• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Open-Source Inkjet Printer Project

Would you have any interest in an open-source printer ecosystem?

• Total voters

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
After doing lots of homework on the hundreds of dirt-cheap Chinese DTF, solvent and UV printers flooding the market, I figured there had to be some basic ecosystem to them. Most of these printers are based on commodity parts, off-the shelf printheads and tend to share a vast array of parts.

Since Epson launched the i3200/i1600 heads and started selling them to other integrators, heads like the DX4, DX5 and DX7s seem to be on the way out. i3200's seem to retail in the low $700-900 range for the 4-channel variants and have both a large path and great DPI/nozzle count. The heads come in UV, aqueous and eco-solvent variations, as well as 8-channel versions, so there are a lot of options.

All in one control boards are also pretty prevalent and can control anywhere from a single head, to 16 or even more. These boards typically use a fiber optic network cable to link to the slider board that actually controls the board, so data connections are absolutely dirt cheap and can pass an insane amount of bandwidth. Mimaki EPL/slider boards use a similar configuration as well. Firmware is passable, but translations are kind of dodgy on a good day, but that is something that can be fixed Depending on the capability of the board, they can run around $70-$1200.

Slider boards are typically slotted with driver boards that actually run the piezo heads, usually at 42 volts and a pretty hefty current. This allows for replacement of much cheaper driver boards if one blows up, as well as makes reverse engineering them much easier. Should there be a need to modify boards, this comes in pretty handy. A typical dual (4-channel) i3200 slider runs on a single fiber link, a four head board will run dual fiber link, and so on. Complete with drivers, these can be purchased for roughly $120-150 per head. Since data is run over fiber, the cable chain just needs ink lines, fiber and power, resulting in a decently compact harness or umbilical without the need for flat flex cables.

Motors, power supplies, drivers, encoders and the like are all off-the-shelf items, so no real engineering there. Printer frames can be sourced from dead printers with a retrofit head carriage, new capping station and custom board mounts where needed. Ink can be handled with some basic pour-in tanks, with circulators if needed. Flatbed printers are also an option, since the motors don't care if they're moving a roll of media, or driving across a flatbed if the encoder knows how many steps it needs to go per millimeter or whatever. Lots of this stuff can easily transfer over from systems like 3D printers if need, which can help a ton for things like customizing firmware.

Software is going to be the real trick on this project, most Chinese RIP software sucks. As insane as it is, we want to keep it free and open source as well, to allow it to be modified as needed and built on. With good driver support, can do some pretty basic layout and RIP work just through the print service of most operating systems. With proper profiles and such, wouldn't be crazy hard for commercial RIP to support such a printer as well.

Currently talking to some Chinese suppliers of the printer kits to see what all they can offer in the way of hardware, firmware and such. Seems like it'll definitely be a project that takes time, but a good portion of the work is already done. Just lots of customization ahead, as well as a concerted effort to make things modular and easy for advanced end-users to play with.

cornholio

What should be the goal of this project? Do you want to get something printed in the end, or just burn your money and time??? (One of my hobbies is homebrewing of beer, but it would be cheaper (not better) to buy it, where I live.)
I''m also a radio amateur and do some electronics tinkering and microcontroller programming.
My spare time is taken care of...

Smoke_Jaguar

We mix specialty inks, so we're building a test printer for that amongst other things. We also have a big stash of heads we might turn into a big flatbed UV printer for doing things like signage and such. Mostly just wanting to open the tech more to tinkerers more than anything else.

netsol

What should be the goal of this project? Do you want to get something printed in the end, or just burn your money and time??? (One of my hobbies is homebrewing of beer, but it would be cheaper (not better) to buy it, where I live.)
I''m also a radio amateur and do some electronics tinkering and microcontroller programming.
My spare time is taken care of...
i think the goal of the project should be to allow us to modify as well as build a printer more to our liking KIND OF like what Bob from BOBS CNC (just an example) has done for the cnc industry. in truth the printhead manufacturers has provided Mutoh, Mimaki & Roland with "kits" (print head and a matching board set) for years. that is why roland techs have that "i have been here before" feeling when the touch their first mutoh...

we have made many modifications to our existing equipment. Dave callender sold me a solvent inkjet conversion kit back in 2016.
I printed for quite a while with an ANCIENT ROLAND PC600 on sintra, (i knew it well from my old citizen printiva & alps printers, using the same cartridges). until fairly recently (2 years) i printed on styrene from my sc545-ex until i realized that everytime someone other than me used it it caused a head strike.

OK, these are just cheap modifications and "parlor tricks" (nothing on the scale of what smoke jaguar suggests) but it shows some of the things that can be done. 5-6 years ago, i watched a "the profit" tv show where a "sign business" had modified an HP i believe to rotary print on baseball bats. my point is, there is so much repetition in this inkjet technology WE SHOULD be doing what the CNC people are doing. (adding laser positioning, for large format print & cut, adding rotary adapters, modifying for 5 axis cutting.

smoke jaguar makes me realize i have not been keeping up, i am a novice regarding the newer printhead technologies. i have never touched an i3200 head.

netsol

the possibilites for custom inksets as well as obscure chemistries (flexisign 21 says you can make custom inksets), i have not had a chance to even see
what they mean by that, but, as soon as the wife is out of hospital & life goes back to normal...

i have seen people buy old gerber sabre's and convert to using arduno boards (this makes no sense to me, it would be like putting a chevy engine in my vintage jaguar, but, to each his own. i don't see why an older roland print & cut couldn't be converted to 8 ink channels (white printing <good or bad> fluorescent inks, etc)

Smoke_Jaguar

Being able to design a flatbed, conveyor, roll, jig or press style printer that can be built from a kit or pre-built for well under half the cost of existing printers while still getting modern hardware would be pretty powerful. Also, the things you don't get would be nice. Set the ink channels up as you like them, no messing with ink DRM, forced updates, arbitrary restrictions or unlocking features you own for extra money. Alse being able to access parts easily will be nice and less mark-up. Lots of printer vendors add a substantial markup on most parts, in some cases, 50%+.

