• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 651 i guess i got bad roll

tomence

I just got new white roll of Oracal 651 and try to finish the job i was doing but this new roll its just to hard to weed. Same settings on my cutter never changed any settings but the weeding is too hard. I noticed that the new roll is probably little thicker and it looks more sticky than the old one i have. So dont know if i got a bad roll or is Oracal goin down in quality. Fellers told me they gonna replace it with another roll so will post tomorrow again.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Add a little more pressure or toss in a new blade.
Cheap vinyl like 651 sucks and can be inconsistent.

mshi

I have heard of that happening in high humidity or high temps but being in the midwest and fellars having ocal branches it probably is just a bad roll

one thing I've noticed on all the rolls of 651 i've used is that the last 10 yards or so the punched holes are barely punched... Using the edge it makes it almost unusable sometimes and a real PITA... I've since been using more of the 751 in place of all 651 stuff but we shall see if these rolls are the same way...

S

scarface

I don't think 651 is "cheap" vinyl, i have used it with zero problems. It weeds like a dream, i too have seen the deal with the punched holes but i don't use a edge.

vinylbarry

651 cheap vinyl??? ummm I have stuff thats 5 years old outside done with 651 and not a problem and I have some 751 thats cast that has failed in that time frame.

tomence

I use lots of 651 like i go thru 15 rolls a month so i never had problems with 651 but now it happened and yes i changed the blade i put new one same thing. This roll is unpunced, i never buy punced rolls. I will see tomorrow when i get the new one whats gonna happen. But also like i said this roll feels thicker and more stickier coz my blade cuts thru the vinyl but when you weed it out and sticks to the letters and lifts them up.

wes70

I use lots of 651 like i go thru 15 rolls a month so i never had problems with 651 but now it happened and yes i changed the blade i put new one same thing. This roll is unpunced, i never buy punced rolls. I will see tomorrow when i get the new one whats gonna happen. But also like i said this roll feels thicker and more stickier coz my blade cuts thru the vinyl but when you weed it out and sticks to the letters and lifts them up.

I'm having the same issues with a new roll of 651 red. Maybe a bad roll?

Mosh

651 is economical and yes is cheap. We used to use it on banners before the days of printing and thought it was the cat's meow! Great CHEAP film. You get what you pay for!

tomence

Mosh the thing is i have used over 200 rolls with no problem at all but this one was way different. Maybe it is cheaper vinyl but not the cheapest in the calendered vinyls right. I am not complaining at all about Oracal its just this roll happened to be a bad roll. Fellers gave me a brand new replaced the one i had and the new one is great no problem. So i guess it happens from time to time to get a bad roll of vinyl. I talk to few of my friends who are in sign business for a long time and told me even 751 they had a problem like this. So i guess it doenst matter what vinyl you use from time to time you get a bad one.

tomence

Mosh i know you are trying to get me to start using 751 but man its doubled the price. Maybe i will start using it once i land bigger jobs that pay little bit better. Or maybe i have to price things better nowadays. I know i cant lose a job over price this is what feeds my family but am not trying to be the cheapest either.

Jillbeans

I meantioned this on another post.
Same job, same day.
I cut 851 Cobalt and 951 Pure Orange. Same blade depth. Both are supposedly cast.
The 851 felt exceptionally brittle, not stretchy when weeding like normal cast. The 951 had 80% of the backer stick to the lettering when I removed the backer to apply.
It was a real PITA to pick it off each individual letter.
I use Oracal 651 on a daily basis and have yet to experience either of the problems I had with the more expensive versions that day.
I have noticed, of the last 5 yards or so on the 651 (perforated) the holes are not all the way pierced through and the ends stick together.
Only on the white and red.
Hopefully I have just had a few oddball batches, because I've always liked Oracal.
Love....Jill

axgillette

I had never used Oracal 651 before until now. So i do not have that extensive experience with it like others. The amount that i have used it for, it has worked great, in fact i felt that my machine cut it very well without changing any settings. It also weeded lots better than the Avery A6 that i have been using. I liked it so much that i am actually thinking about switching everything over to Oracal.

Yet again i have not been using it much. So this is good info for me on this since i am thinking about switching brands.

Service Sign Co

Check if the vinyl shrank,there's usually 3/32'' or so of the backing paper showing on the edge or around the punched holes, This usually means the distributor is getting rid of old stock. I send it back when I get a roll of this.It's too brittle to use.

tomence

I am not saying Oracal 651 is bad it just happens to get bad roll and the guys at fellers admit that that was a old stock they wanted to get rid of and i said sell it to somebody that buys only 1 roll in 3 months not to me buying 20 rolls a month. But everything worked perfect. I started using avery when i started the business but when i tried oracal i never looked back at anything else. Once in a while if fellers doenst have specific color in oracal but has it in 3m than i will take 3m another good vinyl to work with.