• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 651 vinyl

Cassini14

Is Oracal 651 vinyl ok to apply in vans? If not which vinyl is good for vehicle graphics? In Grimco cast vinyl takes forever to ship

CanuckSigns

always try to use cast vinyl on vehicles, however I am guilty of using 3 mil at times if needed, keep in mind it will shrink a bit and will also be harder to remove.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
always try to use cast vinyl on vehicles, however I am guilty of using 3 mil at times if needed, keep in mind it will shrink a bit and will also be harder to remove.

That's how we did it in the shop I worked in. In certain cases someone just wanted a phone number on their door for cheap so we just threw on some calendared vinyl.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
651 is good material, we also try to use cast on cars but considering all of the supply issues, sometimes you do what you have to do. It holds up well over time, it's not like it's bottom of the barrel material. We have also jumped to avery cast when it is available but sometimes you can't find what you need in any brand.

• Agree
Reactions: 2B

Stacey K

I like making signs
651 is good material, we also try to use cast on cars but considering all of the supply issues, sometimes you do what you have to do. It holds up well over time, it's not like it's bottom of the barrel material. We have also jumped to avery cast when it is available but sometimes you can't find what you need in any brand.
I just bought a 50 yd roll of 15" of intermediate instead of waiting until April for 10 yds of cast. The days of buying a couple yards of this and that seem to be gone.

gabagoo

These days a lot of companies lease their vehicles, so cast as far as lettering is not really needed. Printing is a whole other ball game

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
If you're going to use it for some cut letters or numbers, that'd be fine, but as others have said, print is another matter. Try also NGlantz or maybe Southern Sign Supply or Sign Warehouse.
Up here near Port Newark, NJ, I've been using 651 on the sides of 53' trailers for over a decade. No good around contours, even rivets. It'll tent a little but I still have trailers with vinyl from 2007 still on that looks good.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Is Oracal 651 vinyl ok to apply in vans? If not which vinyl is good for vehicle graphics? In Grimco cast vinyl takes forever to ship
Not on a new van. Always Cast, I prefer 3M 7125. If the van is an old beater with 80’k on it. Intermediate film is fine. Like 651

The Sign Goddess

Vinyl Slayer by trade
I think it depends on where you are located and your customer. We use all cast materials for anything outdoors. We've tested several different calendared vinyls through the years and they don't seem to hold up to the extreme temperature swings in MN. I've seen some shrink as much as a 1/4" over 2-3 years. We also have several customers who run their company vehicles for many years, years longer than a calendared vinyl is expected to last.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm struggling to find cast vinyl available by the yard in the colors I need...or even in a similar color. If I'm only lettering pick-up truck doors, I don't need 10 yards of 3 different colors. I sure hope this isn't going to be the norm or I'm going to have a very limited amount of colors to choose from.

AGCharlotte

we used a lot of 651 for cut work for vehicles when we acquired another shop because that's what he had been using. We've migrated the majority of that to 751. Never really had 'issues" with the 651 though our installers like 751 better and it should last longer.

Terry01

Printed a sign 20years ago on 651 using mild solvent inks. Only needed to be 24in x 6ft so instead of wasting print vinyl I just slapped it on 651. The sign was only supposed to be up for a month or so..It's still there to this day

CanuckSigns

Why would a reputable brand intermediate vinyl, printed with Genuine Roland inks not look good? needed to last short term, but customer left it on and surprisingly lasted very good here in TX weather
651 is not a printable vinyl, it's a cutting vinyl, not to say you can't print on it, buts it's not the correct product for that.