• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinions on table vs wall substrate cutters

redbarn

I want a machine that can rip 8ft sheets of ACM, polymetal or diebond, etc. other than the venerable table saw. Rarely use anything thicker than the 3mm. Along with coro, foamboad, sintra.

I have been considering the 98" Keencut steeltrak. In looking at some earlier posts there was a note about someone using an Evolution table cutter, scoring and then snapping the acm apart. This gives me pause because there is quite a difference in the price of the 98" steeltrak vs the 104" evolution.

Can anyone give some practical user advice as to which would be better solution from an operation standpoint?

TimToad

I think only you can answer how often you need to rip long runs of those materials.

We don't do it often enough to warrant a stand alone tool. Our Fletcher cutter goes up to 60" and then we pull out the hypoid circular saw, non-ferrous 55 tooth blade and cutting guide. If we have a ton of pieces to rip, the woodworking shop neighbors have a pretty kick *** table saw.

Unless I'm needing a tool more than a couple times a week or even a month, I'll use what we have.

DSC

The specs on the evolution don't even mention ACM panel ..

I wouldn't chance it .. It looks more like a table cutter for softer substrates only..

The keencut looks like the way to go .. It will do everything you need..

Not sure why you don't like using a table saw or a panel saw for the acm .. With the right blade you can make great cuts.. just curious ....

From an operational standpoint, get the BEST tool for the job if money is not the deciding factor.. With your 2 choices, it seems the KeenCut is the way to go..

DirtyD

At my previous shop we had both cutters - I guess you could score and snap the polymetal on the evolution I never tried. That whole mechanism is pretty stout.

I mainly used it for trimming banners, posters and softer materials after applying prints.

The keenKut is a very solid cutter especially with the cutting heads you can add to it. My only problem with that was with the polymetal cutting head it (it uses two circle blades, I can't think of what it's really called) to cut and if your cutting something thin like 1-6" it will make the polymetal bow. I might have been using it wrong but that's what it did for me.

AF

The Evolution is the wrong tool for ACM. You will love it for anything soft but ACM is beyond its design.