Most of the stuff has been figured out over the past couple of decades, roll printers are ridiculously similar. Width is also a big racket. An extra 20 inches of linear rail, platen and rods costs a few grand. The movement control are easy, but the massive amount of data used when you're controlling 16 channels or more of ink flow at 2400 DPI is insane, but already figured out, commoditized and cheap. Now to just put it all together in one place.

dreko

For me, the goal would be to have the open source printer allow 2 variants:

1. 12 - 16 color channels/heads. Bulk ink system. This would allow more primaries and a larger color gamut. Roll printer is fine, as this system would take fine art papers and photographic papers. Width of 64" to 74" sheet or roll material. Aqueous pigments, dyes, clear, white ink, metallics... all in 1 printer. Maybe 1 head dedicated to pigments/dyes and another head dedicated to EcoUv gel or sepiax inks...UV light and heater options.

2. Same as above, but for UV inks. Roll printer with feature to return print back to origin. Long rolls of material so unattended printing can take place. Adjustable height platen gap to allow for thicker materials and/or thick dimensional texture ink relief. Elevation printing.

-take up reel

-Reaching out to a RIP manufacturer (as this is based on the Epson head) would be good... RIP could be somewhat barebones and easy. I think the magic here is the hardware, versatile print head for variety of inks, ease of maintenance/repair, & possibility to keep building to the template system.

cornholio

I wish you luck.
There is the whole Flora kits, if you don't want to start with zero. (Especially in the flatbed area, there are many products made with these kits)
I think Epson keeps some of it's secrets to themselves... especially since the started their surecolor series.
Their print quality has allways been better, than what Roland, Mimaki or Mutoh achieve.

My guess is, that you will get no information at all from Epson, as hobbyists.
You can try to reverse engineer the driving waveforms for the different frequencies inks and drop sizes.

In a modern inkjet printer, there is a bit more to it, than in a 3axis router.

Smoke_Jaguar

The i3200 heads are offered to aftermarket suppliers and are way better and far cheaper than the clunky old DX7 stuff. Epson absolutely keeps their best heads to themselves, but they are finally releasing modern heads again.

netsol

The i3200 heads are offered to aftermarket suppliers and are way better and far cheaper than the clunky old DX7 stuff. Epson absolutely keeps their best heads to themselves, but they are finally releasing modern heads again.
CLUNKY OLD DX7 STUFF?

we still probably have 3 dx2 machines in the shop...

as well as a bunch of newer stuff

dreko

The i3200 is only a 600 dpi resolution. Way too low these days... and the price is almost the same as 7900/9000 print head. @
  • Resolution: 2880 x 1440 dpi, 1440 x 1440 dpi, 1440 x 720 dpi, 720 x 720 dpi, 720 x 360 dpi, 360 x 360 dpi

i3200 head: The I3200 printhead has three models such as I3200-A1(used for DTF); I3200-E1 and I3200-U1. They can be used with water-based ink, eco solvent ink, solvent ink, sublimation ink, UV ink, pigment ink. It is very versatile and widely used. Lifespan: 1-3 years.

Last edited:

Smoke_Jaguar

The TFP heads are higher DPI, but Epson seems to be keeping those for their own in-house stuff. Obviously, more DPI is usually achieved by multi-scanning the print or dedicating multiple channels per color, and we're not likely to see any real increase in DPI past the TFP unless we start figuring out some new craziness in micro-fluid-dynamics. A typical cheap 4900 series TFP head is in the $900-1200 range, and one for the 7900/9900 is well into the $2k territory.

As for lifespan, 1-3 years is about right. This can vary VASTLY based on maintenance, operating environment, usage, ink properties and so on. And yeah, the A (aqueous), (E) eco-solvent and (U) variants are slightly modified for the properties of those types of ink.

As for different heads, finding some nice universal driver boards for some of the Toshiba CE/CF series heads as well. These are common in Mimaki's UJF series printers and are in the 150DPI range, but built like tanks and have built in collision guards. Also, drivers for the Ricoh Gen5/6 heads are quite common, great heads for thicker UV/DTG inks. These heads also support in-head circulation, unlike Epson's heads.

btxmedia

Starting from a existing frame/carriage kit would be really nice rather than having to scavange out those parts and every build be different. This goes beyond building a laser engraver or 3d printer frame from 80/20 extrusions! Even having a base model Chinese kit thats designed for the firmware and heads to be build out would be good.

Adding space on the X dimension would be nice to bypass Mimaki wanting $10,000 per foot extra on the 3042/6042s there.

I wouldn't expect it to have all the bells and whistles either - just stable printing and being able to try out speciality inks, and a common system handling UV or solvent driving a roll or flatbed.

dreko

So.... how does the Open Source progress begin?

Who is going to spearhead this project?

A fun topic to discuss... I've been waiting for the Open Source printer for well over 2 decades...

Smoke_Jaguar

Right now I am sourcing commodity head control boards and firmware for them. Hope to be able to have a conversion system ready for testing by July.