• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Our Seal 62 Base will not run in normal mode.

Dan Berg

The only way to get the normal light to come on is to engage the snail mode with the foot pedal and normal light comes on but it is in the snail mode. If you turn snail off and press the normal mode the light does not come on even when pressing the foot pedal. Opened both ends and evrerything looks normal. Both of the yellow lights are lit I believe it is on the laser but if you put a piece of paper in front of it there is no laser. That could be the issue but I am stumped right there. Both units are secure but cannot tell if they are working or not. I am thinking if they are not working properly that may keep the normal mode from working properly. Hoping I can get this going as it would cost a fortune to get someone out here from Seal.

ikarasu

Do you have the schematics on the inside?

I'm not at work right now. But you can jumper 2 pins together to bypass the safety sensor and see if the sensor is your issue. Ours went wonky, had the same issue as you and we disabled it and it works now.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
where in PA are you located? your sensor eyes are out. not too difficult of a fix....if you call Seal support they should be able to get you parts and a tech

Dan Berg

where in PA are you located? your sensor eyes are out. not too difficult of a fix....if you call Seal support they should be able to get you parts and a tech
Reading Pa.
Small one man shop with very little work for this machine so don’t have a $175 an hour to have a tech right now. It is the sensor and was hoping I could just bypass myself.

ikarasu

You can bypass it with a paperclip. I wont be in the shop for a day or two, but when I am I'll take a photo for you.

Bypassing it is dangerous though - If you put your finger between the rollers... it isnt going to stop until the machine breaks. The laminator will break your finger / hand / arm bones as well. So I suggest using it to diagnose the issue / get yourself up and running until you buy new parts and put it in yourself - but I wouldnt leave it off full time.

I'll be in the shop tomorrow or tonight.

netsol

You can bypass it with a paperclip. I wont be in the shop for a day or two, but when I am I'll take a photo for you.

Bypassing it is dangerous though - If you put your finger between the rollers... it isnt going to stop until the machine breaks. The laminator will break your finger / hand / arm bones as well. So I suggest using it to diagnose the issue / get yourself up and running until you buy new parts and put it in yourself - but I wouldnt leave it off full time.

I'll be in the shop tomorrow or tonight.
agreed! i have driven many people to the hospital with a finger in a cup of ice, over the years.
and the chain drive on that laminator is a scary looking mechanism

ikarasu

We left ours off... It was supposed to be a temp fix, but we got busy.... and our operators liked it because there was no more false tripping... so we kind of neglected it.

No one put their finger through it, but one guy was using his olfa while feeding the media through, he put the olfa down to the side... slightly on the media and hit run - The olfa went right through the roller...took a big 3" Chunk out of the roller, the olfa was squished and mangled... It was a $1200 repair to get the rubber re-sleeved.... And then we got unlazy and bought the part to fix the sensor :roflmao:

people dont pay attention 100% of the time - We got lucky and it was just a knife... had someone put their hand through there.... ignoring the damage you do to your employee, Thats the kind of thing that gets your business shut down - Purposely disabling a safety feature makes you liable as well.

It's like running a table saw without a guard - its doable, and 999 out of 1000 times you're fine - but when you mess up... its usually a life changing event. Safety is inconvenient, but its there for a reason!

netsol

yes, it's funny, there always seems to be time AFTER the accident...
(been there too many times to count!)

Dan Berg

We left ours off... It was supposed to be a temp fix, but we got busy.... and our operators liked it because there was no more false tripping... so we kind of neglected it.

No one put their finger through it, but one guy was using his olfa while feeding the media through, he put the olfa down to the side... slightly on the media and hit run - The olfa went right through the roller...took a big 3" Chunk out of the roller, the olfa was squished and mangled... It was a $1200 repair to get the rubber re-sleeved.... And then we got unlazy and bought the part to fix the sensor :roflmao:

people dont pay attention 100% of the time - We got lucky and it was just a knife... had someone put their hand through there.... ignoring the damage you do to your employee, Thats the kind of thing that gets your business shut down - Purposely disabling a safety feature makes you liable as well.

It's like running a table saw without a guard - its doable, and 999 out of 1000 times you're fine - but when you mess up... its usually a life changing event. Safety is inconvenient, but its there for a reason!
What were the parts and what did they cost. Did you fix yourself?

ikarasu

All you have to do is jump the top two wires wires on the 6 pin molex like below - in my photo, you'll see a white wire running to both. We just spliced a cable, shoved it in and replugged it in... That keeps it always open and it'll never trip. Again - do it as a temp measure for testing only. I do not recommend running it like this for long.
20230410_092158.jpg

Dan Berg

I have the Seal Base 62 and neither of my open end panels look like this.

Attachments

• IMG_2100.JPG
    IMG_2100.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

ikarasu

Look up, it's attached to the speed / snail dial.

Mines a seal 54 base, like 15 years old... So they could have made revisions, but Id think it's the same.

netsol

once it is working, you should order the parts, right away, though
45 years ago i repaired a lot of packaging equipment.
i was the only one who left the company with a full set of 10 functioning fingers

Dan Berg

Mines totally different so don't think I want to fool with it. Guess I will have to get a quote for the repair but if it is too much I will keep using it in snail mode.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
The optical sensor is the chrome device with the fetching green cap, attached to the top roller mounting plate. First time I had one fail, it was a £100 part, and took half an hour to user replace (different manufacturer, almost certainly same family of part).
Second time I got stuck in bleeping snail mode, I still had a red light from one side, but there was an aperture disk in front of one side, that seemed loose. Took it off, and had connection, until a foreign object was placed in fron of rollers, at which point, bleeping snail. Might be worth having a look, and equally, relaxing the mounting of the Tx Rx, to see if there is just a subtle out of alignment issue.