• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Optically Clear Matte Laminate

JLD984

Hi All, Just wondering if anybody knows of a matte laminate available for window perf? I want to wrap a vehicle in matte but there's no point if the windows are so glossy. It obviously has to be optically clear, regular matte laminate isn't visible enough.

visual800

IMO I doubt it would matter whether or not the laminate was optically clear or not on perf.

I would not advise laying a laminate on perf, what is the point? If you are going to put a laminate on perf you might as well just use a digital print

Print on the perf and leave it i think it would be fine

boxerbay

optically clear is a clear smooth vinyl.

matte vinyl is a textured face vinyl so it cant be optically clear because of its nature.

on vehicles you must laminate perf or else you will get water in the holes and visibility will be zero to none and in some places that is illegal.

I dont see any matte optically clear overlam available.

maybe you could spray on a matte coating. this way it is matte but the driver could still see out when it is not raining.

oksigns

Hi All, Just wondering if anybody knows of a matte laminate available for window perf? I want to wrap a vehicle in matte but there's no point if the windows are so glossy. It obviously has to be optically clear, regular matte laminate isn't visible enough.

A matte finish would defeat the "optically clear" purpose. Same reason glass is.. well glossy. The adhesive is the other component that contributes to the clarity over standard laminates. Just use ClearShield matte and you should be happy with the results.

Split76

I haven't seen 3m envision luster laminate, but would it be something like that.. Atleast normal envision laminate is very, very clear :D

shoresigns

A matte finish diffuses light, so I don't think it's possible. Have you ever seen a matte finish print that you can see your reflection in?

AaronSSsignsKC

Optically clear is clear so it can be seen thru any person who has laminated perf with 8518 or another gloss lam knows it isnt the same. Using a matte or luster finish is going to defeat the purpose all together.

grafixemporium

We have never and will never use vinyl lam on perf. It doesn't look good nor does it hold up well.

You should try ClearShield Classic liquid lam. It comes in Glossy, Semi Gloss and Matte finishes. Fellers carries it, but I'm not a huge fan of Fellers. We typically get it from Advantage.

Apply 3 very thin, light coats with a smooth sponge paint roller. Do not glob it on or the perf holes will get clogged up and the job will look terrible. Soak the roller, then roll off the excess liquid lam onto a scrap piece of coro or something. Using little to no downward pressure, just the weight of the roller, roll liquid lam onto a section of the perf until roller is dry. Repeat to complete 1st coat. If you press too hard with the roller, the liquid lam will clog the perf holes. I can't stress this enough. Use multiple thin, light coats. Let first coat dry to the touch. Repeat until you have 3 light, even coats.

We use ClearShield Classic Semi Gloss on most everything we do. We also keep the matte in stock for certain situation. It's a great product and holds up very, very well.

Good luck!

Andrew