me.

I date stuff by year, then by customer - so I'll be in illustrator or photoshop setting up crops... Save it in the 2022 / Annoyingcustomername \ Job Number - Description of job\ Customer name - Job # - Description.pdf. Then I usually take that file and throw it into a printer 2022 / june / folder... which ends up having 500 files by the end of the month. With drag and drop... I can hit save in illustrator... then use the same save as box to just drop and drag it into onyx without having to change folders, or make another copy of the file into a printer folder.

Like you said... it's the little things! It's one less step for every single file... so it adds up. I'm also a computer guy - so the fact that we couldn't, when it should be something so basic to do bugged me. Web forms have added drag to drop vs manually selecting files for years now... I've spent a good 5-7K on onyx over the years, it should do more than a freebie web form. It's never been a deal breaker for me, but I'm glad its available - Now lets hope they dont claw it away from me like last time!

ikarasu

Another stupidly simple, QOL improvement -

If you click on the info tab for printers... it'll tell you the IP address of the printer right in that box now. No having to goto configure printer, waiting for all your queues to be shut down just to find the IP Address of the machine.

At work We have 3 Latex, 2 solvent and a flatbed running. They all have Static IP addresses... and I pretty much know which is which, but god damn, the one time I'm having a brain fart and actually need to go into a printers web settings, I'm in the mid of a 2 hour print and have to goto the printer and sift through 100 submenus to find it. Again...another small QOL improvement thats small, but big in certain ways!

I havent played with it much still. My work PC's onyx advantage expired, so they dont get a free upgrade... I only have it on my home machine, and my machine is getting packaged up since I sold it...so I cant play with it too much until my R5070 arrives :(

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
We just upgraded.
The drag and drop is a very welcome process.
the new file name automation is going to be great to use also.

Not happy with the fotoba marks though. same old rubbish.
It still wont let us nest images with no gap. defaults to 4mm even when set to zero.
Anyone who runs an XY cutter will know my frustrations.

tomasimattia

I point out that using the strategy to save support the crop marks are not rotated and after the 22.0.2 patch the rotation does not work, for me still immature as a product, 21.1.1 is more stable

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Just something that I noticed. If you have a Summa F and you update to 22.0.2 now it only supports GoProduce. So don't update if you are using the old software.

ikarasu

Every version has glitches. I pointed out a glitch since onyx 12... And it's still not fixed.

I finally found out why my queue had "tearing" in it when looking through the preview window though... Onyx does not like 4K And scaling at 150%, which is windows default. I changed it to 145% And now my Preview tearing is gone :roflmao:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Every version has glitches. I pointed out a glitch since onyx 12... And it's still not fixed.

I finally found out why my queue had "tearing" in it when looking through the preview window though... Onyx does not like 4K And scaling at 150%, which is windows default. I changed it to 145% And now my Preview tearing is gone :roflmao:

Is this when it only shows up half the preview?
mine will go grey halfway though.
i hae a 1440p ultrawide so scaling is 100%. can't change that :(

Onyx has all sorts of bugs. I tell them all the time.