• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

p22 arts and crafts font

Shovelhead

:popcorn:

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 83

signguy54

Not an artist
Shovelhead

it's to match door lettering...lol..it's not even me but a friend in the sign industry who is doing it.

i found a "clone" font - semiramus from a feree sight.

everything the same except maybe 1-2 letters

btw - i love your avatar and wholeheartedly agree!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
it's to match door lettering...lol..it's not even me but a friend in the sign industry who is doing it.

i found a "clone" font - semiramus from a feree sight.

everything the same except maybe 1-2 letters

btw - i love your avatar and wholeheartedly agree!

Congratulations! You have succeeded in getting out of paying the artist who designed a tool you will use to earn a profit. :rolleyes:

signguy54

Not an artist
point well taken...

but Dard Hunter has been dead for years.

43 of 'em.

why support the many foundries offering versions who are ghoulishly profiteering from a dead guy.

but i could be wrong.

i would never use another sign person's design (without compensation) but i'm not so much a stickler for a font like this.

Shovelhead

43 of 'em.

why support the many foundries offering versions who are ghoulishly profiteering from a dead guy.

but i could be wrong.

i would never use another sign person's design (without compensation) but i'm not so much a stickler for a font like this.

oy vey

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

43 of 'em.

but i could be wrong.

Yes but Mr. Hunter and his estate was compensated by companies who seek a fair return on the investment they made when they compensated Mr. Hunter or his heirs.

If one didn't create it the chances are that some one else did and hopes to be fairly compensated for their efforts. That same expectation is reasonable on the part of those who legally acquired rights to the designs.

signguy54

Not an artist
i don't want to be argumentative

Yes but Mr. Hunter and his estate was compensated by companies who seek a fair return on the investment they made when they compensated Mr. Hunter or his heirs.

If one didn't create it the chances are that some one else did and hopes to be fairly compensated for their efforts. That same expectation is reasonable on the part of those who legally acquired rights to the designs.

I am truly sorry for any seeming contentiousness in this thread. But there is some misinformation concerning copyright law concerning fonts. The estate of Dard Hunter received nothing for the artistic content of his fonts. The reason for this is the appearance or artistic content of fonts is not copyrightable. That is, they(foundries) didn't pay because they didn't have to. This was established in 1976 before the onslaught of computers into the graphic design field. The only part of computer fonts that is copyrightable is the program - the Post Script stuff or the True Type stuff.

This has been tested in the courts a number of times, and much to the artists dismay the foundries are free to copy fonts exactly as to appearance. Theoretically any one of us could take a font - convert it to outlines - change a few nodes - and make it our own. this has led to other court cases between font foundries. They have had similar results.

To be sure, font foundries can give value added to fonts - usable format - high quality rendering,accessibility, etc. Some have artistic staffs that develop new fonts. But they also take other people's creations - put them into a file and prosper off of them. I am not condoning or defending the system - just describing it.

So I standby my earlier characterization of some foundries as ghoulish.

Also a note on cloned fonts. If you ever have used the font packages in Corel, Adobe, Flexi, or other similar programs you have most probably used cloned fonts. Even if you paid a foundry 20-30-70-200 dollars for a font - they may very well be cloned from a font from a different source.

Attempts to protect the font artist have not been adequate. I guess the thing I'm saying is the money you pay to a font foundry probably does not benefit the font artist.

I have many reference sources on what I am saying. Most probably explain it better than I could. A good starting point could be

about

I have been dismayed by the laws concerning fonts and copyrights. It isn't right but I didn't create the system.

If anyone wants or needs any more references they could email me

thesignguy@roadrunner.com