• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion question about phone numbers

mcentyre

Just curious, but do you prefer phones numbers formated like (xxx) xxx-xxxx or xxx-xxx-xxxx?

I prefer the using (xxx), but see them both ways.

Colin

I prefer (xxx) xxx-xxxx.

(that looks like a phone number for an adult video store).

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
mcentyre said:
Just curious, but do you prefer phones numbers formated like (xxx) xxx-xxxx or xxx-xxx-xxxx?

I prefer the using (xxx), but see them both ways.

I should think that in the era before the proliferation of cell phones that the parenthetical area code was the preferred form. In those days the area code merely was a bit of auxilliary information. (666)666-6666 was appropriate then.

Now that most every being on the planet is wired for sound the area code no longer necessarly indicates a specific geopgraphy. The area code is much more part and parcel of a phone number. As such it deserves equal billing with the rest of the number. 666-666-6666 would seem to be appropriate now.

Besides, parentheses are ugly.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
We have mandatory 10 digit dialing in my area even if you call your neighbor.
I use dashes since they started overlapping area codes.

iSign

bob said:
I should think that in the era before the proliferation of cell phones that the parenthetical area code was the preferred form. In those days the area code merely was a bit of auxilliary information. (666)666-6666 was appropriate then.

Now that most every being on the planet is wired for sound the area code no longer necessarly indicates a specific geopgraphy. The area code is much more part and parcel of a phone number. As such it deserves equal billing with the rest of the number. 666-666-6666 would seem to be appropriate now.

Besides, parentheses are ugly.

I think bob makes a good point, but I also think that in my case most of my clients who even ask for an area code in their sign, are using the one & only Hawaii area code.

In this case, I think the parenthesis serve a purpose as a familiar tool for sorting information & allows the viewer to focus on the information they need (usually the last 7 digits) more quickly. In fact even those who are "selling" to the tourist population will usually hear me try to discourage them from including an area code, based solely on the less-is-more concept of keeping an uncluttered layout. The exception would be one of those long-distance cell phones with an uncommon area code required to reach them. I do see more of these as call-back numbers for my clients, but out here... nobody has asked for one on a sign yet.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
If I really have to list a phone number on a sign I prefer doing so without parenthesis. Dots or dashes will do fine. People understand it.

Most of the time phone numbers are totally useless items on signs. They consume valuable composition space on a sign face and are forgotten almost instantly. Unless you immediately write down the number or dial it into a cellphone chances are you will never remember it. How are you going to write down a number while driving? Many states are making cellphone use while driving illegal. Hopefully the business name will have made enough of an impact that you can remember that item and look it up in a phonebook.

Overall, phone numbers generally cheapen the look of a sign face. They make the business appear small time. Starbucks, Best Buy, McDonalds, IKEA and more never ever put their phone number up on their primary street and building sign displays. The extra information would clutter up the appearance and compete against the function of projecting brand identity.

JMDigital

I like the 555-555-5555 . But each customer seems to have their own way.. (the younger ones want it that way, the older ones want the (555) - 555-5555 way) Had one guy want the dashes replaces with dots...

James Tirico

My father always told me signs should be short, quick.. less characters
than you would put on a flyer, or something..
XXX-XXX-XXXX gets my vote..

personally I like using a bullet: XXX•XXX•XXXX