• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Overlapping Laminate

SignAnnex

Can I overlap matte finish calendar laminate? I want to use two 30" pieces of laminate overlapped about an inch on a print that approx 50" X 40". It's for a backlit sign and no I don't want to use clear shield or frog juice.

My Laminator has been down (won't turn on) for about a week now. It's a Banner American Finisher 6000. I'm in the process of getting a tech out here but it's been a real challenge with the holidays and all the snow around here. I have been getting away with a big squeegee for small stuff but I don't like to use it for anything over 36".

I had a rush job last week that I had to take (for lamination) to a "print shop" down the street. Well, when I went to pick up the prints they wanted to charge me $4.50 a square foot for calendar gloss laminate. I got them down to $3.00 sq. ft. which I still felt was high. My fault for not inquiring about price before dropping them off, is this the going rate?

jwright350

Wow! Talk about kicking you when you're down. I wholesale lamination for $1 for calendared to my sign shop buddies.

But anyhow, if you try to overlap it you will get a darker spot because its matte.

Why not hand laminate using application fluid? Not that hard at all if you have a helper.

Tony McD

So you are laminating a backlit print, and your print is one full piece but your wanting to seam the laminate?
In my experience with backlit stuff...it shows everything.
I think you will see the one inch seam.
If you did have to seam it, maybe about 1/4" overlap and try
to the seem on an element of some sort so it isn't as noticeable.

The best way..avoid the seam.

petesign

Wow. Wish I could charge that to laminate for people. Once they saw my Daige though, they would likely leave. HAHAHAHAHA.

Cast laminate, maybe, but wholesaling calendared laminate for that is nuts. I had a shop down the street call me and tell me their laminator was on the fritz a few weeks ago. I told them they were welcome to bring their own laminate and come over and use mine. Bottom line is, you never know when your equipment is going to go down when you need it most. Sure is nice to know all I have to do is pick up the phone and run down the street if need be.

SignAnnex

Why not hand laminate using application fluid? Not that hard at all if you have a helper.

I have been told that using application fluid inbetween a print and laminate is not good for the life of the print?

I figured the lap would show up because of the matte finish. I'm going to shop around for a better price. Just didn't expect someone to charge so much. Hell I even asked them what type of laminate they had loaded in their machine.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The 'Going Rate' doesn't much matter when your butt's in a jam.

As for your backlit application.... you better think again about your methods, backs21.

For the most part, digital media for translucent prints is basically a cast type media and you shouldn't put calendared over-top. Anyway, in our shop it's cast. Wouldn't think of using anything less. Also, the seam will show instantly and only get worse as time goes by. Also, I've never used a wet method with laminate either. I don't think it's a recommended method by most..... including the manufacturers.

SignAnnex

As for your backlit application.... you better think again about your methods, backs21.

For the most part, digital media for translucent prints is basically a cast type media and you shouldn't put calendared over-top. Anyway, in our shop it's cast. Wouldn't think of using anything less. Also, the seam will show instantly and only get worse as time goes by. Also, I've never used a wet method with laminate either. I don't think it's a recommended method by most..... including the manufacturers.

They're not exactly "My Methods", that's way I was asking for input. I use Oracal 3850 which is a calandered translucent.

I'm going to take them somewhere to be laminated, thanks for everyones help in the matter.

Knep

I recently had to have some 3mij180c laminated, on the phone they told me 2.50 per linear foot...I was in a pinch and dropped off 30' of material...went to pick it up, they said since it was 3mIJ180C they had to charge me 4.25...I was rather pissed, but what do u do? I gritted my teeth, paid the bill and went on...This is a place next town over that I know them very well, have done business with them, and even sent them customers on stuff they do that I dont...I bought a big squeegee now, so on smaller stuff I wont have the problem untill I get a laminator!

CheapVehicleWrap

What goes around comes around, especially with laminators. Had somethin similar happen once.

You problem sound likely easy to fix. You've checked safeteys and fuses correct?