• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Open-Type fonts

mark in tx

Chuck,
Thanks for answering peoples questions and addressing their concerns.
Y'all make great fonts, and I understand why you want to protect them.
Striking a balance between what your customers want and protecting yourself is difficult at best and you'll never get 100% happiness on both sides.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Where are the files?
Where the files are placed and the names of those files are inconsequential to the operation of the fonts. I don't know where CorelDraw places the files it uses on my system. Nor do I worry about it. I have more important things to do. I use the program and I'm happy. But assuming I was concerned about that sort of thing (and Corel wouldn't tell me)-- I wouldn't purchase CorelDraw. That's my right as a consumer.

While the files may be inconsequential to the operation of the fonts, they are not such when managing my systems. I know where everything is, including Corel files. It really doesn't matter why I want to know this, only that I want to.

What about DVD's?
Protecting the fonts is much like protecting DVD's from being copied. When I purchase a DVD, I understand beforehand that I will not be able to copy the DVD. I also understand that protection is not directed at me because I don't copy DVD's. So I don't take it personally. I just accept the fact that the studios must protect their work in order to continue making new DVD's.

We're not talking about DVDs here, we're talking about ones and zeros that live on my property and consume my real estate. It is not necessary to make a copy of a DVD to use it. It is necessary to make a copy of a font file in order to use it. Not even close to the same thing.

Personally speaking
I'm sure you are a great guy and an honest customer. But do you also take it personally when they check you bags before you board a plane? ("Hey! This is an outrage! You're not trusting your customers!") Or how about when you leave a store and they check you receipt and bags? ("I'm never shopping here again! You're treating me like a criminal!") I would bet not. You understand that these checks are in place because there are people less honest than yourself.

I don't fly. I refuse to subject myself to airport security. If I can't get there some other way, I don't go. I do take it personally.

I deal at a higher class of merchants than those with blazer-clad drones attempting to examine my purchases and documentation upon exiting the premises. On the rare occasions that I have patronized such an establishment the previously mentioned functionary was told 'No' when it asked to scrutinize my purchases and documentation. I do not permit such damnfoolishness. Ever. If they want to press the issue they'll find themselves ass deep in a lawsuit in which I and an army of scum sucking lawyers will become wealthy.

I feel so strongly about this that if asked if I have a receipt and I say 'Yes", from that point on I will generally refuse to display that receipt if subsequently asked to do so merely to verify its presence. They asked and I answered, that is sufficient.

In an imperfect world, allowances and compromises must be made. My job is to strike the balance-- making it easy to use the fonts, and yet still protect them. I'm sorry that you feel the way you do. Should you reconsider and decide to purchase from us again-- I welcome you back... we'll treat you right.

Better to accommodate some pilferage than inconvenience your customers. How much, actually, not potentially but actually, do you loose due to whatever it is you're trying to avoid? When I was involved in the business we determined that for the most part those that traffic in bootleg bits wouldn't pay for them if they couldn't hijack them. They are not and never were potential customers. In fact, it was determined that some amount of hijacking actually increased sales. Apparently due to expanded exposure of the product. Even if that was not the case, limiting sales via draconian security measures was worse than any incidental piracy.

There is Yet Another consideration...What happens to someone who makes an investment in your product and then you fold for whatever reason? Are you putting the bits into escrow against this possibility? If not, why not? Your protection scheme requires your presence. What arrangements have you made for your absence?

gROUND cHUCK

I haven't read all of the posts to see if this was answered, but I'll put my $0.02.

You should be able to convert the fonts you want with the program "Crossfont" or Fontlab's TransType-Pro".

If the OTF font has the ttf icon then you can convert them to ttf, but if the icon is the OTF icon, then you want to convert them to post script fonts.

Read over these sites to get a better understanding of how fonts work...

http://www.truetype-typography.com/articles/ttvst1.htm

http://www.myfonts.com/info/opentype-flavors-ps-tt/

Techman

If the OTF font has the ttf icon then you can convert them to ttf, but if the icon is the OTF icon, then you want to convert them to post script fonts.
Good info.

However, You cannot do anything with the LH fonts because you can't even find them. I wonder how pissed someone would be would be if for some reason any reason they got that "Font not found" nag and that file fails to open correctly.
A file that uses that new font configuration?

Replicator

The ONLY or Part of a font I have not been able to convert using any software
has been a FON file which would be used by ANA . . . No luck !