• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Opinion on purchasing a Mimaki CJV150-75 with expired cartridges

vortexblue

I was shopping for a BN-20a, then came across a CJV150-75. I do laser and vinyl cutting, this will be my first solvent printer.

I went to see the machine:
-it was plugged in
-there was no cleaning cartridge installed.
-all 8 of the ss21 ink expired in December
-I powered it up and it found the vinyl right away.
-it cannot print a test print (presumably due to the expired cartridges)
-the last nozzle test print that was done (presumably at install) looked excellent
-USAGE report; wiping 56, waste 45%, print length m/ft 10(!), print area m2/ft 10, use time 213h
-Version; CJV150-75 v4.0, MRL-IV 1.6, main pcb EPL3B
-I went through the error codes and I saw a 658 NCU sensor low, and a 651 replace ncu. All the rest were ink related.

The owner explains that it was installed and not used, and it sat there plugged in. The records seem to confirm.

The chances of this head being clogged are high, right?
If I'm looking at ~$1100 for 9 cartridges of ink and cleaner, what would the ballpark cost be for a head install?

Are there other 'just siting' issues I need to be aware of?

What's the best way to move this? Boxtruck with liftgate?

Thanks for any help!

vortexblue

IMG_1976.JPEG

Attachments

• 4228190C-7321-45CD-956B-DEB6957F02E0.jpeg
    4228190C-7321-45CD-956B-DEB6957F02E0.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

APCInk

Merchant Member
Mimaki machines usually allow the inks to run for 2 months after expiration, so in reality, the machine was probably doing auto cleanings until February - of course that is still 5+ months without cleanings, so yes, the head is likely pretty dried up.

If you really want to see what state it is in, I could DM you (or the seller) instructions to wind the date back so it will at least allow the machine to function, run some cleanings, etc. In my experience, solvent ink of that small amount past expiration is not really a concern.

It is most likely that the machine will need a head, which would run you about $3200 for the original Mimaki one (comes with 90 day warranty if installed by an authorized tech). Dampers will be OK if they’re still entirely filled with ink. Cap probably OK.

Current price on this machine in US right now and s $8495 (plus freight and install), so you definitely want to make sure you’re getting it relatively cheap if you have to drop a head in it.

If you do buy it, yes truck with lift-gate is the easiest but as it’s a small machine, with a couple of helpers pretty it’s easy to pick up. The low-floor Uhaul 10’ Box Trucks are and easy way to move these. Leave the cartrides in an secure the head over the capping station to prevent any leaks or damage and secure against the wall-rails of the vehicle using ti-downs.

-DM

vortexblue

Thank you both for the comments.

The price was low ($1100), but the sellers were super sketchy / meth people. I had a bad feeling on the whole situation from the start, and they canceled on me at the last minute. After I was scrambling to find a box truck...

It would have been a fun come-up, but maybe it was for the better.

I've decided to go new, so I'm back to looking at a Mutoh VJ628x or the BN-20a. I'm leaning towards the Mutoh for the extra width and lack of a cutter; I have a graphtec cutter here that works great..

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thank you both for the comments.

The price was low ($1100), but the sellers were super sketchy / meth people. I had a bad feeling on the whole situation from the start, and they canceled on me at the last minute. After I was scrambling to find a box truck...

It would have been a fun come-up, but maybe it was for the better.

I've decided to go new, so I'm back to looking at a Mutoh VJ628x or the BN-20a. I'm leaning towards the Mutoh for the extra width and lack of a cutter; I have a graphtec cutter here that works great..
Sounds good. One word of caution. most people I have spoken to about 20" machines regret not getting a 30". 20" is not a common material size so you'll be stuck buying expensive stuff, pay extra for rolls to be slit, or have to slit them yourself. They aren't bad machines just inconvenient. Good luck!

vortexblue

Yes! I've been doing the due-diligence and studying the options. The BN-20a 20" width (18.5" printable) was a common complaint.
The Mutoh 24" might not be much better for printable material (still need printable material rolls cut down) but it prints the full 24". My Graphtec is a CE6000-60 (24").

Size of the machine is a minor issue; I'd rather put the machine in the office rather than the garage - it's a working garage with cars and laser cutting- so it's dirtier out there. That Mimaki deal was just forcing my hand to put it in the garage. Its a much bigger boy.

neoguri

I do have an light cyan that expires in 2023, and a light magenta that expires in a few days, but I dont use those, came with my cjv150-75.

You can try to do a head soak for 24-48 hours and see if it works. my white line looks clogged since the diaphragm is empty and nothing comes out of white, but all my colors are solid.

Either way you'd need to get a new set of ink.

You can move this machine with 2 people, take the unit off the stand and load it onto a truck bed, and tie it down good so nothing jiggles, then the stand- you can disassemble and toss anywhere.