• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Out of ink... can't get hold of any til tomorrow...

Bigdawg

Just Me
My yellow just ran out... I cannot get another cartridge in here until tomorrow - HELP... what do I need to do to make this be okay until then?? If anything...

BobbyFosson

Cancel the job now and bite the bullet. Even if the job would stay in Pause until you put ink in it, you would have a pretty bad dry-line in the print where it left off.

You might try this.... pull the cartridge out and push the indicator tab back into the cartridge and put a piece of tape over it... This will make the printer think the cartridge is full again.

BobbyFosson

Should not be a problem. I would cancel the job and power it down until tomorrow. Leave the empty cart in place.

LenXIII

If its not a money issue cant you just get a cartridge locally? Like from nglantz, sign supply, fellers, or grimco?

vinylbarry

How you getting the cart?
ANybody delivery I know ups just screwed me by not delivering Thursday or Friday I had a order shipped out yesterday a 1 day ship to me and it didn't come and wont be here untill Monday now Geeshhhhhhhhh.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Getting from Sign supply - and yes I'll have it tomorrow. They are as local as we can get (an hour or so away), but I'm the only one in the shop today so no way to get it from them. As long as the machine is okay, then I'm okay with no ink until tomorrow.

iSign

I'd be interested in hearing more about this.
Is it really that simple... "power down - don't worry?"

I've never learned about any other printer than my mimaki, but mine is set to pull some ink through the heads into the waste receptacle ever 30 minutes or so, and since it doesn't wan't to pull air by accident, it shuts that feature off when any one cart is out.

So, if this were happening on a Mimaki, 24 hours without a clean cycle that is designed to run 48 times in that period would be a problem to me. I don't know how bad the problem would be & I hope i never do, but I would drop my heads into soak cleaning mode in the capping station. Barry from printingdigital.net told me how to do that when the same thing happened to me on a Friday night & I was out all weekend.

Is the Roland really that much different that you don't need to get your print heads soaking in a solvent during the wait?

Bigdawg

Just Me
BigDawg you ought to have your boss keep and extra cartridge of each color on hand!

I do... I keep a full set as a rule - and it's my responsibility to order when needed... he never questions my spending on consumables or materials. Which is great.

No - I screwed up. Went through a 440 cart in a week and a half... which I've NEVER done before. But I printed a buttload of lime green which just ate it up apparently.

Mark S. Adams

My yellow just ran out... I cannot get another cartridge in here until tomorrow - HELP... what do I need to do to make this be okay until then?? If anything...

Hey you! Where's my print job? :omg2:

Tomorrow you say? Well, fine then. :U Rock:

(Normally a lurker, but when I saw this right after talking to you on the phone, I put 2 and 2 together. :thumb:)

Mark

BobbyFosson

The only time I have run into issues with powering the Roland's off for any period of time directly related to some (not all) third party inks.

The periodic maintenance is a good feature for most but can be a bit wasteful for others. IMO.

I have purposely left the heads uncapped and my XC-540 powered off for 3 days to see what happened. Ended up having to to do a manual clean and 2 normal cleans via the Maintenance Menu before all nozzles were back to 100%.

Probably ran the same amount of ink during the 2 normal cleans that would have been used during the normal cleaning if the unit was powered on... but oh well.

Mainframe

I was told by my roland rep to leave it beep for a day or blow out of the job & power it down, either way it wouldn't matter, I powered it down & always have extra carts on hand.-or at least try to

javila

I have left my printer four about 24 hrs beeping for ink, no issues.

I've also left it off for about 24hrs after beeping, and then secondary power off, no issues.

Not sure about 5 days though.

gnatt66

just did the same thing...and all my suppliers are closed today. i was all set to drive to get some ink this morning and decided i'd call and see if they were open...nope.

UGH. i was sick of the chirping and just shut it down...i'll drive to mass tomorrow and get a cart.

hope it'll be ok. (vp-300i)

BobbyFosson

Cap the heads and you will be fine. Even uncapped, it should be fine until tomorrow. 24 hours, or so, should not cause a problem.

gnatt66

by 'capping the heads' i assume you mean to make sure the heads are resting in the capping station? pardon my noobness....